24 replies to this topic

#1 PerfectCasita

PerfectCasita
  • After-Market Product Supplier
  • 413 posts
  • Local time: 02:21 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:None

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

We are proud to announce that our Casita Closet System is finally here. We decided to fabricate a full set of closet shelves to

maximize the storage space of the Casita closet. The shelves are fully adjustable, allowing owners to space their placement to their

specific needs, depending on what and how they prefer to stow items. You can clearly find what you are looking for with the LED light

system lighting up the closet at night or the day. The Casita Closet System consists of 3 large shelves, 1 smaller upper shelf, an

adhesive backed LED lighting strip running on your DC power supply, and a pressure switch which activates the light system upon

opening the closet door. Please take a closer look of what a typical installed system will look like below.

forum pic a.jpg

Closet lit with items.jpg

Closet lit empty brighter.jpg

NOTE: As many of you already know, the Casita closets tend to have some variance in size due to the manufacturing process when they are built. I know there is a quality template system available for people who want to produce their own shelve solutions, and I know it has been traveling between members here on the forum. Due to the cost of thermoforming (based on the shelves size a single sheet of 4x8 sheet of plastic yields 2 shelves), we decided to add the light system to provide additional value to our customers. Shelves can be purchased separately, though we feel the best value deal is to purchase the entire system.

Shelves will be available for $299.95 plus shipping, which will be a flat fee determined in the following few days.

Thank you for looking.

Noah
  • GlacierGirl, LarryTB and BooknBob like this
Orbital Machine Works online store
http://www.perfectcasita.com

#2 GlacierGirl

GlacierGirl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 13 posts
  • Local time: 12:21 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2009 17' Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:hiking, camping, backcountry skiing, grandchildren

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:10 PM

I'm looking forward to hearing more (shipping cost, how to order, etc.)! They look great!

Mark & Barb
Casita: 2009 17' Spirit Deluxe
TV: Honda Pilot

"The mountains are calling and I must go." (John Muir)

#3 PerfectCasita

PerfectCasita
  • Topic Starter
  • 413 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

I posted this in the "New Product" thread earlier, but wanted to make sure everyone saw a reply to the questions.

Hi Barb,

The actual weight of the shelves (4 combined) is 13-14 pounds with the attachment hardware. The LED light strip and switch should be an additional 2-3 pounds.

We are going to ship the system in separate packages for 2 reasons:

1. Because the light strip shape (long and narrow) and shelving shape (relatively wide and short) using a single large box will allow for a greater chance of things to come loose and rattle around in transit. We prefer to use packaging that is close on at least 2 measurements to prevent this.

2. Shipping two boxes allows us to charge less for shipping. The most cost effective solution will be to send the shelving via FedEx ground (or home delivery) and the light system by parcel post.

Shipping Cost Comparison (Two small boxes vs. one large) using UPS, USPS, & FedEx rates:
(Houston is close to us, and Seattle costs emulate New England costs)

One Large Box to Houston by FedEx (cheapest) : $46
Two Small Boxes to Houston via USPS/FedEx : $25

One Large Box to Seattle area by FedEx : $78
Two Small Boxes to Seattle via USPS/FedEx : $38

Our goal is to only break even on the shipping, so we will be charging a flat fee of $27.

I have one additional prototype set in my hands right now (though they are black) that are available for sale.

Our vacuum molder is in the process of ordering material for our first production run. The first 30 sets should be ready right around Christmas, which is why I have not put them on Amazon yet.

If you have additional questions please feel free to give me a call, though you might have to leave a message for me if I am out in the shop. My number at work is 972-861-0599. Thanks.

Noah

#4 GlacierGirl

GlacierGirl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 13 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2009 17' Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:hiking, camping, backcountry skiing, grandchildren

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:59 PM

Oh boy, thank you so much for all the info, Noah! I will allow the coffers to refill and will look again after Christmas. Thank you !!

Barb

Mark & Barb
Casita: 2009 17' Spirit Deluxe
TV: Honda Pilot

"The mountains are calling and I must go." (John Muir)

#5 tractors1

tractors1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 424 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:ex-LD17, Escape21 now
  • Interests:Scuba diving, old tractors, woodworking

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

Appears to leave no hanging space?

ex-owner LD17, Escape 21 now
2013 Tacoma V6 4dr 4wd long bed

Need a widget to hold your stuff?

Don't drill holes!
http://www.rvwidgetworks.com

#6 sandyb12

sandyb12
  • Casita Club Member
  • 87 posts
  • Local time: 11:21 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2016 Escape 5.0 TA

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

Yeah, that's what I was thinking! I have to have some hanging space too, so that set up won't work for me.

#7 sandyb12

sandyb12
  • Casita Club Member
  • 87 posts
  • Local time: 11:21 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2016 Escape 5.0 TA

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

looks beautiful tho and I love the light!

#8 baron100

baron100
  • Casita Club Member
  • 105 posts
  • Local time: 01:21 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:SD 17

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:49 AM

On a recent trip through Texas, I was able to stop by and visit with the Orbital Machine Works team. Thanks to Noah for staying late one night and giving me the grand tour.

The first thing I noticed was an impressive looking rocket hanging on one of the walls that looked liked an AMRAAM missile. They showed me a booster stage for a rocket they were constructing. These guys have some real engineering talent. They are responsible for the mechanical design and Information technology department for a large electrical switch assembly company located adjacent to their site.

Their shop also has a wide array of machine equipment for prototype fabrication. I looked at components for their closet system and I think their design will work great for me.

I tend to keep a supply of socks, underwear, shorts, cold weather gear, etc. in the closet. When I take off, I put whatever hanging clothes I need for that particular trip in my truck.

While I was there I picked up and later installed one of their guards for the exterior plumbing on my Casita. It should allow a good crumple zone and some protection to the plumbing when rock crawling rough roads.

Looking forward to my closet delivery.

#9 PerfectCasita

PerfectCasita
  • Topic Starter
  • 413 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:07 AM

Oh boy, thank you so much for all the info, Noah! I will allow the coffers to refill and will look again after Christmas. Thank you !!

Barb

Barb,

You are very welcome. We should have sets available after the holidays. Make sure to enjoy the holidays as well.

#10 PerfectCasita

PerfectCasita
  • Topic Starter
  • 413 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:45 AM

Tractors,

We wanted to maximize the shelf space in the closet. When you use all four shelves the hanging bar is essentially replaced. Our suggestion with clothing is to roll the items and store them on the shelves. That being said, you will notice the shelves "cut out" away from the door (in order to maintain stock location of the fire extinguisher). It may be possible (in a pinch) to utilize this space with a hanging item of clothing by rotating the neck of the hangar 90 degrees clockwise. I have not tried this myself, but it may be possible. My thought on the recessed area was that it would be a good control space or "catch" for a broom/mop.

Our design definitely eliminates a significant portion of the hanging abilities of the closet when the entire set is purchased. An a la carte purchase of one or two of the large bottom shelves would allow usage of hangars for clothing articles such as shirts and pants (shorter in length--no dresses or trenchcoats).

Stability was the other reason why our shelves are made in this particular design. Because of the adjustable attachment system, it is important that we maximize the amount of support the shelves will have. This is accomplished by maximizing the number of attachment points, yet still making the installation easy as possible for our customers. We really wanted everyone to be able to install the shelves themselves, regardless of tool/handyperson experience, and also so that our sets will fit in any Casita closet without having to manufacture a custom set for each closet (most likely cost prohibitive due to lack of economies of scale).

I hope this answers your question and explains in greater depth to readers our design intentions. Thank you.

Noah

#11 PerfectCasita

PerfectCasita
  • Topic Starter
  • 413 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:47 AM

looks beautiful tho and I love the light!

Sandy,

Thanks for the compliment.

#12 PerfectCasita

PerfectCasita
  • Topic Starter
  • 413 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:50 AM

On a recent trip through Texas, I was able to stop by and visit with the Orbital Machine Works team. Thanks to Noah for staying late one night and giving me the grand tour.

The first thing I noticed was an impressive looking rocket hanging on one of the walls that looked liked an AMRAAM missile. They showed me a booster stage for a rocket they were constructing. These guys have some real engineering talent. They are responsible for the mechanical design and Information technology department for a large electrical switch assembly company located adjacent to their site.

Their shop also has a wide array of machine equipment for prototype fabrication. I looked at components for their closet system and I think their design will work great for me.

I tend to keep a supply of socks, underwear, shorts, cold weather gear, etc. in the closet. When I take off, I put whatever hanging clothes I need for that particular trip in my truck.

While I was there I picked up and later installed one of their guards for the exterior plumbing on my Casita. It should allow a good crumple zone and some protection to the plumbing when rock crawling rough roads.

Looking forward to my closet delivery.

Rob,

I (along with our military friends) am glad it only looks like an AMRAAM.

#13 tractors1

tractors1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 424 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:ex-LD17, Escape21 now
  • Interests:Scuba diving, old tractors, woodworking

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

Stability was the other reason why our shelves are made in this particular design. Because of the adjustable attachment system, it is important that we maximize the amount of support the shelves will have. This is accomplished by maximizing the number of attachment points, yet still making the installation easy as possible for our customers. We really wanted everyone to be able to install the shelves themselves, regardless of tool/handyperson experience, and also so that our sets will fit in any Casita closet without having to manufacture a custom set for each closet (most likely cost prohibitive due to lack of economies of scale).

I hope this answers your question and explains in greater depth to readers our design intentions. Thank you.

Noah

Noah, I understand the scale-up issue a larger company needs. That's great! Leaves market room for weenies like me who just do custom stuff....
Charlie Y

ex-owner LD17, Escape 21 now
2013 Tacoma V6 4dr 4wd long bed

Need a widget to hold your stuff?

Don't drill holes!
http://www.rvwidgetworks.com

#14 PerfectCasita

PerfectCasita
  • Topic Starter
  • 413 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

Noah

Noah, I understand the scale-up issue a larger company needs. That's great! Leaves market room for weenies like me who just do custom stuff....
Charlie Y

I like the work that you do Charlie. The i-phone holder with plug exit is really neat product.

#15 baron100

baron100
  • Casita Club Member
  • 105 posts
  • Local time: 01:21 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:SD 17

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:27 PM

I recently received and installed the Orbital Machine Works Closet System.

The closet system was worth the wait. It proved to be another well thoughtout design from this company.

The shelves installed easily with the sliding bars underneath the shelves that bite into the carpet walls of the closet.

One suggestion is to use a 7/16" nut driver when installing the shelves so that you can provide outward tension on the bars while rotating the nut that lock the bars against the closet wall.

View showing installed shelved with full door length LED lighting.

Posted Image

View showing relief in front of shelves to allow closure of closet door with storage hardware attached.

Posted Image

View showing sliding attachment hardware and clearance that shelves provide on shower wall for water hoses and vent tubing

Posted Image

View showing magnetic switch that mates with switch on the door. The switches don't need to mate exactly, They will turn the light off when the door closes as long as they are in about 1/2" proximity to each other.

Posted Image

Edited by baron100, 03 March 2013 - 04:08 PM.