• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 Randy

Randy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 131 posts
  • Local time: 01:40 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 SD 17'
  • Interests:Camping,Fishing,Hiking,Boating,Photography, Geocaching,Canoeing the BWCA

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

Thanks Noah- I'm glad to know that a grinding wheel will work, that gives me another option to look at or maybe my only option!

#17 PerfectCasita

PerfectCasita
  • After-Market Product Supplier
  • 413 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:None

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

Thanks Noah- I'm glad to know that a grinding wheel will work, that gives me another option to look at or maybe my only option!

Randy,

Here are some notes I put together with pictures of Larry's old brackets that he cut off himself. Notice he had some stress fractures in his original bracket as well, which is something owners with the welded brackets will want to look at, regardless if they add the lift or not.

Welded original removal.jpg

stress crack check.jpg

inside look weld attachment new bracket resize.jpg
Orbital Machine Works online store
http://www.perfectcasita.com

#18 baron100

baron100
  • Casita Club Member
  • 105 posts
  • Local time: 12:40 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:SD 17

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

Posted Image

A safety side benefit from increased clearances provided by the lift kit is expected in the event of a encountering a road hazard like hitting a tire carcass or encountering a catastropic tire failure.The increased clearances should make it easier for a road hazard to pass through the wheel well rather than damaging the fiberglass or in a more extreme situation, preventing a fire in the thin wheel well that can quickly penetrate the trailer shell and result in loss of the trailer.

Increased clearances from the lift kit arguably could reduce the damage.

Edited by baron100, 25 December 2012 - 06:39 PM.

#19 Larry & Debbie Gamble

Larry & Debbie Gamble
  • 669 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:96 17SD

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

Well,
I'm a bit late to this party, but I'll throw in my experiences. As is typical, no two Casita's are alike. With regard to cutting off the axle, some are welded in areas that a cut off wheel or plasma cutter can access with little or no problem. Others are welded behind the torsion arm in a location that can only be reached with a more slender tool like a reciprocating saw with a long blade. Removing the axle can take from 30 minutes to 3 hours depending on what your up against.

To my knowledge none of the Redneck branches stock the AP166 brackets but usually can get them in a week or slightly more. Dexter runs their own fleet to their distributors and most get weekly deliveries.

Larry
Larry & Debbie Gamble
Original owners 96 17 SD
The Honeymoon Cottage

www.LittleHouseCustoms.com

#20 WandaR

WandaR
  • Casita Club Member
  • 107 posts
  • Local time: 10:40 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17 foot Freedom
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, photography,

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:07 AM

I'm reading this with great interest, as I want to fit a Reece WDH this spring, and need to "capture" three more inches of hitch height.  I'm new to the Casita, and got my head under the rear yesterday  to see if my 2007 has welded or bolted axle.  Relieved to see it is bolted!  I also noticed TWO sets of stabilizers in the rear- swing down legs plus a pair of wind down stabilizers (jacks?) Is this "normal" or is it an add on for one pair, and if so, which pair are factory and which are add ons?

#21 GarlandGuy

GarlandGuy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 94 posts
  • Local time: 12:40 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2014 SD 17'

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:25 AM

The swing down are the factory installed - these are Atwood Stabilizer jacks.  The screw type are add-on.  Usually I've seen people put something at the front.  Maybe they didn't want to cut the factory ones off.

#22 WandaR

WandaR
  • Casita Club Member
  • 107 posts
  • Local time: 10:40 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17 foot Freedom
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, photography,

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:53 AM

Thank you for your reply.  The add ons are not screw type, but sort of swing down  also.  This type were on my Trillium.  They swing down and have a type of spring activated click stop.  They have to be swung  down into contact with the ground, then "set" by jacking at the trailer front.  I did not use them on the Trillium, and finally cut them off.

#23 solinski

solinski
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts
  • Local time: 11:40 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17 Spirit Deluxe 2008
  • Interests:Skiing,snowshoeing,cycling,kayaking,short hikes,and long naps.Tinkering,fixing all the stuff that keeps breaking, modifying just about everything. Attempting to integrate into the digital age of 21 century. Enjoying the great outdoors and then returning to the comforts of my luxury resort on wheels "Casita".
    Solinski

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:57 AM

Greetings Casita lovers, I recently purchased a :dncinban: 2008 Casita Spirit Deluxe with factory stock 205/75/14 inch tires. My Casita has a clearance of  7 inches from the sewer valve to the road.  I have owned my 1991 Wilderness F15 single axle travel trailer for 21 years and the Casita is quite an upgrade for me. The Wilderness has 12 inches clearance sewer valve to road with 205/75/15 tires and the axle "flipped". I would like to have the same clearance on the Casita. I do not want to invest in the Dexter high axle. Has anyone installed a :unsure: 5 inch body to axle spacer or seen a Casita with a 5 inch body spacer? I have seen photo's here on the forum of a Casita with 4 inch lifted body. I would also like to center the axle. The front of the tire to fender clearance is approximately  2 inches and  rear of the tire to fender clearance is approximatley 3 inches. Is there a reason why the axle is not :huh: centered within the wheelwell? I plan to install  225/15R/75 tires and I am concerned with the front tire to fender clearance. I winter travel in mountain/snow country and there are times that the CHP requires :( traction control on the trailer as well as the tow vehicle. I would like to be able to outfit my Casita with limited clearance cable traction devices. I would like to purchase rather than fabricate the 4 inch body lift spacer but to my knowledge Orbital and Dexter only have a 3 inch spacer available? I am also changing my tow vehicle from a 1998 Tacoma Prerunner(2wd.) 3.4 liter to a 2001 4Runner 3.4 liter 4 wd. The Tacoma tows my Casita without a weight distributing (WD.) hitch but the 4Runner has a much softer suspension and is 15 inchs shorter than the Tacoma.The 4Runner will definetly require a WD. hitch. I am considering the Equal-i-zer hitch but my propane tank mount is in the way of the torsion bar mounts. I can move the tank mount but I would like to avoid this if possible? I have many more ideas and modifications to discuss about but I think this is enough for now! I would appreciate any and all opinions, ideas, suggestions, etc. My next trip will be 4 days at Mount Shasta to cross XC ski, after this storm clears.

Hopefully with my Casita body raised to avoid those :wow:big clumps of bowling ball sized ice chunks. Thanks! :danc: Solinski

#24 PerfectCasita

PerfectCasita
  • 413 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:None

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:17 AM

. I would like to purchase rather than fabricate the 4 inch body lift spacer but to my knowledge Orbital and Dexter only have a 3 inch spacer available? ....

Jim at Orbital here.

We normally only make 3" lift spacers but we can make you a custom 4" lift that also centers the axle.

We love a challenge...

Send us an email and we can discuss

Orbital Machine Works online store
http://www.perfectcasita.com

#25 Randy

Randy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 131 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 SD 17'
  • Interests:Camping,Fishing,Hiking,Boating,Photography, Geocaching,Canoeing the BWCA

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:45 PM

I have the equal-i-zer hitch and my propane tank mounts are also in the way but I went ahead and installed the mount anyway. I just put the torsion bar mount in front of the propane tank mount and it seems to work just fine. I still may move the mount to where it should be some day but it has been working like this since 2007 and have never had any problems so it hasn't been a priority. Keep us updated on what you decide to do....