4 replies to this topic

#1 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,617 posts
  • Local time: 09:38 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:41 AM

I will be spending a week in the end of July in the Lake George, Colorado area. My son is attending his first resident Boy Scout Camp, Camp Alexander for a week. I will be dropping his off with the rest of his Troop and then looking to camp somewhere fairly close for the week. I have identified 3 state parks in the area. Eleven Mile, Spinney Mountain and Mueller. I am leaning towards Eleven Mile. Are there any other NF Campgrounds I should consider in the area? I rarely consider private campgrounds but would have an open mind to any that might be worth a look. I don't require hookups, I am accustom to camping off grid and have a generator if needed.

On the "must see" we have already recently been to Pikes Peak, Great Sand Dunes and Rocky Mountain National Park. So not ready for another visit to those places as of yet.

At the end of his Scout Camp stay we will be headed to Wisconsin for AirVenture, before we return to Texas.

Any suggestions or first hand experience visiting the area would be appreciated.

Clover

I forgot to add I will probably visit Florrisant Fossil Beds National Monument since it is so close by.

Edited by clover, 26 January 2013 - 06:45 AM.

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#2 Derrick George

Derrick George
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts
  • Local time: 07:38 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:SD/17

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:13 AM

About 5 mos. early for Airventure?

#3 edkansas

edkansas
  • Casita Club Member
  • 112 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:FD 17'

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

There are several Forest Service campgrounds in Eleven Mile Canyon near the scout camp, a couple at least nearby outside the canyon. I worked in Lake George as the Assistant District Ranger with the FS many years ago. Fairplay is not too far away to visit and there is a visitor center west of Lake George as you go into South Park. If you go north of Lake George there are a couple trails that go into a scenic area, also there were a couple campgrounds up that way.

Edited by edkansas, 26 January 2013 - 10:45 AM.

2002 FD 17' "Snugly"
1997 Silverado V8

#4 vermilye

vermilye
  • Casita Club Member
  • 442 posts
  • Local time: 10:38 PM
  • Interests:Photography, travel

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

While it may be too far out of your way, a great one day hike is to Hanging Lake near Glenwood Springs,
  • clover likes this

#5 clover

clover
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,617 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

Derrick

AirVenture starts July 29th, we usually get there a couple of days before it starts because there is a lot of activity and some "behind the scenes" things to watch. We will be in the Lake George/Eleven Mile Canyon area of Colorado that week before AirVenture. I think I can count on going to Oshkosh every year until my son is old enough to move out on his own. 10,000 camping spots 40,000 campers is what they quote. Obviously we don't go for the camping from the traditional sense of camping. However if you are an aviation NUT like my son it is heaven. We are on the go from sunup until well into the evening with all of the activities and things to see. Camping on the grounds is by far the best way to see and experience all that AirVenture has to offer.

Edkansas & Vermilye

Thank you for the sight seeing suggestions. I talked to one of the permanent residents of BSA Camp Alexander. She suggested NFS campground Spillway, River Side and Blue Mountain. She said the Blue Mountain Hike was one she always takes visiting friends to.

Clover

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)