#1 Airfoil

Airfoil
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 07:44 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Shopping for a 17

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:28 AM

Greetings everyone from Rick and Camille,
We are planning a leisurely trip from Austin up to the Poudre Canyon Co area leaving in 10 days. This will be a first for us in that part of the country with the Pod and we have about 12 days to enjoy.
Any words of advice? My concerns are the recent fires in that area and now that hunting season is open, availability of places to camp.
Being from central texas we arent cold weather experienced nor have we spent much time above 10,000 msl except in my Vans RV that is an airplane.
And words of wisdon will be greatly appreciated.
Rick

#2 Tawny&Gary

Tawny&Gary
  • Casita Club Member
  • 341 posts
  • Local time: 05:44 PM
  • Interests:We love the desert, mountains, Nat'l & State parks and hiking in nature.

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:49 PM

Rick ... can't speak to what Poudre looks like right now but I can tell you it is a gorgeous drive and no problem for a Casita with a proper tow vehicle. Not much effort needed. The weather is likely to be excellent but it will cool significantly at night. You could easily see 40-50 degrees difference from the high and low of each day so be prepared clothing wise.

And snow can visit the Rockies on a moments notice so keep an eye on the weather. I lived in the Denver Metro area for over 30 years before moving to Austin in 2000 and we visit Colorado every year, and several times most years. The weather is tough to beat and the scenary is to die for.

One word of caution for you folks coming from Texas to Colorado ... start hydrating early and keep it up throughout the trip! Lots and lots of water, not tea, not soda. Pure water. The altitude will dry you out something fierce and if you are not hydrated you run the risk of altitude sickness and bad headaches. We start the moment we leave home and stop in Santa Fe, NM for a couple of days to aclimate enroute. OK, so we get our chile fix as well.

Enjoy, safe travels and Happy Trails.

Gary

Gary & Tawny

Apache Junction, AZ

2008 17' SD ("B2") Formerly

2011 Heartland Prowler 5th wheel Currently

#3 Sue and Sandy

Sue and Sandy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,703 posts
  • Local time: 07:44 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2001 16ft. Freedom Deluxe

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:52 PM

Hi Rick and Camille,
We live in Longmont just south of Poudre Canyon. We took a drive several weeks ago around the High Park burn area. While there was some burn in the canyon, it is not discouraging. We were most concerned with Jack's Gulch campground off the canyon. The fire came up to the access road, but did not cross it. Some of the burn that you can see was devastating to that area, other parts were touched by fire, but not destroyed. Most of what we saw was grass growing where the fire had burned the undergrowth.

Hunters... Yes, you are going in the hunting season. Be sure to wear orange if you go hiking. But, I doubt hunters will be in the canyon since there is not real good grazing for elk and deer. Too hard to hike the steep canyon sides too.

We are currently having nights into the low 40's. Your water should be OK even if it gets to 30 overnight as long as it warms during the day. Disconnect your water hose if you are hooked up. That will freeze. Be sure to drive over Cameron Pass and look for moose!

Tawny and Gary gave excellent advice about drinking water and acclimating. Take it easy the first couple days and take naps.

Enjoy your visit, it is a wonderful place.

Susan and Sandy

post-176-0-54687300-1405271931_thumb.jpg

2001 16' FD "The Alpine Egg-Spress" #1155
2013 Ford F150 Supercab 4X4