• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Clearcut

Clearcut
  • Casita Club Member
  • 38 posts
  • Local time: 11:29 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2012 17 SD
  • Interests:Flying and restoring old airplanes.

Pacific coast maritime history.

Dodging bad weather and grumpy people.

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:49 PM

I recently ordered a new SD17...the deposit has been mailed and the check cashed. An information packet from Casita arrived today and in with all the other stuff was a notesaying that I had to agree to take delivery of the trailer even if there was minor damage caused by or to the vinyl flooring.

I'm puzzled. When I phoned my order in nothing was said about this. I'm also wondering just how Casita defines "minor damage".

I still plan on getting the trailer and I still think that they're a good rig for the money. But, for the life of me, I've never seen a sale predicated on accepting minor damage.

Has anyone had this experience? If there was damage, how bad was it? Did Casita make any attempt to rectify the situation?

I'll be calling Casita first thing Monday morning but I thought maybe some of the membership here could give me some information in the meantime.

Thanks. Bob

Edited by Clearcut, 23 June 2012 - 03:51 PM.

Semi retired...life is good.

#2 Us burros

Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,212 posts
  • Local time: 02:29 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit 17'
  • Interests:Woodworking, photography, birding & travel
  • Casita Club Directory #:1830

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:07 PM

This concern comes up often. HERE is a five year old thread on the subject. A forum search using different terms would probably hit on several more discussions. I do not think you would find any posters stating they wish they hadn't signed the wavier because the vinyl was damaged so much when they picked up their trailer they wouldn't have accepted it.

I'm sure that if we had ordered vinyl I would have had the same concern.

Harold.

#3 Bobinyelm

Bobinyelm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,237 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:53 PM

Few things in life are perfect, but when Casita buyers plunk down the princely sum equivalent to buying a ultra luxury car (a loaded Kia Rio hatchback), they can suddenly be very demanding and expect absolute perfection. It's roughly the equivalent of going to a Ryan's Buffet and paying $9.95 for an all-you-can-stuff-into-your-face dinner, and complaining that your cooked-to-order steak isn't as good as the $54 one you had at a Ruth Cris Steak House, and demanding another steak, or your money back. Good luck with THAT!

Rather than get some PITA buyer insisting that Casita make vinyl perfect, it's just easier to say, "Hey, if you want vinyl, we'll do it, but we're warning you it may not be perfect, so please sign this statement acknowledging that we try hard, but we're not gonna' promise perfection."

I suspect they've never turned out a bad vinyl floor, but this ensures a buyer can't hold them hostage to over inflated expectations of perfection.
I further suspect they make buyers sign the statement from unfortunate experiences.

Bob

#4 watraveler

watraveler
  • Casita Club Member
  • 311 posts
  • Local time: 12:29 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Sprit Deluxe
  • Interests:Vintage postcard collecting, antiques, fly fishing, camping, photography.

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:30 PM

Bob,
We had the vinyl floor installed and we too were a little off put by the warning, so we asked our salesman, Jonathan. He explained that the vinyl shows minor damage much more so than carpeting. He explained the floor, either carpet or vinyl is installed first, then all the cabinets and so forth which leaves the flooring vulnerable. When we took delivery we were pleasantly surprised to see no damage, though we didn't get down on our hands and knees looking with a magnifying glass. We also had zero defects in our trailer, which was a good thing because our first night was about 200 miles away from the factory. They do an amazing job putting those trailers together and work hard to make sure you will find nothing wrong.
Ed (watraveler)

I recently ordered a new SD17...the deposit has been mailed and the check cashed. An information packet from Casita arrived today and in with all the other stuff was a notesaying that I had to agree to take delivery of the trailer even if there was minor damage caused by or to the vinyl flooring.

I'm puzzled. When I phoned my order in nothing was said about this. I'm also wondering just how Casita defines "minor damage".

I still plan on getting the trailer and I still think that they're a good rig for the money. But, for the life of me, I've never seen a sale predicated on accepting minor damage.

Has anyone had this experience? If there was damage, how bad was it? Did Casita make any attempt to rectify the situation?

I'll be calling Casita first thing Monday morning but I thought maybe some of the membership here could give me some information in the meantime.

Thanks. Bob

#5 Clearcut

Clearcut
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:22 PM

Thanks everybody, with the definite exception of Bobinyelm, for the advice. I hadn't heard anything bad about Casita but the idea of signing a waiver that I'd accept damage threw me a little.

I read back through the old posts that Harold suggested and everything points to Casita doing the best they can for the customer.

And Bobinyelm? Save your preaching, your sarcasm, and your holier than thou attitude for somebody who might be impressed by it. I sure wasn't.

#6 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 2,430 posts
  • Local time: 12:29 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:50 PM

I have read that the reason Casita asks for the waiver is because the flooring goes in first, then the cabinets, and bathroom and closet walls are installed on top of the vinyl. Even though only a fraction of the vinyl flooring shows, what if there were a tiny bit of damage? I'm sure there are products used to repair minor damage but some buyer's might demand the impossible, an entirely new floor.

We have the vinyl and it was in perfect shape. I don't recall ever seeing a complaint about damage on a new Casita. And I doubt they would present a new owner with a Casita that was badly damaged.
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#7 Clearcut

Clearcut
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:32 AM

I have read that the reason Casita asks for the waiver is because the flooring goes in first, then the cabinets, and bathroom and closet walls are installed on top of the vinyl. Even though only a fraction of the vinyl flooring shows, what if there were a tiny bit of damage? I'm sure there are products used to repair minor damage but some buyer's might demand the impossible, an entirely new floor.

We have the vinyl and it was in perfect shape. I don't recall ever seeing a complaint about damage on a new Casita. And I doubt they would present a new owner with a Casita that was badly damaged.

That makes sense. Thanks, Carol.

#8 schatzie

schatzie
  • Casita Club Member
  • 170 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' SD

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:47 PM

We were also skeptical about signing the waiver regarding the vinyl flooring. Upon picking up our Casita from Rice, we were relieved to find no problem with the flooring. We had no problems with anything else regarding the Casita either. Have faith in the company. They need to make a good product because every trailer out the door is a possible demo which will be shown to interested buyers in your area. We wish all sellers would be as honest, friendly, and professional as the good folks at Casita are.

Bob & Ginny

Edited by schatzie, 24 June 2012 - 05:48 PM.

Bob & Ginny Schattschneider
South Milwaukee, WI.
2009 Casita 17' SD
2004 Ford F-150 FX4