2 replies to this topic

#1 casitauser

casitauser
  • Casita Club Member
  • 37 posts
  • Local time: 09:04 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17FD

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:44 PM

Having experienced my first blowout, and at 65 mph on the Interstate, I am wondering about tire pressure monitoring systems (TPMS). I have quickly Googled TPMS and have found that there are many more TPMS's now available since I first looked for them about three years ago.

It would seem that a TPMS would be well worth it for a single-axle trailer that has had a record of blowouts being not uncommon. There are even TPMS's that can be screwed onto the valve stem (certainly would require metal stems, but I and most have gone that route already) without changing or dismounting the tire.

Here is the externally mounted one, but there are very many others. http://www.doranmfg....uremonitors.htm

I hope someone has experience with TPMS and will share with others here.

#2 Ed/Helen Pensacola

Ed/Helen Pensacola
  • Casita Club Member
  • 59 posts
  • Local time: 08:04 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:16' Spirit Delux

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:52 AM

I have a system from TST www.tsttruck.com. It works pretty good. Take a little while as you have to input each sensor's code into the monitor. It reads pressure and temperature in case you have a break sticking. The one I have you have to take the sensor off to put air in the tires. Now I believe they have a flow through sensor.

#3 TumaloTed

TumaloTed
  • Casita Club Member
  • 25 posts
  • Local time: 07:04 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2016 17 Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:2012 Toyota Highlander
    2011 Jayco Eagle 28ft. TT
    2010 Chevy 2500 Silverado
    Member: Good Sam, Escapees, Elks
    Winters spent at jojobohills.com

Posted 04 September 2016 - 07:07 AM

We have the Doran360 on our 2 axle Jayco.   Definitely need metal valve stems.  Advantage is that one just plugs in the monitor to get psi before and during travel days.   I think TST is good also,  but at one time the tires had to move some before you got a reading.  Hopefully that has changed  if I need to air up at my site where the electricity is!   Our Dorans last about 4.5 years or so before need new sensor for the built-in battery sensors.  Cost $25 to replace. They did save a tire once in Baja where a sharp stone caused a leak and the monitor gave the alarm of low pressure.