#1 Huevo Movil

Huevo Movil
  • Casita Club Member
  • 913 posts
  • Local time: 05:40 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:None att :-(
  • Casita Club Directory #:3089

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

DISCLAIMER: No paragraphs just my thoughts and obersvation during our 8 - 18 Mar 2013 trip.

READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

Started my trip to GE&H III on the afternoon of Friday 8 Mar 13 with an initial two (2) day stay at the Corps Of Engineer (COE) Piney Grove Campground Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway at Bay Springs Lake located in New Site, MS. What a nice facility. Albeit they were not fully “open” the majority of sites and services were available. If anyone ever decides to go, the crown jewel site is 118 (180 degree view of the Tombigbee River) followed closely with 106 (direct shore access). I was in 108 which was not bad, but unfortunately I had a very rude neighbor in 107 replete with yappy dog, wind chimes, and an oblivious attitude that the park was all hers… luckily she came in on my last night there. As you can imagine there is NOTHING close by. However there was a gem in the rough on Highway 30 I think? The place is called the Hill Top Restaurant. WOW! When exiting the park make a right hand turn at the “T” and that road will eventually “T” again. The restaurant will be on your left. You’ll be sorry if you miss it. Nothing fancy just good back woods chow, Yum, yum. On Sunday, 10 Mar 13 I started heading towards the COE Twiley Branch Campground at Collinsville, GA. Ech… is all I can say. It appeared to be more of an RV storage lot with water and electric hook ups… I’m no premodona but I don’t need to practice to be miserable…This place was way to rustic for me… toilets where pit toilets and the closest shower was 1.5 miles away from my site. Had enough of these facilities in the service… However, the deciding factor on me leaving were the flies, they were awful! The host indicated that it was due to the recent flooding, but I question that… Either way I had reservations for two (2) nights but left after one (1). All in all you’re not missing anything here. Since it was raining heavily, and it was not expected to clear up until late afternoon I started my travels on Monday 11 Mar 13, towards the COE Chilatchee Creek Camp ground on the William “Bill” Dannelly Reservoir. Along the way I stopped for lunch at the Four Gals Restaurant, in Coffeeville, AL (located on the SE corner of 84 and 31). You can’t miss it it’s the only building there. I have eaten there before when I stayed at the COE Service Campground down the road a piece and they came through again with a GREAT lunch meal. I had the fried chicken (Breast and wing) with sides of cheesy potatoes, greens, cornbread, rice pudding and tea. Yummy! The chicken was delicious and not a drop of grease was encountered. I highly recommend this place if you’re passing thru. Enough about food… Chitaclee Creek is located waaaaayyyyy off the black top road. In fact you have to travel almost 1.2 miles on a Wilcox County dirt road before you hit the park entrance. I’m told that the County owns the road and they won’t pave it nor will they allow the Fed’s to pave it either… Go figure, I guess that’s “Government” at work. Bottom line is that the dirt road is not that bad, but since it had been raining all day the front of the Casita was a mess when I arrived at the check in both. Luckily the dump station was right there and I was able to hose her down. This park is magnificent. Tall trees, almost all off the sites have waterfront views, nice clean bath house (with real toilets). In all there were maybe 7 campers utilizing the 47 improved sites. Sites are large, and most importantly it was nice and quiet. I chose this camp as it provides direct access to Gees Bend where I plan to ride the ferry to Camden on Wednesday morning. I meant to ride the ferry last year but quite honestly I forgot… Drove to Gees Bend today and well, how do I say this… there is nothing there except the Ferry Terminal and the Quilt Cooperative that was closed. Other than that, we (Daisy the wonder dog and I) just walked around the campground, sat in front of the campfire and did nothing. Life is GOOD! Well its Wednesday 13 Mar 13 and I’m off to the Ferry. Rode the Ferry for the whole 15 minute trip to the Camden Landing, it was neat and it only cost $5.00 for the Truck/Casita, Daisy and I. One less experience checked off of the bucket list… Made it to GE&H III and it was great to see everyone again and meet new friends. Let me just say that the weather, food and friendship was outstanding! The Chili Dump was GREAT; the Gumbo feast was GREAT; the BBQ was GREAT and the pot luck was GREAT as well! I must have gained 10 pounds with all the eating that I did. Overall I think this was the best iteration of this rally yet. Left Millers Ferry early Sunday morning as I had to get back to HSV PDQ for some work issues… However on the way home I found a little hole in the wall place that had 2 Police vehicles and an Ambulance in front of it called The Kalico Kitchen in Marion, AL at the cross roads of Highway 14 and 5. What a wonderful breakfast buffet! They had the thick bacon cooked extra crisp, eggs, pancakes, grits, biscuits, coffee, the works all for $7.99!!! I filled my belly and continued the quest home. I even snuck out a few pieces of bacon for Daisy, she loved them! I arrived at the homestead a little bit before noon, tired, fatter, and with great memories of a wonderful rally. Look forward to seeing everyone again next year.
  • kolleel likes this

Live well, life is very good!!!
Best. Shorty sends...
Rocket City USA, AL

2014 Roadtrek 190 Popular,  "Big Edna II"  :D

1999 Coach House 192KS Wide Body, aka "Big Edna"  (Sold, but not forgotten also... :unsure:)
2007 Casita 17' FD - (R/V Huevo Movil - RIP - Died on I-75)
2006 Casita 17' SD - (Sold, but not forgotten!)
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.”
- Ronald Reagan

#2 MMoe

MMoe
  • Casita Club Member
  • 318 posts
  • Local time: 05:40 AM

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

That's a wrap Shorty. Glad to hear of your adventures. I agree the rally was a wonderful one.
Moe
2009 17' FD (now a FreeSpirit)
2008 Avalanche