#1 Rob and Laura

Rob and Laura
  • Casita Club Member
  • 52 posts
  • Local time: 08:05 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:looking for a Casita
  • Trailer Name:Casita

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

Can anyone advise on the ADCO cover for a Casita? If you have one....how do you like that cover for the Casita. What size did you buy? The cover from Casita is very nice....but really seems a tad "pricey" at @ $500 Also any advice on what you use to wash your egg? Should I be going to a marine supply store for something designed specifically for the fiberglass exterior? Or...is there a viable type of soap that is more readily available the will clean our trailer without wearing on the fiberglass? As always.....thanks in advance for any advice.
Rob & Laura ( not Petrie )

#2 Rob and Linda

Rob and Linda
  • Casita Club Member
  • 627 posts
  • Local time: 11:05 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Airstream 23D
  • Interests:Photography, woodworking, fly fishing, hiking/backpacking, audio, Porsches.
  • Trailer Name:Fortune Cookie

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

Can anyone advise on the ADCO cover for a Casita? If you have one....how do you like that cover for the Casita. What size did you buy? The cover from Casita is very nice....but really seems a tad "pricey" at @ $500 Also any advice on what you use to wash your egg? Should I be going to a marine supply store for something designed specifically for the fiberglass exterior? Or...is there a viable type of soap that is more readily available the will clean our trailer without wearing on the fiberglass? As always.....thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi, Rob & Laura... I really can't help with your cover question, but I do have a "favorite" for washing the Casita... I mix up regular DAWN dishwashing detergent and water in a big bucket and go after it... rinse from the hose and towel dry (well, mostly dry) the part I can reach. Three or four times a year, I slather on a coat of Maguiers Flagship marine wax... on with the cover and it looks shiny next time out.

Have a great rest-of-the-week!

Rob

Rob & Linda, Hurst, Texas
Our ex-Casita Photos
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd300/albums/72157626742329244

Airstream Photos - https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd300/albums/72157663633667345
2014 Airstream 23D International Serenity
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5 EcoBoost Max Tow

#3 wrink69

wrink69
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2012 17' spirit

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

Hi, Rob & Laura... I really can't help with your cover question, but I do have a "favorite" for washing the Casita... I mix up regular DAWN dishwashing detergent and water in a big bucket and go after it... rinse from the hose and towel dry (well, mostly dry) the part I can reach. Three or four times a year, I slather on a coat of Maguiers Flagship marine wax... on with the cover and it looks shiny next time out.

Rob

That is exactly what we use to maintain the finish on our Casita. We bought the Silvertech cover but haven't used it yet. We will cover when it gets a little colder. Will post again when we decide if we are satisfied with it. The Maquiers Flagship Marine Wax is wonderful and we will continue to use it.

Good Luck, Mary

#4 Jim & Carol

Jim & Carol
  • Casita Club Member
  • 354 posts
  • Local time: 09:05 PM

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

The first cover for my Casita was made be ADCO and bought through Camping World. It was custom made for the Casita and I even got a call from the ADCO factory to make sure they had the right model and dimensions for my 17 ft LD. I don't remember the exact cost but seemed to be about $250 and was made from Aqua-shed fabric that was supposedly good for the Seattle area wet climate. I bought it as a compromise in cost between the cheaper Cover Giant covers and the expensive Calmark cover. It had a zip open door that fit pretty well over the Casita door and 3 straps underneath to hold it down. It got abraded very quickly by the sharp corner edges on the metal front door step but then held up well for about 3 years after a lot of padding with rubber padding and duct tape in that area. Then it started abrading in other places and ultimately over the AC shroud. I was able to patch it through the early part of the fifth year (even using the storage bag as patch material) but finally gave up and bought a cheaper cover that is holding up well through the second year. All in all, it seemed like I got my money's worth. For me the big lesson learned was to get fabric that is abrasion resistant and then watch carefully for signs of wear in areas that you can pad before they get worse.
Jim
2005 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
2005 Tundra 4x4

#5 Rob and Laura

Rob and Laura
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

Rob

Thank you for the suggestions - really appreciate it! We're learning a lot as we go along!! :-))

#6 Rob and Laura

Rob and Laura
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:07 PM

The first cover for my Casita was made be ADCO and bought through Camping World. It was custom made for the Casita and I even got a call from the ADCO factory to make sure they had the right model and dimensions for my 17 ft LD. I don't remember the exact cost but seemed to be about $250 and was made from Aqua-shed fabric that was supposedly good for the Seattle area wet climate. I bought it as a compromise in cost between the cheaper Cover Giant covers and the expensive Calmark cover. It had a zip open door that fit pretty well over the Casita door and 3 straps underneath to hold it down. It got abraded very quickly by the sharp corner edges on the metal front door step but then held up well for about 3 years after a lot of padding with rubber padding and duct tape in that area. Then it started abrading in other places and ultimately over the AC shroud. I was able to patch it through the early part of the fifth year (even using the storage bag as patch material) but finally gave up and bought a cheaper cover that is holding up well through the second year. All in all, it seemed like I got my money's worth. For me the big lesson learned was to get fabric that is abrasion resistant and then watch carefully for signs of wear in areas that you can pad before they get worse.

Hi Jim and Carol, Thank you for the response. We're learning as we go along in Casita World...and we sure do appreciate the suggestions. We ordered the Adco cover custom made for the Casita. It will take a while before we receive it. So we'll take a look at possibly making something with some sort of material to put over the A/C and the step (perhaps material secured with velcro, not sure) to avoid abrasion. Wondering if you remove the cover when it rains to avoid keeping too much moisture around the Casita? We really for the sun damage and not the rain. Wondering if it's best to keep the cover off in the winter during cool months. Not sure. Thanks again for responding and for all the info - really appreciate it ! Safe travels to you!

#7 Rob and Laura

Rob and Laura
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

Rob

That is exactly what we use to maintain the finish on our Casita. We bought the Silvertech cover but haven't used it yet. We will cover when it gets a little colder. Will post again when we decide if we are satisfied with it. The Maquiers Flagship Marine Wax is wonderful and we will continue to use it.

Good Luck, Mary

Thank you, Mary. We're taking your advice and looking to see where we can purchase the Maquiers Wax. Saw a good deal on Amazon. Will check it out! Thanks again...really appreciate the response! ....Rob & Laura

#8 Jim & Carol

Jim & Carol
  • Casita Club Member
  • 354 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

Hi Jim and Carol, Thank you for the response. We're learning as we go along in Casita World...and we sure do appreciate the suggestions. We ordered the Adco cover custom made for the Casita. It will take a while before we receive it. So we'll take a look at possibly making something with some sort of material to put over the A/C and the step (perhaps material secured with velcro, not sure) to avoid abrasion. Wondering if you remove the cover when it rains to avoid keeping too much moisture around the Casita? We really for the sun damage and not the rain. Wondering if it's best to keep the cover off in the winter during cool months. Not sure. Thanks again for responding and for all the info - really appreciate it ! Safe travels to you!

I leave both the old ADCO and new cover on continuously between trips and have not had any problem with moisture, mold or mildew on or in the trailer. The cover itself gets a good coating of greenish mildew on the outside on the north side during the winter. I clean off with some bleach before removing it for the first trip in the spring.

Edited by Jim & Carol, 12 November 2012 - 02:49 PM.

• Leatherwood likes this
Jim
2005 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
2005 Tundra 4x4

#9 RbtHill

RbtHill
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

Hi, My wife and I just picked up our 2012 FD 17 in Colorado, the fellow had it 9 months, bought a full zipper flap cover. He hated it. It ripped in several places (maybe because he had it outside in the wind), and when we removed it it was dried and flaking apart. We did not take it on our trip to CA. Hope this helps. I never got the brand or company. I can call and ask if important enough to you.

Bob

#10 GregC

GregC
  • Casita Club Member
  • 27 posts
  • Local time: 10:05 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2012 17 SD
  • Interests:Saltwater Fishing
    Boating
    Gardening
    Cooking

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

Rob

Just curious why would you use Dawn to wash your Casita? Just do a quick online search on boat hull care and you will see Dawn will strip your wax coating.

#11 Robere

Robere
  • Casita Club Member
  • 91 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2010 17' SD HLA
  • Interests:nature, jazz, history, and friendly people

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

Meguires wash when needed & Meguires Premium Wax twice a year.
Robere & Jacqueline (aka Pepe & Gigi) with Ella (the Miniature Poodle) & Tibet (the Lhasa Apso).
2012 Toyota 4Runner 4.0 liter V-6 4x4 followed by
"blue note" a 2010 17' SD HLA

#12 kdmccue

kdmccue
  • Casita Club Member
  • 14 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe 17'

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

I too am interested in when to use the cover. We are subject to sun damage here and would like to leave it on during the winter rain season but DO NOT want condensation issues. I have had several ADCO covers on my previous trailer and they tended to last 2-3 years. The cheapest ADCO only lasted 12 months and ripped at all the pressure points - in their defense, the cover was too big so that could have been the problem.

When do you keep your Casita covered and when do you leave it uncovered?

#13 schatzie

schatzie
  • Casita Club Member
  • 225 posts
  • Local time: 10:05 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' SD

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:10 AM

We live in Wisconsin and have a very limited camping season; May 15th to November 15th. Casita gets covered and stored on our driveway between November 15th and May 15th. I bought a Calmark cover when I bought the Casita new in 2009. After four years of our snowy and windy fall and winters, the cover looks like new. I leave the fantastic fan vent open when covered and have had no problems with condensation, mold, mildew, or rubbing abrasion. The cover was ordered from Calmark owner with instructions that I had a 17'SD with awning, MaxxAir vent, and roof A/C. Cover fits like a glove and is easy to put on and remove using the homemade poles mentioned by Rob and Linda. Calmark cover costs a bit more, but I will buy another when it comes time for replacement. I am 100% satisfied with the cover's fit and finish and was very impressed by the Calmark owner when ordering it.

Bob
Bob & Ginny Schattschneider
South Milwaukee, WI.
2009 Casita 17' SD
2004 Ford F-150 FX4

#14 Casita-Freak

Casita-Freak
  • Casita Club Member
  • 240 posts
  • Local time: 11:05 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita Spirit 17' 2012
  • Interests:Astronomy, CCD Imaging, Telescope making, Amateur radio WD5IKX, Photography, Reading
  • Trailer Name:Moonlight Manor

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

I too have a Calmark cover I got with my 17' SD and it is in great shape at one and a half years and it looks like it will last many more. A friend of mine bought a cheaper cover for his 26' Surveyor and it is already wearing and ripping and it is not even a year old.

CalMark cover-sm.JPG

John
Casita-Freak
2012 17' SD
Whitesboro, TX

#15 Rob and Laura

Rob and Laura
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:14 AM

Great info here everyone. We did go for the more expensive cover. We first bought one, a cheap one, and when we covered the Casita in our driveway it looked like something wrapped in aluminum foil. Next day went back and returned it. Then we ordered the more expensive cloth cover from Adco - Camping World - custom for a Casita. We've only had it for a few months - so far so good. We still didn't get the knack of covering it - wish someone had videotaped our first try - it was pretty funny. We had some good laughs that day! Good info on Meguires - thanks. We're looking for it online. Both the marine wax and the wash. We've been using a washing soap which we purchased in the auto store - supposedly good for fiberglass but I think we'll go with the Meguires to be on the safe side. Looking at it on Amazon right now. Thanks again everyone!