104 replies to this topic

#16 Larvell

Larvell
  • Casita Club Member
  • 49 posts
  • Local time: 06:59 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' 2012 Spirit Deluxe

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

It looks like it needs some more back cushions but, I'm not sure where they could be stowed when sleeping. That being said, I think the Independence will eventually be the top seller. Getting rid of the flimsy sink in the bathroom is a home-run. I can envision rolling out two sleeping bags, tossing a couple of pillows, taking down the tables and getting some sleep. Quick and simple. I think my first modification would be making a more narrow table top for the back table and not even bother taking that one down when it's time for bed. Yep, this floor plan is a winner. This is an indication that Casita is on the ball and looking for new ways to enrich the Casita experience. Keep up the good work and maybe put a larger version with a double axel on the drawing board. Yeah, I know it would be an expensive undertaking to make new molds for a larger version but, I think the market is out there. I know that I would be one of the first to order a larger version. I am thinking of maybe 19 or 20 feet long.

Edited by Larvell, 13 February 2013 - 12:28 AM.

• highrez, Tampa Rick and Holly&Fred like this

#17 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer
  • Admin
  • 4,031 posts
  • Local time: 05:59 AM
  • Casita Club Directory #:1000

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:39 AM

I just uploaded more pictures sent to me by the Casita Folks!

Eric B)

The Casita Club

----------

Here is a video tutorial on how to upload images to your post:
How To Attach an Image to Your Post

#18 Steve LaBroad

Steve LaBroad

Grand Pooh-bah

• Casita Club Member
  • 645 posts
  • Local time: 07:59 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita 16 SD
  • Interests:Camping, sailing, woodworking, astronomy.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1262

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:52 AM

Bathroom: (Guys only) I find the lack of a toe-kick under the toilet a little awkward as it forces you to stand some distance away and perhaps lean over the bowl when taking care of business. No change there.

Similarly, removing the under sink space may make using the sink a little more awkward since you're forced to stand farther away, but it's certainly more robust and having undersink storage is definitely handy. The new sink does look like a bit of a knee-knocker when sitting down.

Kitchen sink: More storage is always good. Looks like a shallow storage area in front of the sink area and the spice rack type storage is nice also for those who cook in their trailers like I do.

Sleeping: The tradeoff for wider twin bunks is the narrower foot well. Time will tell but it looks too tight to me. Sliding in across from someone already sitting down may make for a tangle of legs.

Not a bad effort and a good option to consider.

Edited by Steve LaBroad, 13 February 2013 - 06:55 AM.

Steve LaBroad (CC#1262)
2003 16' Spirit Deluxe, "Castle Pretentious"
2018 Ford Flex AWD w/Ecoboost

#19 Kurt M

Kurt M
  • Casita Club Member
  • 106 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 SD 17
  • Interests:Astronomy, birding, photography, canoe/kayak, fly fishing, etc., etc.

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:30 AM

Somehow it looks like there is a loss of space.

Same amount of space, just arranged differently. :ph34r: Some folks is gonna love it, some ain't, so goes the world. As for me, the only thing I cared about was finding one I could afford .... and wanted to afford, it never mattered what model it was as long as it was at least a 16'er.
Posted Image

#20 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,301 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:01 AM

I like the new galley layout. Less so the bathroom; seems standing space is reduced. Although, no more leaning on and breaking the little sink (been there, done that). The cushion design makes me wonder if I'm having a vertigo attack :wacko: .

Me too, I'd like to see Casita build a twin axle, 22ft trailer, perhaps one foot wider (dreaming :closedeyes: ).

Dutchman

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#21 Bobinyelm

Bobinyelm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:10 AM

It was commented upon that some people prefer to sleep alone, though obviously no partner in a Casita can be very alone. What this design does do is allow each person to arise without disturbing the other, or climbing over him/her. I don't know if the inner edges have grooves as the SD does, which allows placing a piece of plywood across as a "bridge", forming a single large flat space for a huge sleeping platform, but having them would in no way limit the utility, but inly increase it.

I like the recesses in the shower wall, though they would be far more useful if they had restraint bars across the lower portions of them to restrain bathroom items (shampoo, deodorant, tooth paste from falling) both while in motion, and even while stationary. Perhaps lengths of 1/4" Plexiglas allow seeing the items while restraining them at the same time.

I have to agree with Ed on the 22ft/foot-wider version. I think there's a real market out there for it, since I'd guess at least half of the TVs most of us use would easily handle the increased TV rating that would be required. I'd guess a 22ft trailer would gross at least 1500 pounds more, or around 5000/6000 pounds. Most 1/2 ton pick-ups are good up to 7000 pounds or so, I believe. By using the same interior components, and keeping the present width, the only extra required assemblies would be the exterior fiberglass coach ones, and the frames, of course. Perhaps the current axles could even be used in pairs, though I've not seen a trailer use tandem torque-flex units, though that's perhaps because leaf suspension and straight axles become far more economical for tandems.

Lots of possibilities. It would disturb the usual production line to feed "odd" units through it, but if every so often, a "run" of the bigger ones were put through (based on estimated demand) the disturbance would be less. I know a fear of expanding production is a recession where demand would fall, and make a larger facility idle, would dissuade most companies from building a larger facility for a new product, given an unknown demand. I am sure just designing and building molds for the larger unit would be expensive enough to prevent its consideration, however. If the trailer were not wider, perhaps it wouldn't attract enough customers, however, and if they were to go wider, they would be competing with trailers that now mostly have slide-outs. May RVers don't "get" the plainer Casitas last so much longer than stick-builts and retain their value very well, so may see them as too retro.

Edited by Bobinyelm, 13 February 2013 - 08:30 AM.

#22 J and J

J and J
  • Casita Club Member
  • 77 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty Deluxe/17ft

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:23 AM

- Sitting area in the Liberty - am I wrong about this? I don't have the Liberty. But can't you leave the bed made up and still have a sitting area?

Dex, you asked about leaving the bed made up and still having sitting area in the LD. Yes you can if you want a queen size bed and sleep transversally. If you as we do want a King bed and sleep length wise so as not to crawl over each other while getting out of bed then taking up at least part of the king bed to install a table and sit 2 is necessary. Converting an LD king size bedroom into a full dining/living room area and vice versa takes us about 5 minutes which to us is well worth the price to pay of having the best of both a long king bed for tall folks and a dining/living area.

Having said all that, when we are camping alone apart from rallies we leave the bed made up and eat and live outside which our travel trailer is mostly about anyway.

#23 Us burros

Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,468 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit 17'
  • Interests:Woodworking, photography, birding & travel
  • Casita Club Directory #:1830

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

The more pictures I see, the more pleased I am with what we have. It seems a lot of floor space has been traded for other purposes, some of which have exchanged one convenience for another inconvenience. Wider single beds are nice, but based on posted information, approximately 6 square feet of floor space is now under the benches. We thought there wasn't enough foot room under the side dinette in the Spirit, it's going to take some "boot scootin' booginiein'" to get seated for a meal in the Independence. And who needs a shelf beside the bath sink when it means there's hardly room to pull up you drawers?
I believe the independence has taken away some freedom.

Edited by Us burros, 13 February 2013 - 09:38 AM.

• ArizonaEileen and Tampa Rick like this

#24 Don in OKC

Don in OKC
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

I don't have the Liberty. But can't you leave the bed made up and still have a sitting area?

Yes........on a 17 the 'main' bed is 54" wide and the dinette about 26" wide.

Folks who have done a Liberty conversion to twin beds realize that as the twin beds (benches) are widened, it makes difficult seating as the back rest is then too far away for sitting comfort. We would use extra blankets or pillows or something as bolsters. In the photo, it looks like the new floor plan has a narrower aisle, wider seat cushions, but nothing shown to act as a backrest when seated. A 4 or 5 inch thick cushion isn't enough. I'm curious to see how the Casita factory handles this.

Edited by Don in OKC, 13 February 2013 - 11:18 AM.

Don in OKC - (Useta have a) 2000 16' LD, 98 Chrysler T&C

#25 Dex

Dex
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

Somehow it looks like there is a loss of space.

Same amount of space, just arranged differently. :ph34r: Some folks is gonna love it, some ain't, so goes the world. As for me, the only thing I cared about was finding one I could afford .... and wanted to afford, it never mattered what model it was as long as it was at least a 16'er.

I definitely see the benefit in the bed area. If, there are two people - the one in the back doesn't have to climb over the other. Also, it looks as if the beds are longer - so those in the 6+' tall area would like it.

I could also see people making a lot of mods to the the sleeping area:
If traveling alone - shelves could be made for the other bed area.
If you need more sleeping area - make bunk beds for sleeping area - 4 people total?
2006 17' Spirit owner since July 18, 2006
Tow Vehicle - 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4X4-Sport V-6 3.9L, Automatic Sports Plus Package, 31X10.5 tires, Limited Slip Differential, 4.10 gear ratio, Trailer Tow Group pkg(transmission & oil cooler, class IV hitch, wiring), Heavy Duty package (automatic Overdrive, battery upgrade, front & rear anti sway bars) Package

#26 Dex

Dex
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

To the Casita Factory folks - don't think I don't like the new layout - It looks good.
2006 17' Spirit owner since July 18, 2006
Tow Vehicle - 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4X4-Sport V-6 3.9L, Automatic Sports Plus Package, 31X10.5 tires, Limited Slip Differential, 4.10 gear ratio, Trailer Tow Group pkg(transmission & oil cooler, class IV hitch, wiring), Heavy Duty package (automatic Overdrive, battery upgrade, front & rear anti sway bars) Package

#27 Ed Harris

Ed Harris
  • Casita Club Member
  • 343 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

I am with Harold on this one.

I see superficial reorganizing of a few minor areas adding up to a net reduction i usable space to move around?

The bed area and Kitchen don't seem like too big a deal to me but the new little "Cubbie Holes" just protrude into the space to add an enclosed new space. The sink top storage really eats up space to me and makes it seem more into the center of the trailer to me,not less. I think a little Window there would be a huge improvement and make the Kitchen area seem bigger again.

I like the wrap around seating in the rear if that is what it is? But what is under there I wonder? I would like to see a nightstand of some sort back there as this is clearly designed as an improved Bedroom.

The bathroom sink enclosure just really is not anything I would want at all. I already think it is cramped in there and I "Need"the Knee too when sitting or standing so that pedestal is in the way from the look of it.
Also the little shelves are a good idea but there is nothing to contain items there as Bob said and those will be tougher to get and keep clean in a shower too.

The Bathroom storage seems handy of course but not at the expense of the room lost to me.

The amazing thing about a Casita is how much space there seems inside despite the lilliputian(Steve this one was for you) interior dimensions so reducing them even a little is more than I want.

Anyway I would suspect we can see the Bathroom being done this way now on the other 17' models as it just gets installed into the same space it looks like as the trailer is being assembled?

I like the SD/FD models at this point but I am curious what is on the horizon for them.

Edited by Ed Harris, 13 February 2013 - 02:57 PM.

2002 Casita 17FD
1982 FiberStream 16'
Down to 2 for now!
KC0UKR-Easy Dog

I can stop anytime....Really!

#28 Dave and Ruth

Dave and Ruth
  • Casita Club Member
  • 454 posts
  • Interests: 
  • Casita Club Directory #:2369

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

I don't have the Liberty. But can't you leave the bed made up and still have a sitting area?

Yes........on a 17 the 'main' bed is 54" wide and the dinette about 26" wide.

Folks who have done a Liberty conversion to twin beds realize that as the twin beds (benches) are widened, it makes difficult seating as the back rest is then too far away for sitting comfort. We would use extra blankets or pillows or something as bolsters. In the photo, it looks like the new floor plan has a narrower aisle, wider seat cushions, but nothing shown to act as a backrest when seated. A 4 or 5 inch thick cushion isn't enough. I'm curious to see how the Casita factory handles this.

We store our bedrolls in a bolster cover (that matched our cushion/mattress cover) and that becomes great back support. We also have 4 throw pillows which are both functional and decorative.

Ruth
Dave & Ruth
Santa Fe, New Mexico

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
2007 LD "El Gecko" * 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
High Tech Twin Bed Mod * Rooftop Solar install with VHB tape
Sliding sink cover for the Liberty * Custom Casita Cover

#29 borderbrae

borderbrae
  • Casita Club Member (c)
  • 1,013 posts
  • Local time: 08:59 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 17' SD
  • Interests:Travel, photography

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

I'm with Harold and Ed on this. I love my older SD! Would be a shame if all future models lose the space in the bathroom and closet that this model takes up. I'd guess you are losing at least 4" in the closet, maybe more with those shelves projecting into it. That sink cabinet looks like it takes up valuable real estate in the bathroom and has such a small door to access the space. you open the door and put stuff down into it then have wasted space above. I can envision some guys doing mods to that, making the door bigger, adding shelves maybe? The door opens down, I hope it seals tight or water may get in there.

I'm sure some folks will be very pleased with the new model, having the wider beds with out having to do a mod to get them will suit some but the loss of floor space wouldn't suit me. Lots of storage under the beds.... well, lets, see, on the street side you have the converter, hwh and battery, on the other side is the fresh water tank so yes, you may gain some storage but you'll have to pack carefully and getting to the stuff means lifting the cushions.

Oh well, some will jump at the new model, others will sit back and see what happens. I'll continue to enjoy my older SD with all the floor and closet space it has.

Would be nice if Casita added the Hepvo valve under the shower at least, one under the sink would add space there.

It is nice that Casita is trying out ideas on a new model and open to feedback.
Jean
2000 SD 17'
2011 Silverado w/Prodigy BC
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much (and take lots of photos along the way)
www.jeanclarkphotography.com
www.borderbrae.wordpress.com

#30 Swisstrip02

Swisstrip02
  • Casita Club Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

If I had my way, i would widen our liberty by 1 foot. That would give a us a full-length king width and full-queen width, while still having full space seating for meals. The wider trailer width should increase the weight very little, compared to two feet longer length.

The extra width would allow greater depth of all storage drawers and overhead bins. Also, the shower footwell and/or the width of the closet would be greater.

Mike
  • SKYTALKER and Holly&Fred like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 17 Independence Deluxe, New Casita Travel Trailer