• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Flyfisher

Flyfisher
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts
  • Local time: 05:14 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:TBD
  • Interests:Avid flyfisherman and guide in Colo and Wyo. Run the roads and trails and like to hike and ski....mostly Nordic these days. Like to dance both swing and ballroom..most active with East Coast Swing.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

Hello,
My name is Bob and I am a new member from Colorado. [ who also spends some time in Naperville, Ill ]
I have a deposit on a new 17' Spirit Deluxe and am on the verge of releasing the order for delivery.....I am excited and have been interested in the Casita for over two years.
The reason that I haven't released the order sooner is that I thought that I might buy a used Casita.
My question is whether the older Casitas have any problems with any of the equipment as it ages....ie: the mechanical systems? I have been totally impressed at how well the older units maintain their value and how close the prices are to a new unit ....thus why buy a used unit. However wouldalso be nice to save a bit of money and it appears that a many of the used units haven't been abused and in many cases kept in covered storage.
I am wondering what members might have experienced with used Casitas?
Would sure appreciate some "words of wisdom"

Thanks, Bob

#2 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer
  • Admin
  • 4,025 posts
  • Local time: 03:14 AM
  • Casita Club Directory #:1000

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

Welcome to The Casita Club!

Eric B)

The Casita Club

----------

Here is a video tutorial on how to upload images to your post:
How To Attach an Image to Your Post

#3 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,434 posts
  • Local time: 04:14 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:43 AM

Yes, Casitas do hold their value in large part because they don't fall apart like the stick built campers. Year to year there are not many changes. Toughest thing in finding and purchasing a used Casita is getting to it quick enough and the pulling the trigger to purchase, they don't last long on the market. Most anything broken can be fixed with relative ease. We have a 2003 SD and for the most part it looks new, we have had no major repairs. We use it a LOT year round in all kinds of conditions, 110 degrees in Texas to skiing in New Mexico.

Good luck, you probably won't go wrong buying new or used.

Clover

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#4 Bob and Kathy

Bob and Kathy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 11 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2006 SD
  • Interests:Gardening, Camping, Baking, Reading, Sewing

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

Hi Bob,
My husband and I purchased our 2007 17' SD used. It was taken care of v.well. When not
in use, it was stored in a large garage. At home, I don't have that luxury since I live in a
residential neighborhood. However, it has been stored for the winters in a large barn. I
also have a Calmark cover that has been used to protect it.
http://www.calmarkcovers.com/
I agree with Clover and believe most owners take care of their trailers and address issues
quickly if they arrise.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Kathy

#5 Dex

Dex
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

I think others have answered your question about the systems.

If you plan on keeping the Casita for a long term you might want to consider having a new one the way you want it versus an older one which might not be everything you want.

Also, don't you pay a cancelation fee on a new one.
2006 17' Spirit owner since July 18, 2006
Tow Vehicle - 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4X4-Sport V-6 3.9L, Automatic Sports Plus Package, 31X10.5 tires, Limited Slip Differential, 4.10 gear ratio, Trailer Tow Group pkg(transmission & oil cooler, class IV hitch, wiring), Heavy Duty package (automatic Overdrive, battery upgrade, front & rear anti sway bars) Package

#6 Tom&Joyce

Tom&Joyce
  • Casita Club Member
  • 389 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:SD/17
  • Interests:Travel (prefer natural areas over man made), bike riding, eating, walking and hiking.
  • Casita Club Directory #:2458

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

Bob,
We got interested in a Casita about 8 years before we retired. Even with 4 weeks of vacation a year we couldn’t justify buying a new Casita while we were still working. I watched for a good used one for almost 8 years. The closest I came was when one in the KC area came on the market. I called and ask if it would be OK if my son who lived in the area took a look at it. Before I could get in touch with my son (less than an hour) it sold for cash. I did not understand that used Casitas often sell sight unseen.

As we approached retirement we gave up on the idea of buying used and ordered a new one.

To buy used you have to be in the right place at the right time and be ready to buy when one becomes available.
Used or new you won’t go wrong. Welcome to the Casita Club.

Tom
Tom & Joyce
2006 17 SD ""Our Roadhouse""
2014 Ram Tradesman

#7 Baberuth

Baberuth
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts
  • Local time: 06:14 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:LD 17
  • Interests:Seeing the USA wearing a smile

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

My husband and I just put a deposit on the Liberty Deluxe. You may be interested to know that this model can be modified to include the older Liberty bed/bunk arrangement and the newer drawer-under-sink and new bath configuration. It may be possible for the updates to apply to the Sprit as well. This model will be available in April.

We need a larger bed than a double, and the Liberty provides that. Of course,that may not be an issue for you, but I thought I'd mention the drawer and bath updates since they seem to be improvements to the 2012 models.

#8 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 02:14 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:31 AM

Flyfisher and Baberuth --

CONGRATS to you both on your decision to join the Casita community. You'll never have any regrets.

With the 'upgrades,' they're calling the new model the Independence. If you search this forum, you'll find the discussion and a few photos.

To put you on the 'fast learning track,' you might be interested in purchasing my A-Z Casita Owner's Guide. Everything you need to know about owning and operating a Casita in 255 pages. It includes far more information than you'll get from the factory pamplets.

Eileen
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#9 Flyfisher

Flyfisher
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Avid flyfisherman and guide in Colo and Wyo. Run the roads and trails and like to hike and ski....mostly Nordic these days. Like to dance both swing and ballroom..most active with East Coast Swing.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:25 PM

Flyfisher Bob here.......thank all of you who have responded to my questions. It reinforces my decision to purchase a Casita whether new or used. I am continually amazed at the Casita community and the friendliness that is so evident.

#10 Flyfisher

Flyfisher
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

Flyfisher Bob here .....I wanted to add.

To Dex. Thank you talking about a new Casita....and yes, they will keep $500 of your deposit if you cancel your order. My theory is if the right used unit was available I would forgo the $500 .....although "ouch! "

To Eileen. I did order and receive your CD and thank you for mentioning it. I will be watching it soon as delivery time gets closer.
  • ArizonaEileen likes this

#11 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,230 posts
  • Local time: 04:14 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17' SD
  • Interests:Family, home, traveling w/fiberglass trailer, computers, chess, short track stock car racing, bowling.

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:08 AM

With the exception of the frame and fiberglass, Casita is primarily an assembler (granted an excellent one) of industry standard components. For instance, the water heater can be found on trailers and motorhomes costing many hundreds and even thousands of dollars more than a Casita. The same can be said for the other major components - heater, air conditioner, refrigerator, toilet, stove.

So a Casita starts off life equal in many ways but a bit better than others mainly because of its basic design, the molded fiberglass body, and craftsmanship of the assemblers. The condition of a used unit will largely be dependent upon the level of maintenance and repair provided by the previous owner. But, if the trailer is basically sound, fiberglass OK, floor feels solid, frame is not damaged, then anything else can be fixed with an off the shelf part.

New or used? Sometimes the choice is limited by availability (or non-availability) of a used one. Some just enjoy the personal satisfaction of bringing an older thing back to useful working condition at a reasonable cost. Then again there is just something nice about being the first person to sleep in that bed or use that toilet.

A lot of owners have opted to buy used and others to buy new but the one constant is the good times available for all - come on, jump in - buy something and go have some fun :danc:
  • cmac likes this
Don & Sherian, 2017 GMC Canyon, SLT, crew cab, short bed, 3.6 V6, 8 speed auto trans
factory brake controller and anti-sway control. Made in USA. Custom Casita graphics.
07 Casita 17' SD w/HLA (Egg Motel, room for 2 - to go), also made in USA
Photos of our mods and other stuff: http://tinyurl.com/2dz93g

#12 DART

DART
  • Casita Club Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

Flyfisher, Please contact me @ laser-dart@sbcglobal.net. I think I have some answers for your Casita problem (new-used) Thanks.V.L.

#13 Flyfisher

Flyfisher
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

Hello Don and Sherian,

Thank you for your thoughts and sharing the wealth of information that you have experienced. I had looked at your website before and revisited it again this evening and all I can say is "Oh my". I come from a life long backround of construction and also a retired father ( now 90 ) who still fixes items better than new so I can understand your labors and improvements.

Your generosity in sharing is amazing.
Bob

#14 PH2

PH2
  • Casita Club Member
  • 28 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2006 Casita SD 17'
  • Interests:boondocking, kayaking, biking, hiking, photography, diving

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:18 AM

Welcome Bob, To add my two cents to the discussion, it's great to take possession of something new but that comes with a cost of time (for the order to be fulfilled) and money. Casita owners, I have found, tend to be tinkerers. If you get a used unit, you also end up with all the additions thrown in with the sale. We purchased our 2006 17' SD used a year ago at a substantial savings over new and in addition got a Honda 2000i generator, weight distribution hitch, trailer protective cover, additional high rear brake LED lights for visibility, built in battery tester, additional shelves, racks, fans, etc. Many of these improvements are things I would have eventually done myself and others are bonuses that I'm glad are now our own. The wear and tear of a used unit is more than made up by the extras. We are thrilled with what we purchased and have been inspired to add our own improvements, including LED white and color shifting lighting, solar panel, entertainment, improved grey/black venting, external shower, trailer hitch for a bike rack, etc. You have to be prepared to jump on a good deal because I've seldom seen one last more than a few hours. You also have to be willing to travel to pick it up. We drove from the Pacific northwest to the midwest to collect ours, met some amazing people and had a nice vacation/shakedown trip.
  • ArizonaEileen likes this

#15 Flyfisher

Flyfisher
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

Thanks for your above thoughts. I continue to watch for a used unit for all the reasons you mentioned. It is so evident reading the forums that Casita folks by and large really like and enjoy their time spent both using and improving their units.

Bob