2 replies to this topic

#1 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,346 posts
  • Local time: 07:23 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:30 PM

We have a trip scheduled for the end of October to Wichita, KS. We will be there around Oct 26-31. We are looking for camping suggestions as well as places to avoid. My son shows fancy rabbits and has qualified to compete in several events with the Texas State Youth Team. We will be spending a good part of most days at the Century II Performance & Expo center. We would prefer a state park. It appears the two closest parks are in Cheney and El Dorado both are approximately 30 miles away. Several RV parks have been suggested to participants and from what I can see online they look to be pricey and not terribly interesting or nice. One of them appears to be a former KOA that is run down and rather expensive. Dry camping in the Expo parking lot would work for us, however best I can tell that will not be allowed.

During our stay we may have a day or two of free time so any suggestions of "need to see" in Kansas we would welcome the suggestions. My son (10 years) and I prefer outdoor activities, hiking, bicycling, historical or natures wonders.

Your guidance is welcomed

Clover & her pup

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#2 baron100

baron100
  • Casita Club Member
  • 105 posts
  • Local time: 06:23 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:SD 17

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:02 PM

My preference would be Eldorado State Park.

Favorite campgrounds are:

Bluestem Point area is on a point with scenic views of the lake..

Walnut River area is below the dam in with a lot of mature trees for shade.

The Lake Afton County Park is a pleasant place to stay and would be nearest to Century II. Services available in nearby Goddard, Ks. It has an observatory nearby
http://www.sedgwickc...ton/camping.asp

Safe Travels,

We have a trip scheduled for the end of October to Wichita, KS. We will be there around Oct 26-31. We are looking for camping suggestions as well as places to avoid. My son shows fancy rabbits and has qualified to compete in several events with the Texas State Youth Team. We will be spending a good part of most days at the Century II Performance & Expo center. We would prefer a state park. It appears the two closest parks are in Cheney and El Dorado both are approximately 30 miles away. Several RV parks have been suggested to participants and from what I can see online they look to be pricey and not terribly interesting or nice. One of them appears to be a former KOA that is run down and rather expensive. Dry camping in the Expo parking lot would work for us, however best I can tell that will not be allowed.

During our stay we may have a day or two of free time so any suggestions of "need to see" in Kansas we would welcome the suggestions. My son (10 years) and I prefer outdoor activities, hiking, bicycling, historical or natures wonders.

Your guidance is welcomed

Clover & her pup

#3 clover

clover
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,346 posts
  • Local time: 07:23 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:54 PM

Baron

Thank you for your input. Lake Afton looks like a good alternative and as you point out closer.

Clover

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)