3 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Kole

Phil Kole
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 04:56 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe / 17'

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:27 PM

I purchased a 2000 SD about six months ago. What's the best products to use on the outside body to keep it looking great. Car wax? A clear poly-sealant ? Is it ok to use a rubbing compound on it? I'm seeing some dark weather streaks starting to pop up.

#2 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,320 posts
  • Local time: 01:56 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:23 PM

I purchased a 2000 SD about six months ago. What's the best products to use on the outside body to keep it looking great. Car wax? A clear poly-sealant ? Is it ok to use a rubbing compound on it? I'm seeing some dark weather streaks starting to pop up.

If you go onto the main forum, you'll find that a lot of folks use boat wax. I think first you have to clean the Casita and then wax it.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#3 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,598 posts
  • Local time: 03:56 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:43 PM

You will want to go to www.casitaforum.com or www.fiberglassrv.com and do a key word search for Red Max Pro #3 or (RMP) it is made by Zep. It is a floor finish. All of the past information will talk about Red Max Pro however only recently the product has been rebranded by Zep and is now Commercial Floor Finish Wet look. Here is what it use to look like and what it looks like now.
http://www.lowes.com...oductId=3024836

http://www.lowes.com...ollow&cId=PDIO1

You can purchase it at Lowe's or Home Depot. Preparation is very important. Many use Bar Keeper Friend to get off all of the stains, dead bugs, etc. It is not hard to do, it is a little bit time consuming but worth the effort. I did it to our 2003 SD almost 3 years ago and it still looks like it came off the show room floor. I also just completed a 2000 SD for a friend, it sat in a pasture for 4 years and looked like an absolute pig, it is show room shinny today. Some have used Poly glo a finish used on boats, a bit more expensive and a little hard to find. It is said to have some UV protection. On each Casita I used less than a third of a gallon. It won't start looking good until about the third or fourth coat.

It has been well documented on the forums listed. Read thru them carefully and it will turn our great.

Clover
  • partslady9 likes this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#4 Phil Kole

Phil Kole
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 04:56 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe / 17'

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:12 AM

Thanks for the tips. I gave it a good once over with a car wash / wax before we came up to St. Augustine for the Labor Day week end. I'll detail it out when we get back. Love our SD. Have a great holiday.