3 replies to this topic

#1 avis&lare

avis&lare
  • Casita Club Member
  • 11 posts
  • Local time: 08:29 PM

Posted 17 September 2004 - 05:48 PM

[SIZE=14]
We are relative newbies and are planning a trip to the Vancouver/Victoria area lasting about 5 days. We live in Washington state and have never crossed the Border with a trailer before. Are they more likely to inspect a trailer than a car? Should we not carry food at all? What else should we be careful about?

Do you know of any good campgrounds with hook-ups we could use as a"home base" when we go exploring?

What are good places to visit on cool rainy days? Cool places to shop, especially for bargains? Area hikes?

Thanks!
Avis
Edgewood, WA
-------------------
Avis & lare
2004 Spirit Deluxe 16' (The Moomin)
1995 Toyota Pickup (Moomin-mobile)
Edgewood, Washington

#2 kmfosterk

kmfosterk
  • Casita Club Member
  • 627 posts
  • Local time: 09:29 PM
  • Casita Club Directory #:1408

Posted 17 September 2004 - 06:37 PM

I recently took a trip to Calgary and Waterton National Park areas from Montana. When crossing the border into Canada I gave them my passport and they asked a few questions then they passed me through. I did see some trucks and RV's have to pull through and then to the side so I don't know what determines which ones they let through and which ones they inspect. They never asked any questions about food products.

My trip back into the U.S. was about the same.
Kent - #1408
X 17' Casita LD owner

#3 Roland Williams

Roland Williams
  • Casita Club Member
  • 291 posts
  • Local time: 08:29 PM
  • Casita Club Directory #:1015

Posted 22 September 2004 - 01:05 PM

The ideal RV park on Vancouver Island is the West Bay Marina. Beautiful view and a 30 minute walk to downtown, if you are so inclined. Further out, and less expensive, is Fort Victoria, also nice. If you go to the west coast, there are many ocean front spots to choose from. I mean wheels-in-the-water, near Tofino, also a beautiful area.

On a wet rainy day, there is the BC Museum of Natural History, good for a whole day. Also the Butterfly Gardens, near Buchart Gardens, a must see. There are also a thousand or so great pubs. A few hours in the Empress Hotel Bar is wonderful, if a bit overpriced, experience.

As for inspections, be honest about what you have in the fridge, don't take any firewood or weapons along and nobody gives you any hassel. Be SURE to take a passport or Birth Certificates with you. Will need them to get back home, or else endure the scolding lecture from the DHS. If you have a passport, it is a walk.

Spend a day in Sydney, and do some art shopping at Metic exchange rates. Some good eateries, and there are many, many more are the Spinaker Pub, the Four Mile Pbub, the all-you-can-eat-shrimp night at the Six Mile PPubb, the Strathmore Hotel PppUUb, and the Executive House Hotel PPPPPPPPbbubpp. Avoid the fish houses on the waterfront - overpriced and not that good. There is a great Korean place on Douglas St, near the north end of downtown. Also a drive out Dallas Drive/ Beach Drive along the Strait is nice and the restaruant at the Marina at Oak Bay is great for fish. The village of Oak Bay is more British than London. Go there for excellent meat pies and bangers and mash. Also a must for afternoon tea, at 1/4 the price of high tea at the Empress. Tea at BC Museum is also nice, and will do for lunch or dinner.

Be ready for the Ferry fee - it is nearly a hundred dollars for a truck and trailer. But fun, and once you get there everything is 2/3 the price you would expect. The prices all look familiar, but are Canadian money, still a bargain. :)

Attached Images

• P1010069.JPG

Roland and Suzan 1015-A
The Casitasaraus

#4 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,248 posts
  • Local time: 07:29 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 16 October 2004 - 01:08 PM

Over the years we have crossed the BC border at various places, and the only time the trailer was inspected was by US Customs a few weeks after 9/11. Going in, we have sometimes been asked, how much liquor we were carrying, if we had any guns or pepper spray, and if the dogs had up to date shots. And it's a good idea to carry either a passport or two picture ids. Coming home, we are usually asked how long we stayed, where we went, what we purchased, and about fresh produce.

We spent almost 4 weeks on Vancouver Island just last month. It's a beautiful place. We spend most of our time in the central and northern areas, and stay at the Provincial and National Parks (no hookups). So I can't help help you there.

Have fun.
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.