5 replies to this topic

#1 Jameslk

Jameslk
  • Casita Club Member
  • 10 posts
  • Local time: 05:59 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:spirit delux 17

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:11 PM

What freezing temperature can be reach, before having to worry about draining the hot water tank, I want to use my trailer where there are cold nights but warm days. Most of the time the trailer will not be occupied, just setting in a unheated building.

Thank-you for your input.

#2 breckenridge

breckenridge
  • Casita Club Member
  • 456 posts
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, canoe, road/mtn biking, telemark skiing & cooking
  • Casita Club Directory #:2934

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

Have dry camped in temps down to 20* & never had a issue with water heater. However, the water tank drain did freeze but caused no damage.
I have wrapped the water lines with foam, try to park in sun shine, drained the out side shower & leave all the doors open.
13' Patriot Deluxe/2008: Sold
16' LD/2010
Nissan Xterra Off Road/2009
Bianchi Nirone C2C/2009
Specialized HardRock Sport 29 MtnBike
Mad River 14' Canoe

#3 mike712

mike712
  • Casita Club Member
  • 632 posts
  • Local time: 04:59 AM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

A it is difficult to give a definitive answer to your question. It occurs to me that it may be colder in an unheated storage building in late winter than outside in the sun. So, in most of the U.S., I would drain the hot water heater and by-pass the heater with the valve for that purpose. Then you would only need to worry about the water lines, water pump and drain traps. If your storage is within a hundred miles of natural palm trees, you might get by without draining the tank. Mike
Mike & Sally
---Iowa---
2004 17 SD
2006 Tundra

#4 loki265@bellsouth.net

loki265@bellsouth.net
  • Casita Club Member
  • 56 posts
  • Local time: 07:59 AM
  • Interests:Travel, fishing.

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:23 PM

If you are park inside a garage, you probably have power.

You can leave the hot water tank on Electric or even gas and it will not freeze.

However in severe cold you must have power, plug in or generator and you can

add an electric line heater along the water line even inside, you just rap it up to the

water line and even around the water tank. these line heaters (looks like flat extention cord) have

their own termostat and will prevent any freezing. I have installed one under my grey water tank

and I can flush it easily.

I have park on ski hill at zero temp. and had no problem with freezing.

I have an onboard installed generator on my Casita.

I live in Florida but I go visit my son in Canada for the Christmas holliday and I travel with my Casita.

Manny

#5 Don in OKC

Don in OKC
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,533 posts
  • Local time: 06:59 AM

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:29 PM

Folks who store the Casita for days/weeks at a time, with water in the hot water tank, sometimes report a 'sulfur like' smell.

Seems like this was in conjunction with being plugged in to electricity. Electrolysis in action, etc.

There's something about having a battery on board (DC electricity), water in the water heater (whether the water heater is working or not, it's about the materials present), and time, that is a bad combination.

If the water heater is empty and 'bypassed' it might be OK, I dunno. Then you just have stale water, but no smell being manufactured.
Don in OKC - (Useta have a) 2000 16' LD, 98 Chrysler T&C

#6 Jameslk

Jameslk
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 10 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:spirit delux 17

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

What freezing temperature can be reach, before having to worry about draining the hot water tank, I want to use my trailer where there are cold nights but warm days. Most of the time the trailer will not be occupied, just setting in a unheated building.

Thank-you for your input.

Thank-you for the help, I guess I will just have to do a little experimenting. I find that half the fun of owning a travel trailer, is learning about it and what will work for me. When I am by myself without the ladies, I don't need much. Thanks Again, for the help, James