#31 J and J

J and J
  • Casita Club Member
  • 77 posts
  • Local time: 12:54 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty Deluxe/17ft

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

A Full Hangar2.JPG
Mike, converting the king bed in our Liberty to living/dining area is so effortless and requires so little time that the 7 ft width is much more of a positive feature than not. An 8 ft trailer would require tow vehicle longer mirrors and would require us to find different storage. When not in use our Casita resides comfortably in a T-hangar along with the tow vehicle and our hobby airplane. This would be difficult with 8 feet of width.

#32 Rich

Rich
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17 liberty

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

Just an FYI, we are getting a new Liberty in May. While taking to Casita about the Liberty and the Independence, they MAY give the liberty the new options but leave the bed the same. We did not want the Independence due to the small isle room for ourselves. Casita will make their decision in a couple of weeks.

#33 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,321 posts
  • Local time: 10:54 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

WOW! I think the twin bed improvements will appeal to many. I guess most changes consist of pluses and minuses. With the bed design, pluses are increased width and having a sleeping area that is essentially one solid wide piece (except for the rear cushion), so it's a smooth surface without uncomfortable cording. It also offers a very simple conversion to the full king-bed size (one of the newer photos shows the built-in lip for the support). The minuses are living with the narrow aisle, access to under-seat storage, and sitting on those extra-deep cushions. I imagine additional cushions and back support mods will pop up early on, in fact, I'm beginning to get an idea on that.

I like the kitchen improvements. It looks like the entire backsplash area is part of the molded cabinet, without rivets. If that's so, its a big improvement! I also really like that the long upper cabinet has been split into two. The drawers in the lower cabinet seem good - there may be a small loss of storage space there but it's hard to tell without seeing it in person. The top surface area also looks easier to clean.

The bath improvements look very nice but it also looks crowded. The molded shelves would be handy but where would I put my mirror which needs to hang on a flat wall. Perhaps the addition of a hinged mirror, like a door, over the top shelf would work. For me, another bath improvement would be to move the light fixture to the closet wall, unless that's a safety issue.

At any rate, I think the Independence is a good addition to the Casita family.
  • highrez and NASA42 B like this
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#34 abshagenb@gmail.com

abshagenb@gmail.com
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts
  • Local time: 11:54 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:NA

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

YEA!----We just ordered the Independence Model Casita.----We are very excited to be the first to enjoy the Twin bed (30in) configuration , which can also be turned into a King or double for resale.---Also love the Bathroom changes!---More storage, and a counter for this "Old-Fart" to grab to get up off the Throne!---Lots of other stuff we liked with the Independence, which I have listed in the Introduction area under "New Owner from Durango, Colorado.
We will pick up the Casita the second week in April, hopefully in time for our first Rally in Bandara.---Maybe I can get some ideas on Mod's that I keep hearing about?

Bill
Durango, Colorado
  • Babs&Chris likes this

#35 yakof_pakof

yakof_pakof
  • Casita Club Member
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Electronique/Photography/Computing<br />Airplane/Canoe/Outdoor

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:12 AM

To produce a new model they need a new mold and we talking about big $$$ here, I wonder if the market can take it, Escape trailer may think it is since they gone add a 21 foot CT to their line-up. I look at the market lately and with the skyrocket price of gas and diesel many may try to find smaller tow truck and camping trailer. That ¾ ton truck with the big fifth wheel or the class A are less appealing now, check how fast they lose their value. Efficiency is what peoples look at now.

With the first half ton diesel pickup showing up on the market before the end of 2013, it’s now or never. With a pickup capable of doing almost 30mpg on highway and 24mpg in city (8 speed tranny) Chrysler got a winner, nothing come close and they gone sell like cup cake. All others may need to follow or lost their share of the market. By the way I don't work for Chrysler, I'm just one of those guys waiting in line to get one.

Things are about to change, people needs too, a small fifth wheel or a 20'+ low weight camping trailer is a perfect match for those new TV, Escape is ready, Scamp too with their little fifth wheel and even the aluminum Camp lite "true" 16' box fit the bill. What can we expect from Casita? A new interior look? Someone is missing the train here? Why changing my 17' SD for a new one and spend an extra $10,000 to get what I already have.... Give me a good reason to do it! Offer me a new product not just extra storage and a smaller bathroom sink!

Edited by yakof_pakof, 20 February 2013 - 08:13 AM.

• ArizonaEileen likes this
Cailloux & Josy
Québec Canada
2001 17' SD "The EGGxile"
05 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD
"Alway's lost in space"

#36 tincanpuller

tincanpuller
  • Casita Club Member
  • 38 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty Deluxe/17'

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:19 PM

It's okay, tincanpuller. Not to worry, you're going to love your Casita no matter what style it is. If you notice, we're all one big happy nestful of egg owners, I don't believe anyone looks down on someone else because he or she has a different model. And there are tons of modifications that folks have made-just ask, and you will find all sorts of hints, helpfuls and how tos.

You are right, it would have been nice had Casita mentioned that they're making a new model but: remember: never, ever buy a new model ANYTHING. They have to go several years of models before all the bugs are worked out. Your LD is a tried and true model. You will like it, I promise.

Yeah, I'm not all that upset about it and from the pics I've seen of the new one, the new Bathroom design with a new cabinet molded into the front wall that also acts as the sink base looks to make sitting on the toilet an adventure, to say the least.

We're finally getting a dry enough weekend to take our LD on it's first outing and will begin the process of getting to know one another intimately 8^)

#37 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 09:54 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:01 PM

We will pick up the Casita the second week in April, hopefully in time for our first Rally in Bandara.---Maybe I can get some ideas on Mod's that I keep hearing about?

Bill
Durango, Colorado

Bill --

I'll be at Bluebonnet and, like a hundred of the other folks who'll be there, would like to see your new Independence. I'd also like to take a few pictures, if you don't mind.

Eileen

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#38 Chickadee

Chickadee
  • Casita Club Member
  • 126 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe 17, WREN
  • Interests:Birding, hiking, exploring, reading. Snowbird...winter in the south.
  • Trailer Name:WREN

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:37 PM

It's good of Casita to try to change things up by working with the molds they have now. The Independence may meet some people's needs. Hopefully, the economy and sales improve so much that Casita can produce a longer trailer in the future. Perhaps they could take note of the mods we Casita owners make and the changes we'd like.

Personally, I love our 17' SD arrangement and would never give up our thick, memory foam Southern mattress. (I wouldn't give up sleeping with my hubby/bed-warmer either!) Also, bathroom modifications would never be on my wish list; it's not a place we spend a lot of time in, and we keep our 'personal items' to a minimum so we don't need more storage. I do like the higher faucets in the kitchen and the over-the-sink cupboard but wouldn't give up my pots, pans, and appliances shelves for a drawer.

The Independence WILL produce different and interesting mods by the new owners so that will be fun to see.

#39 fella10

fella10
  • Casita Club Member
  • 430 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:SD 17'

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:02 PM

the white stove top is not available any longer, our Liberty(due in about 6 weeks) will have the same new kitchen as the Independence, we saw those photos and were pleased with what we saw, but, before we ordered our salesman sent us new photos of the new kitchen design and it has a black stove-top, ---- confused, I called and he said the company doesn't make that white any longer, the white was sent to them for their first display of the Independence, but when they went back to the company to make their order for inventory was told it isn't and will probably never be available again, said they couldn't find white from any other company either--- we were very disappointed and considered NOT ordering , black just didn't look right after first seeing it as a white cooktop, but it sort of grows on you, after a few days of looking at it and realizing that IF we want this model Casita it is going to be black, we did order and are now very excited to be waiting for our new arrival..............

photo 1.jpg photo 3 (3).jpg

Edited by fella10, 15 April 2013 - 03:55 PM.

#40 KokomoJoe

KokomoJoe
  • Casita Club Member
  • 558 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:12 AM

I see several "issues" with the Independence! 1.Am really wondering WHY they put niches in the bathroom wall ???? Nasty dirt,scum,mold,mildew collectors! And you cannot fit a decent sized sueegee in there to clean! And talk about useless! You can put stuff up there...but when traveling you MUST take the stuff down...then wash! LOL If they're going to put something like that in...they should have at least put up some kind of netting to hold the stuff there while traveling !! What were they thinking? NEVER mind the loss of "hanging up" closet space! 2. That molded"sink" arrangement!YIKES !! How do you really sit comfortably on the terlet? If you weigh about 80 pounds and don't have a "wide body" you might be ok. MUCH less foot room either while seated or while standing for a shower. Lots less body room for showering! (I use my shower EVERY DAY). And where do you put your feet while STANDING at the sink while brushing your teeth? And the "cubby" below the sink? If that's a new place to store your TP why didn't they put the hinge on the left instead of on the bottom? As it is , when you open cubby to get TP ...more foot space lost and door to cubby in the way! I will post my thoughts and opinions about the rest of the design of the new Independence model in another post. We have a Spirit Deluxe...obviously we LOVE it...My only BIG hope is that as Casita builds more Casitas each year they DO NOT install this bathroom in ALL new models!!!! That would be terrible! IMHO... as is this entire post! I wonder if the engineers or powers that be ever contacted (directly) current Casita owners (before they designed) to get ideas of what works and what doesn't! What a resource we really are! Happy Trails! KokomoJoe

#41 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 09:54 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

It is my understanding that all new Casitas will soon have the 'battery cave door' bathroom cabinet.

Eileen

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#42 fella10

fella10
  • Casita Club Member
  • 430 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:SD 17'

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:09 PM

It is my understanding that all new Casitas will soon have the 'battery cave door' bathroom cabinet.

Eileen

Eileen, our salesman told us that the new bath design which is on the Liberty's and Independence's(which have a new kitchen design also) will be on all trailers that are started after April 1st., (not a new kitchen design for the Spirits and Freedoms yet, because right now, the only change for them is the new bath design)
  • ArizonaEileen and NASA42 B like this

#43 Bobinyelm

Bobinyelm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:22 PM

Nice looking C-120, BTW

#44 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,142 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:27 PM

One of the things I love about our SD is the amount of space in the bathroom. I am 6'3 and fit just fine. This new design appears to eliminate a lot of leg room. I do like the small counter near sink but the wall shelves are not very practical for traveling.

#45 dcsam

dcsam
  • Casita Club Member
  • 28 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Independence

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:26 PM

We took the plunge and put a deposit down on a fully-loaded Independence. After much thought, we decided this one fits our needs to a 't'. I've got the impression by reading all the various postings that there is no such thing as a bad Casita floor plan. But people certainly do feel a certain bias towards the one they do have. For US, the Independence is the best choice. After viewing a Liberty Deluxe, the Independence offers more of what we are looking for. Don't get me wrong, the Liberty would have worked too. But the Independence suits our needs a tad better. Now we just have to decide whether to pick it up in Wyoming for $880 or have it delivered all the way to Washington for 2K. Right now, I'm leaning towards a home delivery. We're just so new to this, that I'd hate to be fumbling around, trying to figure things out if it was delivered to Wyoming. If we had it brought to our home, then we can fumble to our hearts content knowing we can get needed items without being in a panic mode.
  • highrez likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 17 Independence Deluxe, New Casita Travel Trailer