hl7engineer
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts
  • Local time: 04:13 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17'
  • Interests:Medical device interfacing and integration engineering
    Biking;Hiking;Camping;Vegan

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:54 PM

Did the high lift kit on my 2007 SD bolt on axle today. Easy enough for a caveman to do. Solid kit, has every needed to do the job. I did it in my garage with two jack stands on the rear end frame. I would add two items to the instructions.

1. Before you unbolt and drop the axle the 3 inches required, cut the plastic clip that holds the wire to the electric brake. Once the clip is cut, there is plenty of extra room on the wire to account for the added 3 inches. If you forget to cut the plastic clip, the wire can break. I caught it before the wire broke.

2. You can control the axle drop best by using a bottle jack under the axle. This method allows you to fully unbolt the axle bracket, then slowly lower the axle just the needed 3 inches. That's how I caught the brake wire streaching and then cut the plastic brake wire clip. Had I let the axle drop fast without controling it, the brake wire may have broken.

The rest of the instructions were very complete and very simple.

Thanks for a great lift product!! Saved me the cost of the high-lift axle. I was dragging my underside and bike rack on driveway ramps. I sorely needed the extra 3 inches. I can get another 1/2 inch now going from 14" to 15" wheels.

JB
  • Redfred likes this

#2 sparky1

sparky1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 279 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:13Ft Patriot Deluxe
  • Interests:camping in something--
    I have a female cat
    good sam lifetimer
  • Casita Club Directory #:2911 virginia

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:07 AM

I would tell the company this should be added to the instruction---most companies would be happy. This might help them have "less complaints"
MY 2 Cents

sparky1 in s.Va.

#3 PerfectCasita

PerfectCasita
  • After-Market Product Supplier
  • 413 posts
  • Local time: 03:13 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:None

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:40 AM

Did the high lift kit on my 2007 SD bolt on axle today. Easy enough for a caveman to do. Solid kit, has every needed to do the job. I did it in my garage with two jack stands on the rear end frame. I would add two items to the instructions.

1. Before you unbolt and drop the axle the 3 inches required, cut the plastic clip that holds the wire to the electric brake. Once the clip is cut, there is plenty of extra room on the wire to account for the added 3 inches. If you forget to cut the plastic clip, the wire can break. I caught it before the wire broke.

2. You can control the axle drop best by using a bottle jack under the axle. This method allows you to fully unbolt the axle bracket, then slowly lower the axle just the needed 3 inches. That's how I caught the brake wire streaching and then cut the plastic brake wire clip. Had I let the axle drop fast without controling it, the brake wire may have broken.

The rest of the instructions were very complete and very simple.

Thanks for a great lift product!! Saved me the cost of the high-lift axle. I was dragging my underside and bike rack on driveway ramps. I sorely needed the extra 3 inches. I can get another 1/2 inch now going from 14" to 15" wheels.

JB

JB,

Thanks for mentioning the clip. We are always looking to improve our products or service, and you have definitely found a step to improve our instructions. Thank you for the feedback and congratulations on a job well done.
Orbital Machine Works online store
http://www.perfectcasita.com

#4 richard.m

richard.m
  • Casita Club Member
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:fly fishing, fly tying, canoeing and kayaking, backpacking and canoe tripping. and of course Casita camping. my wife, Donna, and i are both retired and enjoy the outdoors.

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

i'm late to this conversation, but i would like to know where you purchased the axle lift kit. thanks Richard
Richard & Donna
2007 Liberty Deluxe
2000 Toyota 4-Runner
Asheville, NC

#5 PerfectCasita

PerfectCasita
  • 413 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

i'm late to this conversation, but i would like to know where you purchased the axle lift kit. thanks Richard

Richard,

JB bought the axle kit from Orbital Machine Works. Clicking HERE will take you to the description page which has information about our product and a link to the Amazon website where you can purchase the kit. I apologize if I am speaking out of turn, but no one has responded and I do not know if anyone sent you a private message. Please contact me if you have any questions. Thanks.

Noah

#6 Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit Deluxe

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:09 PM

The lift kit seems great. Will the original stabilizers still work?

Jim

Edited by Dr Pepper, 27 October 2012 - 05:53 PM.

Jim & Karen

Kerrville, TX
2005 17' Casita SD
2005 GMC Envoy
Single Arm WDH, Sway Bar

#7 PerfectCasita

PerfectCasita
  • 413 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:38 PM

Here are some photos sent back to us from our customer MT. These should help members see how the kit works with the factory axle. You can also see the before and after effects of an installation on a Casita.

And a hearty congratulations to Dr Pepper on your successful weekend installation.

Attached Thumbnails

• forward along left frame rail stock bracket in place.jpg
  • forward along left frame rail lift kit in place.jpg
  • left frame rail axle dropped lift kit installed.jpg
  • before lift kit.jpg
  • after lift kit.jpg

#8 baron100

baron100
  • Casita Club Member
  • 105 posts
  • Local time: 02:13 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:SD 17

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:07 PM

I completed installation of the High Lift Axle Spacer Kit from Orbital Machine Works today.

I found the Kit to be reasonably priced, an excellent design and easy to install with one person using a floor jack with two jackstands. The welded tangs on the bolts and nuts were a great aid to the installation.

I jacked up the trailer and removed the tire and wheels last night and applied a thread penetrating oil on the existing hardware to ease removal of the hardware today.

A break-over bar aided removal of the existing bolts.

The axle did not immediately drop as expected when all the bolts were removed. I found that I needed to pry the existing brackets apart with a long screwdriver for the axle to drop on one side

The kit should be an great aid to anyone wanting to move up to commonly available 15" tires in sizes like 225/75/15 with the safer load "D" or "E" rated tires.

The kit will also aid those of us that travel on the rougher roads when boondocking. Can't wait to try out the increased clearance at Big Bend National Park, Pine Canyon Backcountry.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

• Babs&Chris likes this

#9 Randy

Randy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 131 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 SD 17'
  • Interests:Camping,Fishing,Hiking,Boating,Photography, Geocaching,Canoeing the BWCA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:49 AM

Has anyone installed the high-lift kit on an older Casita with the welded-on axle and if so how much more work is involved?
  • WandaR likes this

#10 Splicer

Splicer
  • Casita Club Member
  • 21 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:1997 Spirit Deluxe / 16'

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

Hi Randy,

My axle was welded on the frame. Had it cut cut off and the AP-166 brackets welded on, then the lift kit and axle reinstalled. Very happy with the extra lift and dump clearance. Let me know if you want to see some pictures.
All the best,
Dave

#11 Randy

Randy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:Camping,Fishing,Hiking,Boating,Photography, Geocaching,Canoeing the BWCA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

Thanks Dave,

I take it the AP-166 brackets are what they install at the Casita factory on the bolt-on axles and if I'm right is that where you purchased them? Do you know if they used a torch, grinder or cut-off wheel to remove the welds? It looks like a fairly easy mod once you get the axle cut off but if you have pic's they would be great to see. I sure do like the look of the lifted Casita and the extra clearance for dumping would really be nice!

#12 Splicer

Splicer
  • Casita Club Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

I purchased the brackets from Redneck Trailer Supply (google for a location close to you). The welder used a plasma cutter to remove the axle and a stick welder to attach the 166 brackets to the frame. No pictures of the actual work in progress, but one finished view from the back curb side.

axle weld 010.jpg

Edited by Splicer, 03 December 2012 - 07:39 PM.

All the best,
Dave

#13 Splicer

Splicer
  • Casita Club Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:37 PM

And a view from the inside.

axle weld 003r.jpg
All the best,
Dave

#14 Randy

Randy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 131 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

Thanks for the info Dave- that's exactly what I was looking for!

#15 PerfectCasita

PerfectCasita
  • 413 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

Randy,

A grinding wheel will also work if you do not have access to a plasma cutter. I know Larry cut off a set for one of his customers and I believe he used this method (Larry tell me if I am wrong). If given a choice I prefer a pneumatic over electric because I have a greater sense of control over the cutting wheel, but either should work fine. An additional tip I found helpful whenever using a cutting wheel would be to grind the burrs left behind from cutting (so that the surface is smooth).

Dave thanks for the information about Redneck Trailer Supply. I would like to add that the store here in Arlington, TX does not keep them in stock (I recently called the store) and must order them. Project time will be kept to a minimum by ordering the plates ahead of time, though I do not know the estimated delivery time from Redneck Trailer Supply. Great pictures of your install Dave, and thank you for sharing this information.