20 replies to this topic

#16 Muttley

Muttley
  • Casita Club Member
  • 896 posts
  • Local time: 04:51 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 17SD

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:59 PM

I would leave the generator home before I would leave the spare tire home.

On one trip we had 3 blow-outs in 2 days in rural southern Utah. This was on a tandem axle stick built that was a year and a half old.

Another time we had a blow-out on I-8. Nobody in Yuma had a tire that size. There are no sizable towns anywhere near Yuma.

A different time we had a puncture that went flat while sitting in a campground. We were able to get it repaired when we got to Mazatlan, many kilometers south of where the flat occurred.

We never leave home without a spare. I had spare tires on my boat trailers when we lived back east.
2002 SD 17 'Tinker Toy'
2010 Nissan Xterra

#17 Chickadee

Chickadee
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 125 posts
  • Local time: 05:51 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe 17, WREN
  • Interests:Birding, hiking, exploring, reading. Snowbird...winter in the south.

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:03 AM

Maybe we're pushing the odds,

Before you decide, you might be interested in some of the owners comments which have been moved to their own 'tire forum'.

http://www.casitaclu...2-tire-reports/

....or if you don't have the time for that much reading......

Don't leave home without a spare! :P

With all you Casita spare tire haulers all over the country, maybe we could just borrow one if we need one... :P

#18 Eggshell jr

Eggshell jr
  • Casita Club Member
  • 87 posts
  • Local time: 06:51 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe 17

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:49 AM

Baron 100,
.. Thanks for the reply. I've been looking for an answer, but as you said "Depends on who you talk to". I don't think any answers are wrong, I'm just trying to get a consensus. I take the sidewall psi and reduce it by 10%, .. this is supposed to be the ideal psi for a tire. Weight being carried is a factor and if I need maximum carrying capacity, I would go higher. I don't load my Cassie to the max, so 72 psi is my target psi. 80 psi will jar my teeth fillings out and make the Cassie bounce around way too much.

Eggshell

#19 Chickadee

Chickadee
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Birding, hiking, exploring, reading. Snowbird...winter in the south.

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:56 AM

I would leave the generator home before I would leave the spare tire home.

On one trip we had 3 blow-outs in 2 days in rural southern Utah. This was on a tandem axle stick built that was a year and a half old.

Another time we had a blow-out on I-8. Nobody in Yuma had a tire that size. There are no sizable towns anywhere near Yuma.

A different time we had a puncture that went flat while sitting in a campground. We were able to get it repaired when we got to Mazatlan, many kilometers south of where the flat occurred.

We never leave home without a spare. I had spare tires on my boat trailers when we lived back east.

Where's your sense of adventure?! :P

#20 Chickadee

Chickadee
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:58 AM

Evidently some car manufacturers don't even offer spare tires as an option since tires are so reliable these days.

#21 Muttley

Muttley
  • Casita Club Member
  • 896 posts
  • Local time: 04:51 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 17SD

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:07 PM

Evidently some car manufacturers don't even offer spare tires as an option since tires are so reliable these days.

I wouldn't own a car that didn't have a full grown spare. Stuck on the side of the road truly sucks.
2002 SD 17 'Tinker Toy'
2010 Nissan Xterra