Rob and Laura
  • Casita Club Member
  • 52 posts
  • Local time: 10:11 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:looking for a Casita
  • Trailer Name:Casita

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:20 AM

Hello Casitas,

Can anyone share with us some recommended RV parks in the San Diego area? Read some bad reviews on Chula Vista RV Park. Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for us? We will be going to a concert at Humphrey's on Shelter Island so we want to stay pretty close to the coast, not too far inland. Thanks, any info is appreciated!

#2 rb in pa

rb in pa
  • Casita Club Member
  • 13 posts
  • Local time: 11:11 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2010 17 ft Spirit dlx
  • Interests:OHV exploring & flower chasing - DVNP, ABSP, Mojave, JTree, & other places/parks, hiking, biking, photography

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:39 AM

I found the Del Mar Fairgrounds to be a great, though basic, place from which to visit my son just down the road.

http://www.delmarfai...ities.rvparking

The attendant was super! I used it in May of 2012 and there were, maybe, 6 rigs there.
Highly recommended, given my style - the basics and great location.

#3 FLkamper

FLkamper
  • Casita Club Member
  • 23 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 LD 17'

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

Campland on the Bay is probably the closest to Shelter Island. It's your typical private, family campground (crowded and busy) but from what I remember it was always clean. Be sure to stop by Bali Hai bar and have a mai tai before the concert- best mai tai's ever!
Michael & Kristin
2011 17' LD
Cedar Key, FL

#4 Rob and Laura

Rob and Laura
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:23 AM

Thanks for the suggestions!

#5 travlinbob

travlinbob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 687 posts
  • Local time: 12:11 AM
  • Interests:Family, travel, surfing the web, researching historical places and events, maps and charts, travel, cars, sailing, light sport aircraft and photography.
  • Casita Club Directory #:3005

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

I can highly recommend Campground On The Bay on Mission Bay. Mary and I spent 3 days there at the end of January. It is a decent, clean, safe and is a full service Resort with a large Laundromat, and a well stocked store, game room, swimming pool, and bar. It offers close access to down town San Diego, Pacific Beach, and La Jolla, just a few minutes away. It has 24 hour access with a security guard at the gate. I would call for reservations. It isn’t cheap but you get what you pay for
We enjoyed the Zoo where we took a bus tour, which also entitled us to all day use of the shuttles so we could revisit the areas where we wanted to spend more time. Also La Jolla is wonderful. Go to the Ellen Browning Scripps Park. We were there on Monday, January 28 and though there were quite a few people, it wasn’t crowded, and we had no trouble finding a place to park along the street. If you are lucky as we were, you will see sea lions, seals, and all forms of sea birds. We had a fantastic time and I hope we will be able to do it again.

The last time I had been in San Diego was in 1970 and had never been to Point Loma though I passed it many times by ship. It was well worth seeing. Check out the Visitor’s Center with a fabulous view of the city, the harbor, the Pacific Ocean, and the harbor islands. While there be sure and see the light house.
I hope this is helpful, though I know it’s a bit late in coming
09 C17SD "Rancho Casita", high lift axle, and 15" load range "D" Marathons
01 Chevy Blazer and 07 Trail Blazer

#6 Huevo Movil

Huevo Movil
  • Casita Club Member
  • 913 posts
  • Local time: 01:11 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:None att :-(
  • Casita Club Directory #:3089

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

Et al., If you are retired military and/or DoD civilian there are many GREAT campgrounds in the San Diego, CA area. Check out the listing of same nationwide at http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/ . This web site is operated by a private citizen, proudly retired from the U.S. Air Force. The site is not endorsed or sponsored by the DoD or any branch of the military service. It is supported by authorized users. Site access is authorized by all after establishing an account. Hope it helps.

Live well, life is very good!!!
Best. Shorty sends...
Rocket City USA, AL

2014 Roadtrek 190 Popular,  "Big Edna II"  :D

1999 Coach House 192KS Wide Body, aka "Big Edna"  (Sold, but not forgotten also... :unsure:)
2007 Casita 17' FD - (R/V Huevo Movil - RIP - Died on I-75)
2006 Casita 17' SD - (Sold, but not forgotten!)
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.”
- Ronald Reagan

#7 Maestro Bob

Maestro Bob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 24 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17' Liberty Deluxe
  • Interests:music and outdoors

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:09 PM

Please check the Mission Bay area I know there's a couple of RV parks there.

#8 Rob and Laura

Rob and Laura
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:33 AM

Thank you for your responses. We are not a military family, so the military campground info will not work for us. We will check out Campland on the Bay before summer season starts. Thanks again!

#9 Lyndaslp

Lyndaslp
  • Casita Club Member
  • 25 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17'SD
  • Interests:Quilting, Photography, Travel, and Spending time with family

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:12 PM

This is about a year late, but San Elijo is fantastic. Beach front, clean, some dividers (trees, bushes) between spots, and right in Cardiff by the Sea. Worth checking out.