10 replies to this topic

#1 Big Gord

Big Gord
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 12:44 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Shopping

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:27 PM

We are interested in a Casita Liberty 17 but cannot find the dimensions of the settee/twin bed anywhere. Can somebody advise the length and width with back cushions removed?

Also, it appears that the twin bed setups we have seen in photos are wider than the molded settee. In fact, one owner stated they were 30" wide which, we are sure, is wider than the molded settee, We would appreciate suggestions on how to modify the settees for 30" wide beds but leaving the single seat usable for dining.

Without having seen a Liberty as yet, what we envision is an extension along the edge of each settee, with fold down sections on the single seat areas adjacent to the galley, using the original cushions, with the folding extension sections down, for dining, exchanging that for the "upper" sections of custom 2 piece memory foam mattresses, with the folding extension sections up, for sleeping or lounging .

Any and all input will be welcome.

Thanks

GeeJay & ElleJay

#2 Jim E

Jim E
  • Casita Club Member
  • 20 posts
  • Local time: 04:44 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty Delux 17 2002
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:48 AM

"We are interested in a Casita Liberty 17 but cannot find the dimensions of the settee/twin bed anywhere. Can somebody advise the length and width with back cushions removed?"

We have a 2002 LD. There are 2 bottom cushions on each side. The long one is 23 X 54 inches and the short one is 23 X 27 inches.

" We would appreciate suggestions on how to modify the settees for 30" wide beds but leaving the single seat usable for dining. "

Here is what we do.
Bed: Lower the large table to the sleeping position and place the long back cushions on the lowered table. Stow the two smaller boards/table elsewhere. We sleep with our heads toward the rear of the trailer and this makes that area supporting the torso and arms wide and the area supporting the legs narrow.

Table for dinning: At first, leaving the above arrangement in place, we used the small table supported by the metal column as it came, but we found it a little difficult to get in and out of the seat and bed. I moved the bracket underneath the table toward one end of the table and built a simple "T" shaped support (initially used a cardboard box) for the end that extends over the bed, when the small table is in place. The dining table can be left in place or easily moved for sleeping.

Hope this is clear. If you like I could post some pictures of the set up.
  • Big Gord likes this
Jim E

#3 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,249 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

I believe the fiberglass benches are 24" wide & the cushions are about 23" wide. The extra fiberglass "inch" (probably less than an inch) is a small ledge for the double/king bed support across the aisle. With the curve at the rear and the fuzzy carpet on the walls, measurements vary a bit but the length of the bench is 81" to 83".

Here is a link to our twin bed arrangement. It can easily be adapted and may help you visualize an arrangement that will suit you.
  • arlenevincefl and polly like this
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#4 canyonsmitty

canyonsmitty
  • Casita Club Member
  • 5 posts
  • Local time: 03:44 PM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

The twin bed arrangement shown above works well. In a previous Casita I widened the bunks by 4" using a shelf system made of 1x4s. I used nominal 1/8" plywood (door skins) cut to the wall profile to tie the shelf support back to the bunks and provide a uniform 28" wide sleeping surface. The shelves did not extend the full length of the bunks. This allowed some knee room for placing the small table at the forward end without disturbing the sleeping area. Feet don't need as much width as shoulders. The in-fill table at the rear was designed with a drop mechanism that permitted it to swing up vertically against the rear wall or swing down into the lower position to act as a "night stand" and elbow rest area. In the up, table position it provides additional space for 4 diners. This table was 42"-48" long; don't remember exactly. The shelves provided an abundance of canned goods storage and space to tuck other "stuff".

I am planning on getting another Casita after a brief sojourn in a bigger camper. This time I will widen the bunks using 2x6s to gain the extra 2" in each bunk. Otherwise the system worked great.

#5 canyonsmitty

canyonsmitty
  • Casita Club Member
  • 5 posts
  • Local time: 03:44 PM

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

Just purchased a used 17' that already had been modified. The previous owner added 6" to each bunk with 1x6s supported by shelf brackets. Use the kind with steel scrollwork bracing or similar. They modified foam mattresses to fit. Works well.

#6 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer
  • Admin
  • 4,025 posts
  • Local time: 01:44 PM
  • Casita Club Directory #:1000

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

Did you see the announcement of the new "Independence" model? Check the main Casita Club Forum for more information!

Eric B)

The Casita Club

----------

Here is a video tutorial on how to upload images to your post:
How To Attach an Image to Your Post

#7 Va Hillbilly

Va Hillbilly
  • Casita Club Member
  • 48 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2012 - 17 LD
  • Interests:Photography, Hiking, 18th Century Furniture Reproduction, Guitar Luthiery

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

This is the way we converted to twin beds. I included a two drawer night stand and a full width back shelf with the bed mod. There are small storage compartments at the head of each bed. It also includes a storage compartment underneath the night stand. I also made a small table that attaches to the night stand top and is supported by one of the the pedestals. The table can be left up all the time or easily stored in front of the bottom storage compartment. In this position it is out of the way and acts to restrain anything stored in the compartment underneath the night stand when in transit. The overall width of the beds is about 30" which allows easy access between the beds.

Attached Thumbnails

• Casita Interior R.jpg
  • Casita Interior2 R.jpg
  • Casita Bed R.jpg
  • Casita Bed2 R.jpg

• JnJ and MorganA like this

#8 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:36 AM

As Eric mentioned in the above post, Casita will be introducing the "Independence," a new two single beds model. They've promised to have the layout and photos on their website next week. My guess is that it will be based on the Liberty.

Eileen
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#9 LibertyD

LibertyD
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2006 Liberty Deluxe
  • Interests:Formerly here as Patt
  • Casita Club Directory #:1832

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:29 PM

I happened to still have the dimensions of the twin bed conversion in my files and am going to try to attach them here for you. We love the layout and have Don Cyr's original beds; mdf, memory foam mattresses and all. The only change we made was to do away with the table combination and use our own hanging shelf for that.

Pat P.
2006 Liberty Deluxe
Iliad, towed by our Odyssey

Attached Thumbnails

• CasitaBed1.jpg
  • CasitaBed2.jpg
  • CasitaBed3.jpg
  • CasitaWithBurritoBags1.JPG

• Zengranny likes this
Liberty D. aka Patt

Love my "Uppity Mobile" Casita!

#10 b-hannasch

b-hannasch
  • Casita Club Member
  • 16 posts
  • Local time: 02:44 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' LD
  • Interests:Fishing all kinds,love trout and saltwater more! Camping and exploring mainly seeing anything new....

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:16 AM

This is the way we converted to twin beds. I included a two drawer night stand and a full width back shelf with the bed mod. There are small storage compartments at the head of each bed. It also includes a storage compartment underneath the night stand. I also made a small table that attaches to the night stand top and is supported by one of the the pedestals. The table can be left up all the time or easily stored in front of the bottom storage compartment. In this position it is out of the way and acts to restrain anything stored in the compartment underneath the night stand when in transit. The overall width of the beds is about 30" which allows easy access between the beds.

I think this is what I am looking for as what I want to do with my camper. I am not good with my computer I have issues and so does this laptop!!! Could you email me brenda.hannasch@att.net or call me 281-296-9766 I live in Spring,Texas Thanks

#11 Spirit Hawk

Spirit Hawk
  • Casita Club Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

Pat P
That looks like a great bed mod,,i like it..Ron