• Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Local time: 09:23 PM
  • Interests:Member Since
    Jan 21 2005
  • Trailer Name:AZ Snowball

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:37 AM

Here's another tire failure story,
Bobinyelm recently had two tires let go within a few minutes of each other and now the same has happened to me......

I have the lighter 16' model and I am always concerned about tires so i purchased a TSP Tire monitoring system for peace of mind. I also don't exceed 63 mph and keep tires inflated to their max..... I initially had a set of Kumho's on about three years old,everything was fine on the monitoring system and all of a sudden "Boom" being stuck on the road i found a discount tire place and all they had in stock was 14" towmasters (that was last July 2011) and i installed two. Now this July 4th (one year later) one of those tires popped about a 6" section of tread on the outer sidewall section so i put the spare on and look at the tire on the other side and there's a large bubble on the sidewall where the tread meets..... Again I'm stuck on the road and forced to buy whatever is at hand and being a holiday only wal mart was open and all they have is goodyear marathons so on they go and i finish the trip from Pa to AZ.

Upon looking at the damaged area of the towmaster you can plainly see that the tread separated at the sidewall in about a six inch section and the rest of the tire is in great shape so now i am leaning towards (but not sure) that while my trailer sits for many months on a garage floor maybe the steel belts are getting damaged where it sits at the floor and develops a so called "Flat Spot" and just maybe raising the tire up off the floor may help the situation?____

Does anyone out here do that?______

If you did do you still have tire problems?______

The reason most utility trailer don't suffer this fate i believe is because they sit empty when not in use and don't get the flat spot as easy.............
I know i should get better tires and i know all the recommendations but i keep getting stuck on the road and have to buy whatever is available and casita still uses marathons and to add to it I only have a Lighter 16' Model??
I'm sorry for the long story and another tire problem....... three tires in one year is getting to me.
Joe

Edited by Joe Z, 09 July 2012 - 07:03 AM.

• Wally Z likes this

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#2 Dann and Karan

Dann and Karan
  • Casita Club Member
  • 244 posts
  • Local time: 11:23 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe- 16'

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:42 PM

Hi Joe,
We have a 2007, 16 Freedom Deluxe. We keep it garaged when not in use but we pull it out of the garage on the average of once a month.
We also have it sitting on a small square of 1/4 inch wood. I read that here before we picked our trailer. We have not had any tire
problems. I hope this helps you.

Dann and Karan
Irving, Texas
16' FD, 2007-Snowball
Tow car- 1995 Volvo
Tubo Sadan.

#3 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
    Jan 21 2005

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:20 PM

It does help...... taking it out of the garage once a month puts the tire in a different position when parked again.... the piece of wood may help too.
thanks,
Joe

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#4 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 08:23 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:15 PM

My understanding about trailer tires is that the best thing you can do for them is travel frequently so they're rolling.

In my early days on this forum, I also read that putting down the stabilizers while the trailer is stored also helps take off some pressure off the tires. Not certain if that really does help, but I do it anyway.

Eileen
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#5 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
    Jan 21 2005

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:14 AM

Eileen,
I think you have something there. You travel much and i can't ever recall a time i've heard of you having tire problems and using the stabilizers has to help. :)
Joe

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#6 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:49 AM

Joe --

Actually, I just cancelled my five day trip scheduled over the 4th of July weekend. When I inspected my 14" Kumhos, the passenger side, which gets more sun, showed signs of sidewall cracks. I thought about running them by Discount or BigO to get their opinion on whether the trip could still happen, but then I checked my Casita receipts and I was surprised to discover that the two tires on the ground were four years old. Since I'd read too many horror stories about sidewall blowouts, combined with knowing that the temperature along my route would average 106, I decided to postpone. Adding to that was the fact that my spare is still the original Goodyear Explodathon! Even though I've never had to use it, I knew that it had the potential to NOT be dependable, even though it 'looks good.'

Next week, all three will be replaced with 14" Kumhos again, I've already ordered tire covers (2 for $20 from Walmart) to keep the on-the-ground tires covered when in storage (they sit on pea gravel). Regardless, four years is the absolute maximum time limit for me, especially since I travel solo and on some very desolate Arizona roads with no cell coverage.

Hope you and Lin are enjoying a safe trip back to AZ.

Eileen
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#7 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
    Jan 21 2005

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:47 PM

We're back now getting prepared for the rest of the family in about 15 days but i brought my two defective towmasters back to discount tire today and being they had road hazard coverage they gave me a full 100% refund whoo hoo :dncinban: I spoke with the manager and he told me that the towmasters where having many reports of ply separation and they where giving up on them. they have two ply sidewalls...... I asked him about my exploadathons that i got from wal mart and said they where a little better with 4 ply sidewalls but that the old carlisles that gave a lot of trouble have now just recently come out with a new 6 ply sidewall and have been doing a lot of testing with them and so far so good but being i just bought the marathons i will have to run them til they explode.
Sorry you had to postpone your trip and will get back on the road soon but four cross country trips for me since this January is enough for me...... I need a break and trailer is parked for a while :D
Joe

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#8 Chace

Chace
  • Casita Club Member
  • 25 posts
  • Local time: 11:23 PM

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:54 AM

I have 14 inch 195 Kumho tires that are 4 years old now, but I plan to keep running them. I store my Casita inside (so there is no sun exposure) and I always store it on jack stands so there is no weight on the tires while in storage. My tires have around 20,000 miles and still look like new. I run them at 65 psi with the stock Casita wheels.

Hope this helps.

Steve

#9 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
    Jan 21 2005

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:03 AM

Steve.....
I'm doing the same thing now, stored in the garage and just started putting the trailer on jack stands. I think there's something to that because you don't hear much about tow vehicle tires blowing out with LT tires and that could be because it is always rolling day to day and never gets a chance to sit still and get flat spots.... some trailers use the same LT tires on their trailers too and they still get blowouts so fingers crossed.
Joe

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#10 TumaloTed

TumaloTed
  • Casita Club Member
  • 25 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2016 17 Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:2012 Toyota Highlander
    2011 Jayco Eagle 28ft. TT
    2010 Chevy 2500 Silverado
    Member: Good Sam, Escapees, Elks
    Winters spent at jojobohills.com

Posted 04 September 2016 - 07:23 AM

FWIW,  have attended a number of tire seminars at the Good Sam & Escapee RV club Natl. rallys (highly recommended for all RVers!).   Tires have chemicals in them to protect against ozone,  and ST tires have more of that chemical.  Those chemicals work best if the tire is used/flexed,  and are less likely to leach out if NOT stored on the ground or concrete, best on plastic or wood.  Also best if weight removed as much as possible on tires when stored,  OR over-inflate by 20% for storage,  not to exceed the psi rating of the wheel  (though probably ok during storage).   We get about 30,000 miles on our Goodyear ST  marathons  and have never had a problem.  I do put down the stabilizers when stored,  and tires are on plywood,  and we use TPMS tire sensors on all 4 tires.  YMMV!
T

• Wally Z likes this

#11 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 05 September 2016 - 12:45 PM

These may help some understand tires and maintenance.

Edited by Wally Z, 05 September 2016 - 12:55 PM.

• Linda & Bob, K4TAX and Eddie B like this

2014 17' Casita SD