4 replies to this topic

#1 fella10

fella10
  • Casita Club Member
  • 430 posts
  • Local time: 10:53 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:SD 17'

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:40 AM

our Liberty is due for pick-up last week in May, so I still have a little time to make changes to invoice, trying to get info about the tv antenna, have read many post about antennas, but most are years old(2005, 06, 07) and refer to bad Casita ant. and wanting to try a different one---- I know Casita changes/updates items along the way and don't know if the ant. of today is the ant. of yesteryear, if I understand correctly what is used now is hidden/built-in into the shell but I can't find a name or model # or any post as to if the present model is any good,--- they want $179.00 which is a lot if it is something that is no good and I will want to replace it immediately----I would really appreciate any feedback from anyone with a newer trailer and their experience with the ant., plus if anyone knows the name and model # of what is used today I could search with that info. as well, -----a sincere "thank you" to anyone who can provide helpful information on this topic

#2 trikerbob

trikerbob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 163 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:none--sold
  • Interests:Music-(I'm an old drummer), R/C aircraft, motorcycles, hiking.

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:06 AM

Hello there, fella. We have a 2013 SD, 17', with the built-in antenna. We also have the factory TV with the DVD player. Now first, we're not big on TV when we're out in the Casita. We've been to Fairfield State Park, and Mission Tejas State Park so far, and we've been able to pick up maybe four channels, all digital, at each of the parks. We mainly got the TV so we would have the DVD player for the shows we want. We have Dish here at home, and it's basically 150 channels of nothing but commercials, so I'm not a big fan of TV period. I'm not familiar with the brand name of the antenna or booster, but considering where we were, I would say it works fairly well. It takes the TV a few seconds to scan and find the stations, but that's normal.
I know this isn't very much info, since we've only had our trailer since January, but I hope it helps.
Travel safe, and congratulations on your purchase. We love ours and I know you will love yours, too.
Robert

#3 fella10

fella10
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 430 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:SD 17'

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

Hello there, fella. We have a 2013 SD, 17', with the built-in antenna. We also have the factory TV with the DVD player. Now first, we're not big on TV when we're out in the Casita. We've been to Fairfield State Park, and Mission Tejas State Park so far, and we've been able to pick up maybe four channels, all digital, at each of the parks. We mainly got the TV so we would have the DVD player for the shows we want. We have Dish here at home, and it's basically 150 channels of nothing but commercials, so I'm not a big fan of TV period. I'm not familiar with the brand name of the antenna or booster, but considering where we were, I would say it works fairly well. It takes the TV a few seconds to scan and find the stations, but that's normal.
I know this isn't very much info, since we've only had our trailer since January, but I hope it helps.
Travel safe, and congratulations on your purchase. We love ours and I know you will love yours, too.
Robert

thanks Robert, we're not big on tv either, almost only use it for watching an occasional dvd, have already purchased a very inexpensive 19" 12 volt tv/dvd player combo for that purpose. So, am very close to cancelling the antenna package, like I said above, have read many complaints about the installed antenna, but they are several yrs. old and I'm wondering if the antenna has been replace with a more reliable one. If the present antenna is for sure worth the investment, then it can be a valuable feature when it is time to play Charles Ingalls and pass our "little house on the road" on to it's next owners. Anyway, thanks for your input.

Edited by fella10, 16 April 2013 - 03:25 PM.

#4 trikerbob

trikerbob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 163 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:none--sold
  • Interests:Music-(I'm an old drummer), R/C aircraft, motorcycles, hiking.

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:12 PM

One thing I didn't mention, and you may know it already, but the antenna has a booster that can be turned on and off, and it does seem to make a difference. And also, there is an external coax plug in on the outside corner, so I "assume" an external antenna could be plugged in there.

Stay safe,

Robert

#5 highwayfl

highwayfl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 602 posts
  • Local time: 11:53 PM
  • Interests:Long distance hiking, backpacking, seeing what is out there so as to lessen the regrets of mark Twain, plus sea kayak touring, kayak fishing the salt water flats and surf fishing, accumulating memories now, while I can, to remember later, when I cannot.

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:32 AM

One thing I didn't mention, and you may know it already, but the antenna has a booster that can be turned on and off, and it does seem to make a difference. And also, there is an external coax plug in on the outside corner, so I "assume" an external antenna could be plugged in there.

Stay safe,

Robert

I suspect the external coax connection point on aft port corner of the Casita is for a cable connection. At least that is what I have on my 2000 Casita. I have used it just once but is nice to have if you ever find yourself paying more for some campground with more creature comforts, like cable.

Use a coax jumper cable from the coax connection point on CG's power pedastal and plug other end into the aforementioned connection point on your Casita, then hook up the cable end squiurreled away inside your long overhear cabinet at back of Casita to your television and, viola...cable TV!.
'00 Casita, 16' SD 3936 - "Motel One"
'02 Jeep Wrangler, Straight 6, 4.0 L, 4WD, 5-speed
Pulling the Egglet with Aplomb!