#1 Babs&Chris

Babs&Chris
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts
  • Local time: 04:03 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17SD
  • Interests:Cycling, hiking, paddling, history

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:58 AM

All that lovely wall space! Looking for ideas for storage on that wall. Pockets of some type to hold reading glasses, maybe some magazines, the remote for the TV, phones. Best way to attach to MDF wall? I am thinking of drilling through the wall and inserting a dowels that go through to the other side, then gluing small wooden knobs to the ends of the dowels on each side so I can hang something from the knobs. Does anyone have any other ideas, and if there is a reason I shouldn't drill through the wall, please tell me quickly!

#2 rocksncactus

rocksncactus
  • Casita Club Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:35 AM

Why drill holes when there are so many options like 3M stick-on hooks and two-sided tape, etc.? I saw the other day that there's a company listed here on the website that custom makes all kinds of items for add-on storage in Casitas. I can't remember exactly how I found them, but it's on the page with Little House Customs and Southern Mattress. Oh, maybe it is Little House Customs! :-D
  • Babs&Chris likes this

#3 midemd

midemd
  • Casita Club Member
  • 120 posts
  • Local time: 11:03 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

Here is what we've done on the wall on the bed side of the divider - we purchased one of those bedside caddies that tuck under the mattress. I then folded the flap and sewed a header for a dowel. The dowel sits on 3M hooks. We do take it down and put in on the bed for travel. I didn't want to drill any holes and this works really well to store our Kindles/Nooks, glasses, tissue and any other small items we need to have close at hand.

100_1904.jpg

Edited by midemd, 30 April 2013 - 09:31 AM.

• cmac, Babs&Chris and molliesbest like this

#4 Babs&Chris

Babs&Chris
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:09 AM

That looks great, Midemd! Pretty much what I was thinking of. Where did you buy the caddy? My experience with stick on hooks through the years has not been very positive, though, so I didn't want to depend on them. Apparently they are working well for you? Yes, we have bought a lot of stuff from Little House Customs, but I didn't think they had anything that suited me for this particular application. I think their closet shelves are a little overkill, too, so I like some of the ideas by individual owners that I have found here. We did find Ann Condon on Little House Customs site and have splurged on a stained glass door window and should be getting it soon.

#5 midemd

midemd
  • Casita Club Member
  • 120 posts
  • Local time: 11:03 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:54 AM

Caddy was bought at Bed, Bath & Beyond. The command hooks seem to work well in this application. Since I've taken that picture I have removed them and moved them up just a bit. We also did the closet shelf modification, leaving just enough room for light jackets and it's working well.
  • Babs&Chris likes this

#6 Babs&Chris

Babs&Chris
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:19 AM

Thanks so much to the lady who recommended double stick tape instead of drilling! I made my wall caddy this weekend, stained wooden knobs to match the laminate, and stuck them to the wall with the sticky tape. They seem to be very firmly attached, and no holes in the wall! I am going to do another caddy for the other side of the wall, but it will be smaller so it doesn't interfere with sitting at the table.

Attached Thumbnails

• photo.JPG

• midemd, fella10 and molliesbest like this

#7 fella10

fella10
  • Casita Club Member
  • 430 posts
  • Local time: 03:03 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:SD 17'

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:25 AM

great idea, my wife loves to sew, I can see this hanging in ours also, thanks
  • Babs&Chris likes this

#8 rocksncactus

rocksncactus
  • Casita Club Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

Babs and Chris, I like how yours turned out. That's what I was thinking of. We looked at a bunch of R-pods early on, and they have wall hangers very similar to yours. I thought they were a great idea for stashing stuff. Where did you purchase yours?

Glad the tape worked out for you.
  • Clive likes this

#9 Babs&Chris

Babs&Chris
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

I had to make mine. My husband sleeps on that side and he did not want anything sticking out very far from the wall so I couldn't find anything that would work--I was going to use a fabric shoe holder thing and cut it to fit, but it looked like more work than doing it from scratch. It was extremely simple (or I couldn't have done it!) and took about an hour.
We almost bought an R-pod but when I started reading about mileage complaints, it was a no-go. We had one last trailer to look at and I told my husband that if I didn't like the Casita I was ready to drop the idea of a trailer. Luckily, it was love at first sight!
  • partslady9 likes this

#10 WalkerSkyRanch

WalkerSkyRanch
  • Casita Club Member
  • 83 posts
  • Local time: 01:03 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2012 Casita Spirit Deluxe
  • Casita Club Directory #:3856

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:54 AM

Does anyone know if that wall is easily removed? I could see people upgrading the MDF to pine, oak, maple ect?

Edited by WalkerSkyRanch, 28 July 2013 - 09:17 PM.

Les and Cheri Walker
Casita Club Member #3856

#11 fella10

fella10
  • Casita Club Member
  • 430 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

Does anyone know if that wall is easy removed? I could see people upgrading the MDF to pine, oak, maple ect?

very easy to remove, mine had one screw in the top cabinet and five in the lower cabinet(#2 sq drive bit or screwdriver) and it is not necessary for structural support if you choose to leave it out,...we like the more openness of the trailer with it removed

Edited by fella10, 28 July 2013 - 11:21 AM.

• WalkerSkyRanch and molliesbest like this

#12 WalkerSkyRanch

WalkerSkyRanch
  • Casita Club Member
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

Thanks Fella10, great info,
I wonder if anyone has replaced theirs with a different wood? Or something else? like the Oliver with the chrome tubing?

Does anyone know if that wall is easy removed? I could see people upgrading the MDF to pine, oak, maple ect?

very easy to remove, mine had one screw in the top cabinet and five in the lower cabinet(#2 sq drive bit or screwdriver) and it is not necessary for structural support if you choose to leave it out,...we like the more openness of the trailer with it removed

Les and Cheri Walker
Casita Club Member #3856

#13 fella10

fella10
  • Casita Club Member
  • 430 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:33 AM

I made a removable back support for the back cushion of that seat out of 1/2" cabinet grade plywood, the thickness is a perfect fit for the void left by removing the wall and IMO would certainly be an attractive look if someone wanted to use it to replace the MDF

Edited by fella10, 28 July 2013 - 11:58 AM.

#14 Rob and Linda

Rob and Linda
  • Casita Club Member
  • 627 posts
  • Local time: 02:03 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Airstream 23D
  • Interests:Photography, woodworking, fly fishing, hiking/backpacking, audio, Porsches.
  • Trailer Name:Fortune Cookie

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:07 PM

Yes, I think that there are several who have replaced, and otherwise, modified the divider. I used whit ash when I re-made ours. Rob

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_4867.1.JPG

Edited by Rob and Linda, 28 July 2013 - 12:08 PM.

• WalkerSkyRanch and Charley in Tennessee like this

Rob & Linda, Hurst, Texas
Our ex-Casita Photos
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd300/albums/72157626742329244

Airstream Photos - https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd300/albums/72157663633667345
2014 Airstream 23D International Serenity
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5 EcoBoost Max Tow

#15 WalkerSkyRanch

WalkerSkyRanch
  • Casita Club Member
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:34 PM

WOW.. thats beautiful!

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen shot 2013-07-28 at 7.34.49 PM.jpg

Edited by WalkerSkyRanch, 28 July 2013 - 06:37 PM.

• molliesbest likes this
Les and Cheri Walker
Casita Club Member #3856