Gray Water Tank Sight Guage

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Chris C

Chris C
  • Casita Club Member
  • 962 posts
  • Local time: 11:15 PM
  • Interests:Custom Furniture builder. Photography. Paragliding. Camping. Llamas. Really living life! (on and on and on and on!)

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:07 PM

Has anyone installed a sight gauge on their gray water tank? I've been doing a lot of dry camping recently and the only thing that causes a problem is not knowing when the gray water tank is full................other than standing ankle deep in water in the shower! :rofl: I'm thinking a sight gauge on the side of the tank would be very useful.

Oh, and I might add, I've done a search already and found what is available on the forum. One real solution, but not sure how it worked out in the long haul.

Edited by Chris C, 21 May 2012 - 06:42 AM.

Chris
2006 17' Spirit Deluxe pulled with a White 2008 Honda Ridgeline RTS.

I'm a HOST, so if you're coming through Norman, OK, give me a call!

Visit My Website

#2 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 661 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:58 AM

Has anyone installed a sight gauge on their gray water tank? I've been doing a lot of dry camping recently and the only thing that causes a problem is not knowing when the gray water tank is full................other than standing ankle deep in water in the shower! :rofl: I'm thinking a sight gauge on the side of the tank would be very useful.

Oh, and I might add, I've done a search already and found what is available on the forum. One real solution, but not sure how it worked out in the long haul.

I don't have a sight guage but we are set up to have some idea when we are getting close to needing a why to get rid of the gray water. As we increased the time we spent dry camping we needed greater gray water capacity. It seemed it was me that always ended ankle deep in the shower and not my son. I did the gray water tank vent upgrade with a little twist. Instead of connecting to the bathroom vent tube under the camper, I brought the plastic tubing I was using forward exiting up and behind the propane tank cover. I mounted an attachment on the steel tongue just behind the propane tank covers. I put a ball valve on the end of that vent tube. I keep the ball valve closed until we have water coming up through the shower. I then go open the ball valve, thus venting the gray tank, knowing in the next couple of days I will have to seek a dump station or some means of offloading the gray water.

By venting the gray tank we got 30-40% more capacity. How I came up with that figure is thus. I closed the ball valve turned the water on at a set flow rate then timed how long it took to start having water back up thru the shower drain. I then went outside, opened the ball valve (thus venting the gray tank and hearing a couple of pretty obvious "glub glub" sounds as it opened) then timed how long it took to once again have water backing up into the shower and thus totally out of capacity. I did this timed procedure 3 times to come up with my rough estimate of how much more capacity I had obtained with the vent mod.

Hope that is not too confusing

Happy Trails!

Clover
Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2003 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#3 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 962 posts
  • Interests:Custom Furniture builder. Photography. Paragliding. Camping. Llamas. Really living life! (on and on and on and on!)

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:52 PM

Thanks, Clover. No, that's not really confusing. But I want a sight glass so I can actually see when the tank is ready to refuse one more shower! :lol2:
Chris

Visit My Website

#4 Us burros

Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,213 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit 17'
  • Interests:Woodworking, photography, birding & travel
  • Casita Club Directory #:1830

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:32 PM

Thanks, Clover. No, that's not really confusing. But I want a sight glass so I can actually see when the tank is ready to refuse one more shower! :lol2:

Put "sight gauge" in the search box above and make sure Forums is chosen. You'll get results. When I did it, on the lower part of the page it seemed to get into what you want.

Harold

#5 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 962 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:40 PM

Thanks, Harold. As I mentioned in my first post, I did the search and found the posts that Alan made. (which is what I'm assuming you were referring to.) His mod was made in 2003 and I have no idea how well it has worked over the years. Frankly, I'm skeptical.
Chris

Visit My Website

#6 Us burros

Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,213 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit 17'
  • Interests:Woodworking, photography, birding & travel
  • Casita Club Directory #:1830

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:16 PM

Thanks, Harold. As I mentioned in my first post, I did the search and found the posts that Alan made. (which is what I'm assuming you were referring to.) His mod was made in 2003 and I have no idea how well it has worked over the years. Frankly, I'm skeptical.

Well, take a look at THIS one. It looks simpler.

#7 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 962 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:38 PM

I looked at it and have to agree...........until the original poster added later it was a disappointment. But I think he ended up doing basically what I did with my fresh water tank sight gauge.............which was to install a tube low and extend the top of the tube above the tank and leave a small opening so air could escape. Looks as it I'll just do the same with the gray water tank. Thanks for the link.
Chris

Visit My Website

#8 WaltP

WaltP
  • Casita Club Member
  • 111 posts
  • Local time: 12:15 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' BigFoot, 2002

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:41 AM

Clover:
Yours may not be as accurate or direct as some want, but I think it's very imaginative and obviously meets your needs. Well done.

Walt

#9 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 661 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:09 AM

Clover:
Yours may not be as accurate or direct as some want, but I think it's very imaginative and obviously meets your needs. Well done.

Walt

Walt

After reading other responses on this post. I guess our modification is a large diameter "sight tube" with a ball valve at the end of it.

Clover
Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2003 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)