Photo

So Many Choices, But Maybe A Casita? Hello From Maryland!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 countrysunshyn

countrysunshyn
  • Casita Club Member
  • 8 posts
  • Local time: 07:02 PM

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

My husband and I have been looking at travel trailers for awhile, something we can tow with our Ford Excursion. Up until now, we have been looking at units like Jayco Eagles and Rockwood Signatures, etc. because that is what the local RV dealers and annual RV shows have to show us. We thought purchasing one of these was the direction we were headed, but after just now hearing about Casitas, we're not so sure. Unfortunately, the showroom in Texas is a long ways from Baltimore, and we wish there was a Casita dealership on the East Coast. Casita did give us the contact info for a local owner, so we will be contacting him soon. We have joined this forum to learn more about Casitas and have already learned so much just from reading your comments.

My husband believes we will be happiest in a 17' deluxe. We are still trying to envision the different model layouts and are busy studying the brochures that Casita mailed us as well as looking at pictures online. The Liberty seems nice, but it sounds like the Spirit may be the most popular. Most of the time, it will be just the two of us (plus 2 small dogs) in the trailer with an occasional visiting teenage girl. We will most likely camp up and down the East Coast for a few years, but after my husband retires in about 5 years, we may consider RVing several months at a time as we travel around the country.

We are interested in either a new or used Casita, but so far, have seen hardly any used ones for sale anywhere close to us.

Thanks for the opportunity to join this forum and to learn more about Casitas. We've certainly read mostly positive feedback and that is exciting!!
Brenda & Tom
Ellicott City, MD
  • JKM127 likes this

#2 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer
  • Admin
  • 4,025 posts
  • Local time: 04:02 PM
  • Casita Club Directory #:1000

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

Welcome to both of you!

Eric B)

The Casita Club

----------

Here is a video tutorial on how to upload images to your post:
How To Attach an Image to Your Post

#3 olddaff

olddaff
  • Casita Club Member
  • 16 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17/Liberty
  • Interests:Golf, travel both around the world and across the country even to Canada

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

I traveled from Indiana with two grandsons all the way to Nova Scotia last summer so long trips are possible using a Casita. I worked with the two teens and we developed a system where we each had jobs to do as soon as we found our spot. We got it down to a science and could set up in about 15 minutes with water electric and leveling of the Casita done. It was fun and the boys never complained. They slept in the near queen size in the back and I used the smaller bed on the side very comfortably. We even found a local TV station to check weather in most spots. 3840 mile trip and we could find a spot using GPS to stop for the night with little trouble. What a hoot! Some advantages of a Casita...they are quiet with little noise from the outside in crowded camp grounds. Ease of pulling even with my Saturn Vue V-6. Regurarly 70 miles per hour without problem. Good luck and have fun!

#4 countrysunshyn

countrysunshyn
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

Hi Olddaff,
Thanks for your reply. We are currently interested in a 17' Liberty and my husband has a few questions.

1. How long can you dry camp without having to empty gray and black water tanks? Do you have or would you have liked to have the larger fresh water tank 925 gal)?
2. Are there any issues with emptying the gray and black water systems? Some RVs are difficult to drain.
3. How does your trailer perform in cold weather in regards to the water, furnace? Any freezing pipes? Are heat strips needed?
4. Do you use a generator/electric heaters in addition to the furnace? What size generator do you recommend in order to handle the AC and other other ac loads?
5. Any other lessons learned or "wish I had..." before we look into possibly ordering a unit?

Thanks Olddaff

#5 schatzie

schatzie
  • Casita Club Member
  • 225 posts
  • Local time: 06:02 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' SD

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

Hello Countrysunshyn and welcome to the club! My wife and I looked at RV's for 2 or 3 years before deciding on a Casita 17' SD. We attended many RV shows in Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio, but could never find a unit that we really liked. We were ready to buy a new Airstream from a local dealer, but then thought we would check out Scamp and Casita. We drove to Minnestoa to tour the Scamp factory, then to Texas to tour the Casita factory. Our mind was made up when we saw the Casita. It had everything the Airstream had, except for the weight. and at a fraction of the cost. We bought our Casita new in 2009 and know that we made the right choice for us. We ordered all the options except for the TV shelf and the microwave.

I would highly recommend the larger fresh water tank and the high lift axle. We do not miss not having a microwave and really like the extra storage that we gained by not getting it. Emptying the black and gray tanks is quick and simple and problem free. We have only camped from May through November, so I cannot reply to winter camping. The Casita is a great RV and we have had zero problems with our unit to date. I would highly recommend getting the rubber door stop (looks like a small, half rubber ball) to protect the door if it gets away from you in a high wind. The vynal floor will make cleanup much easier and you could use a carpet runner for added comfort.

The staff at Casita Company is highly knowledgeable and nothing short of fantastic. Our sales rep was Jeane Ivie and we would highly recommend her. To say that we are 100% satisfied with the Casita staff and our Casita trailer would be an understatement. Best of luck with your search and decision and hope the two of you are as pleased as we are with whatever you decide upon.

Bob & Ginny
Bob & Ginny Schattschneider
South Milwaukee, WI.
2009 Casita 17' SD
2004 Ford F-150 FX4

#6 Woodworker

Woodworker
  • Casita Club Member
  • 54 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 Casita SD, 17'
  • Interests:Photography, Bike Riding and, Canoeing

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:26 AM

Hello Tom & Brenda, we had a 2002 LD and we just sold it this past summer to a couple in Ellicott City. We liked the large bed but wanted a place to site and eat without taking the bed apart and setting up the table when the weather is bad outside. We also wanted a place for our grandson to sleep so this summer we purchased a 2011 SD. We love the dinette and being able to look outside. We also like the amount of sunshine the window lets in at the front of the trailer. I would suggest the larger water tank. We didn't get the furnace this time because we usually have hookups so we just use a 1500 watt electric heater. We go camping from April to October and the heater works fine. I have also had it on in January when working in the trailer and once it warms up it's fine. I also have a Honda 2000 generator which runs everything, just not at the same time. I didn't want a large one due to the weight and fuel consumpsion. We live in Baltimore. Please feel free to contact us.

Mark & Deb

Edited by Woodworker, 13 February 2013 - 04:26 AM.

2011 Casita Spirit Deluxe
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 4x4 Truck

#7 countrysunshyn

countrysunshyn
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:32 AM

Wow, I posted less than 24 hours ago and have already received a couple of informative replies to Tom's questions. Thanks!

Mark & Deb - We have yet to hear back from the couple Casita recommended that we contact to see their unit. Would you be willing to give us a tour of yours at a time that is convenient for you? If so, what is the best way to exchange phone numbers, address etc. to set it up? Tom is an avid cyclist - I'm sure he would enjoy talking to you about that as well!

#8 trikerbob

trikerbob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 163 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:none--sold
  • Interests:Music-(I'm an old drummer), R/C aircraft, motorcycles, hiking.

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

Brenda and Tom,
Since my wife, Lisa, and I are new to this, also, I thought I'd put my two cents in. We got the 2013 17' Spirit DLX, and we love it, but naturally, we're starting to do modifications. We keep the rear bed 'made' and ready to use, since we have the separate dining area. It's just the two of us, plus Lisa's toy poodle. We've only made one trip so far in the month we've had the trailer, so we're still getting used to the close quarters, but we're doing fine. Our sales lady was Carla, and like you've already heard, these folks are great. Fortunately, we only live 70 miles or so from the factory. We filled up the gray water tank in two days, but we're still learning the fine art of quick showers. We opted for getting our own microwave and we don't regret it a bit. We found a nice little Sharp Carousel that fits right in the cabinet. The black water tank was nowhere near full. Emptying out, even for our first time, was a piece of cake, and it didn't take long, either. The little heat strip in the AC unit heats really well. But like most others, when we're home, we use a small 110 vlt heater to keep things acclimated. We have the furnace, but have never used it so far. I've tried it out, and it HEATS VERY WELL. I'm sure that we'll be using state parks or places with water and electrics, so I don't know if we'll ever be dry camping, but who knows. Maybe further down the road....?

Good luck on your decision, whatever you choose, but you can't go wrong with a Casita.

Robert

#9 trikerbob

trikerbob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 163 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:none--sold
  • Interests:Music-(I'm an old drummer), R/C aircraft, motorcycles, hiking.

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

Brenda and Tom,
I don't mean to bend your ear, but let me add something I've found out so far. There are some very knowledgeable people on this site. They've been there, done that, and are very willing to share with us newbies. I've learned a LOT from these nice folks. Some things are so simple, you wonder why you didn't think of them yourself. But it's a great site, as you will find out for yourself.

I'll shut up now.

Take care, Robert
  • JKM127 likes this

#10 countrysunshyn

countrysunshyn
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:52 AM

Hi Robert,
Thanks for sharing your "two cents" with us. I can understand your comment about getting used to the close quarters. I can't help but wonder HOW close it will be with both of us and 2 small dogs moving about in a 17' camper. My better half has spent a lot of time in submarines, so he feels "well trained" for this style of living. He is very resourceful, a MacGyver-type man, and I smile thinking about all of the ways he will come up with to make the best use of every square inch in that camper and in our Excursion.

Your info, plus that of the previous folks who replied, about the tanks, microwave, generator, furnace, vinyl floor, rubber door stop, etc. is much appreciated.

Please - "bend our ears" - we joined this forum to learn, learn, learn and we welcome your feedback and conversations. We are going to the RV show at the Timonium Fairgrounds (near Baltimore) tomorrow just because it is an opportunity to learn more about RVing in general. There won't be any Casitas there, but at least we will look at the smallest campers and do our best to envision ourselves in a Casita instead. To date, we have yet to step inside one, so at least for me, it's difficult to say this is exactly what I want. Tom, on the other hand, I think would like to order one today!

Thanks,
Brenda

#11 schatzie

schatzie
  • Casita Club Member
  • 225 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' SD

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

Brenda,

Take your time, don't rush, and look at as many different trailers as possible. Then tour a Casita. You will know what is right for you. Anticipation is half the fun of getting something new.

Bob
Bob & Ginny Schattschneider
South Milwaukee, WI.
2009 Casita 17' SD
2004 Ford F-150 FX4

#12 Rbt01

Rbt01
  • Casita Club Member
  • 10 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Photography, camping,music

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

Hi,
We have a 2013 SD and it is great. Now, a word about winter camping in a casita.
When it is very cold out ( 45 or colder at night) it is difficult to " camp" per se'.
We love our Casita but I do admit that when you spend more than. 2 or 3 hours together in it with the bed permanently made, quarters do get tight. Especially when ya have a 3 pound pup......haha.
When the weather is comfortable it is the nicest camping trailer ever.
As mr. Caradine once said " choose wisely grasshopper".

#13 JKM127

JKM127
  • Casita Club Member
  • 13 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 17' SD

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:05 PM

Would add one comment to all of the above, would encourage the gas furnace. When the power goes out, as it can in Maryland, you have a place that is dry and warm to retreat too and with conservation the battery can keep the furnace going for 2 to 3-days, if not longer depending on the outside temps.

Kirk & Tom
Gaithersburg, MD
2013 17' Casita SD
2005 Lexus RX330

#14 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 03:02 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:34 AM

You'll find that most Casitans live outside of the trailers, offering another good reason to purchase the awning (or some sort of tent shelter) since it provides an additional outside area for relaxing or cooking. When both of you are inside, you'll quickly learn the art of negotiating the space.

Casita no longer offers the built-in microwave as an option.

Filling the tanks is dependent upon on how frugal you are with water. Since I'm a solo, my usage is different than it would be as a couple, so I'll let them respond to that question for you. However, quick toilet flushing, military showers or use of campground facilities for all neccessities, reuse of dishwashing water, etc. can all save precious H20 when boondocking.

You might consider purchasing my A-Z Casita Owner's Guide. It will help you make important decisions regarding the options when the time comes to place your order.

Eileen
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#15 countrysunshyn

countrysunshyn
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:51 AM

Thanks, Kirk and Eileen! We appreciate your suggestions. We are learning so much from this forum. We will definitely be purchasing your Guide, Eileen, once we have committed to purchasing a Casita (and I think we are close!).
  • JKM127 likes this