69 replies to this topic

#1 shen2000

shen2000
  • Casita Club Member
  • 60 posts
  • Local time: 11:34 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Luxury Traveler '91/13 '

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:03 AM

We're having a problem using our new Honda EU2000 to run our air conditioner. It runs for awhile but then cuts off (red light comes on). We believe it must be when the compressor in the air conditioner unit kicks in (may involve some kind of start-up surge but we don't know). Seems like it runs longest without kicking off the lower we set the air conditioner. If we set it way down to "3" level, it seems to run longer. Anyone have any idea of what we need to do. The air conditioner is about a 5900 BTU and 6.7 Amp unit.

#2 chino

chino
  • Casita Club Member
  • 22 posts
  • Local time: 08:34 PM

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:03 PM

Make sure all of your other power users are off or set to propane. I have to turn my converter off and refer to propane to get mine to start. Outside temperature and elevation play a big role on if an AC unit will work off a generator. Chino

#3 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,624 posts
  • Local time: 09:34 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Casita SD 17'

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:24 PM

Instead of hooking my Honda 2000 to the converter I just run a short 10 foot extension cord directly to the air conditioner which is just below the closet up front. If you have roof air do like the previous poster stated and be sure to turn off all AC electrical draw, especially electric hot water heater......also don't use the microwave while on.
Joe

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#4 shen2000

shen2000
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:00 AM

Thanks everyone. We've determined that if we put the choke on about 60% and leave it there, that keeps the generator running. So believe that's the solution. Welcome any other comments. We do have everything else turned off or on LP. Appreciate the advice.

#5 star gazer

star gazer
  • Casita Club Member
  • 58 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2006 17' Freedom Deluxe
  • Interests:Astronomy, traveling, boating, golf, etc.

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:39 AM

Thanks everyone. We've determined that if we put the choke on about 60% and leave it there, that keeps the generator running. So believe that's the solution. Welcome any other comments. We do have everything else turned off or on LP. Appreciate the advice.

Sounds like your carb is dirty. If you get on line a do a search for cleaning it, you will find it is very easy. Mine did exactly what yours is doing, which is not good. Or at least try some Sea Foam fuel treatment as it will help clean out some of the gunk. I now run my empty before storing it for prolonged periods of time.

And mine runs my AC with converter going just fine, but nothing else.

Dean

Here is a great thread with pics on how to clean yours;
http://forums.woodal.../pging/1/page/1

Edited by star gazer, 30 June 2012 - 05:41 AM.

#6 shen2000

shen2000
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:43 AM

Awesome, Thank you Dean!!!

Sounds like your carb is dirty. If you get on line a do a search for cleaning it, you will find it is very easy. Mine did exactly what yours is doing, which is not good. Or at least try some Sea Foam fuel treatment as it will help clean out some of the gunk. I now run my empty before storing it for prolonged periods of time.

Dean

#7 shen2000

shen2000
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:45 AM

Dean

#8 KevinB

KevinB
  • Casita Club Member
  • 20 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:16' Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Camping, Trailer Mods, Ham Radio. Getting away from work.

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:50 PM

We're having a problem using our new Honda EU2000 to run our air conditioner. It runs for awhile but then cuts off (red light comes on). We believe it must be when the compressor in the air conditioner unit kicks in (may involve some kind of start-up surge but we don't know). Seems like it runs longest without kicking off the lower we set the air conditioner. If we set it way down to "3" level, it seems to run longer. Anyone have any idea of what we need to do. The air conditioner is about a 5900 BTU and 6.7 Amp unit.

With a a little calculations from Ohm's Law, you are correct...Your Honda gen is probably the problem...Your demand is 1729 watts non surge and your gen is only able to put out 1600 watts non surge..When its running, its running on the high side of its limits. When the A/C kicks in, the surge is what's taking it offline. Try taking everything else offline, to help with the surge or get a slightly larger gen...
I'm new to trailering but having a dandy time, so far! :-)

#9 KevinB

KevinB
  • Casita Club Member
  • 20 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:16' Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Camping, Trailer Mods, Ham Radio. Getting away from work.

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:39 PM

I've been looking at a Dometic LW-3000p..It has 2800 watts of power, is cheaper than the Honda's and from the reviews I've seen is the perfect selection for a Casita...Online, typically $750-850 online...Beats the heck out of a thousand or more...
I'm new to trailering but having a dandy time, so far! :-)

#10 shen2000

shen2000
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:47 AM

With a a little calculations from Ohm's Law, you are correct...Your Honda gen is probably the problem...Your demand is 1729 watts non surge and your gen is only able to put out 1600 watts non surge..When its running, its running on the high side of its limits. When the A/C kicks in, the surge is what's taking it offline. Try taking everything else offline, to help with the surge or get a slightly larger gen...

Thanks! Have turned off everything else and with choke aboove mid-way it keeps running. Don't really wanta invest more money in generator. Just paid over #1000 for this one. :)

#11 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:39 AM

Glad to hear you got it running but if you have any further problems Larry and Debbie Gamble on this forum operate a casita store called "Little House Customs" and they have an item there that many use called a "Hard Start Capacitor" which is a fairly easy installation for someone with a little handy experience.
Joe

Scroll down to it
http://www.littlehou...stoms.com/store

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#12 shen2000

shen2000
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:43 AM

Glad to hear you got it running but if you have any further problems Larry and Debbie Gamble on this forum operate a casita store called "Little House Customs" and they have an item there that many use called a "Hard Start Capacitor" which is a fairly easy installation for someone with a little handy experience.
Joe

Scroll down to it
http://www.littlehou...stoms.com/store

#13 shen2000

shen2000
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:45 AM

Thank you, Joe!! Regretfully, I'm not "really handy," but will check it out. Assume it's to smooth out the "surges" in the generator operation as compressor comes on to cool the air?

#14 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:57 AM

Thank you, Joe!! Regretfully, I'm not "really handy," but will check it out. Assume it's to smooth out the "surges" in the generator operation as compressor comes on to cool the air?

yes...... that's what it does and everyone that uses one really likes it. My 8000 btu LG ac/honda 2000i work fine without it.
Joe

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#15 shen2000

shen2000
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:00 AM

yes...... that's what it does and everyone that uses one really likes it. My 8000 btu LG ac/honda 2000i work fine without it.
Joe