• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GMikeA

GMikeA
  • Casita Club Member
  • 41 posts
  • Local time: 07:13 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:1986 M-16 Liberty Deluxe
  • Interests:Ham Radio K5NAN, Skiing, Hiking am restoring old Honda Mini-Trails circa 1970s. Astronomy (C-8) and Dobson.
    Retired Motorola

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:35 AM

Greetings from east Texas. I purchased a 1986 SD two weeks ago knowing that I had a sadly neglected camper on my hands. I had read several forums and felt (feel) confident that I can restore this back to a more pristine little house. After digging into the camper I see how deceitful the user trailer dealer was and a down right liar. But that's a whole "nother" story and with that being said I am moving forward. [guess not all Texans are trustworthy anymore as the ones I grew up with]

One of my primary dilemnas is the wall carpet. There are rust stains on the ceiling areas where screws or bolts rusted and seeped downwards, The overall carpet is now a dull blue-grey unlike the great blue in the closet areas. I have seen one or two threads whereby the interior was gutted and then all new carpet or in some cases a liner of reflectex(sp) and then a covering of material from the Scamp store. I have also seen references to taking RIT dye and creating a new color and finally I have read about using steamers or carpet cleaners etc and going that route. Logic tells me to try and clean first, then dye and finally die while gutting it and putting in all new wall carpet. :)

If anyone has first hand experience on any of the above I am open to suggestions. In the mean time I am stripping everything out. The floor wood is totally rotted and sponged out badly from water. It looks like the fridge leaked water for years. The rivet holes are more like divot holes and the wiring looked like some of the pictures you see of birds nests. I want to save the back shelf as its contoured to the wall and perhaps the kitchen overhead cupboard but everything else will be replaced with real cabinets (maybe the back too).

This wont be a weekend project but I do intend to take lots of pictures to chart my progress and I doubt if I would tackle this again. I kept looking on CL and eBay for used Casitas and by the time I would see the ad and call it would be sold. That went on for months and months until I saw and grabbed this one knowing that it would be a challenge.
Thanks for taking to time to read this and respond if you have a suggestion.

Mike

Attached Thumbnails

• 003.JPG
  • 004.JPG

#2 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,650 posts
  • Local time: 04:13 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:10 AM

Since you're not that far from the factory, you might consider gutting the interior and then running it down to Rice to have them install new carpeting.

Eileen
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#3 GMikeA

GMikeA
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 41 posts
  • Local time: 07:13 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:1986 M-16 Liberty Deluxe
  • Interests:Ham Radio K5NAN, Skiing, Hiking am restoring old Honda Mini-Trails circa 1970s. Astronomy (C-8) and Dobson.
    Retired Motorola

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:22 AM

True I am only an hour and a half away. I can certainly call them for a quote. Thanks for the idea

Mike