• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,114 posts
  • Local time: 07:13 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:25 PM

When we started thinking about the twin bed mod, there were 3 things we especially wanted to accomplish.
1. To widen the twin beds without adding much weight.
2. To keep the King bed option.
3. Comfort - the cushion cording, around the edges, had to be placed where it would not be uncomfortable.

To accomplish these goals, we found it was necessary to resize all the cushions. They are 6 inches thick, made of 4" firm density foam with 2" medium density foam glued to the top. A personal choice we find to be very comfortable.

DAY USE
TwinBedMod-1.jpg TwinBedMod-2.jpg

The table is about 23 X 31". It can be set up at the rear of the aisle or nearer the kitchen. Sometimes it is left stored under the rear seat. All of the seat cushions are 25' deep. During the day the thick filler cushions stack under the rear window, with the sleeping bag sacks. And thin filler cushions stack behind our pillows at the foot of the beds. You can see the fillers peeking out from behind the pillows.

TwinBedMod-4.jpg

For each bed there are 2 seat cushions (1 long, 1 short), 1 back cushion, two 3" thick fillers and two 5" thick fillers.

NIGHT USE
TwinBedMod-3.jpg

The “mattress” cushions are moved about 5" into the aisle with two 5" filler cushions placed in the gap against the wall. It isn’t necessary to fill the entire gap, we couldn’t fall in there if we tried. The “mattress” overhang in the aisle is supported by the back cushion on top of the two 3" fillers.
  • Lanns and elaine and ray in ohio like this
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#2 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Topic Starter
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,114 posts
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:32 PM

SETTING UP THE BEDS

TWINS
A solid piece of white vinyl was cut in a "U"-shape with the bottom of the "U" about 24" deep, and placed under the mattress cushion. The arms of the "U" are folded back under the cushion during the day. To set up the twin beds, the arms of the "U" are pulled out, (the wider bottom of the "U" stays anchored under the mattress). Then the thin filler cushions are placed on each arm and the back cushion is placed on top of them. Now the support for the mattress is the same height as the seat bench. Time to pull the "mattress" cushions out 5" from the wall to rest on the support. The remaining part of the vinyl arms are pulled up and anchored under the "mattress" cushions. All that is left is to put the sleeping bags and pillows in place. Sounds like a lot of steps but it's really quick & easy to set-up and take-down.

TwinBedMod-6.jpg TwinBedMod-7.jpg TwinBedMod-8.jpg

TwinBedMod-5.jpg
The two 5" fillers in the gap by the wall.
  • Rob and Laura likes this
Carol Christensen

#3 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Topic Starter
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:36 PM

reposted below
Carol Christensen

#4 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Topic Starter
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:56 PM

KING BED

Attached Thumbnails

• KingBedCushions.jpg
  • LD New Cushions - King.jpg

Carol Christensen

#5 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Topic Starter
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:10 PM

At night with the beds set up. the rear cushion (between the beds during the day) and the table needed a place to spend the night. We hadn’t worked out just where that would be until our first night out. It was just dumb luck that the rear cushion fits perfectly on top of the fridge. The table is out of the way by the door.

STORAGE
TwinBedMod-9.jpg TwinBedMod-10.jpg
Carol Christensen

#6 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Topic Starter
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:49 PM

duplicate post
Carol Christensen

#7 CenGA

CenGA
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:LD 16
  • Interests:Being a New Bee with Honey Bee. Faith and family. Encouraging those in crisis and conflict. Reading.
    Supporting caregivers. Bible study/teaching.

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

My wife and I are the very pleased owners of our very first Casita, a 16' LD, which we are to pick up about six hours away in a few days. This will be quite an experiment--I am size 26' fifth wheel, and wife is, well, wife is...you know I can't tell you that! We scoured the land for a Spirit, our first choice (we think), but this LD 16' is a gem as is the owner, age 83, widowed since March '12. She and her man were married SIXTY YEARS! Maybe this LD will last us 13 and then we'll be there. Anyway, all this to say Carol's pics are very helpful. I look forward to calling them to the attention of my wife, which I am about to do. Thanks, Carol. Thanks Eric, for a great place to be! --Dan, Central Georgia (CenGA)

#8 stairman

stairman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 109 posts
  • Local time: 11:13 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:99 spirit deluxe 17'
  • Interests:camping, kayaking, deer hunting, scuba diving[full cave certified] guitar, wilderness survival instructor

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:25 AM

It appears to me that the wife and I could sleep quite nicely on the bed pictured, and if our grandaughter camped with us, all three of us could fit with me in the middle due to my nightly potty break. Heads could probably face front or back, whichever feels right. I think, like many, a Spirit would be best since its mainly the wife and I, we could leave the back bed down and eat on the side dinette, and if the grandaughter did go, she would have her own bed. We usually eat outside at the picknic table but sometimes its raining or flys are trying to land on my dinner which then we'd eat inside.

#9 Lanns

Lanns
  • Casita Club Member
  • 16 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty Delux
  • Interests:Hiking, Skiing, Art Quilting, Biking, Travel

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:36 AM

Carol, Considering I haven't had the opportunity to see the liberty all the post of all the ideas become a little over whelming.
Your photos are great and I love what you have done. Did you have all the cushions replaced and did you have Casita make them? I have not purchase one yet and was considering buying the thicker cushions. This is a big purchase for us and it seems like there are so many things that have to be done after purchasing one. I appreciate your input. Laurie

#10 fella10

fella10
  • Casita Club Member
  • 430 posts
  • Local time: 10:13 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:SD 17'

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:01 AM

Lauri, if you are considering modifying the twin beds after purchase,....new this year Casita is selling the "Independence", same as the Liberty, but with permanent 30" twin beds

#11 Babs&Chris

Babs&Chris
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17SD
  • Interests:Cycling, hiking, paddling, history

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:04 AM

Lanns--fret not! A Casita is 100% usable right out of the factory door. Some folks never change anything. So pick your floor plan and take your time customizing it as you use it. Something that you think you may want to do may turn out to be unnecessary after you have tried it "as is" --or you may see a better idea a little later. The main thing is to try to actually see some Casitas. Stand in one, walk in one, move around with your significant other in one. Contact Casita Enterprises and get a referral. It is going to be fairly easy to see a Liberty, but this is the first year for the Independence (the wider twin-bed model) so seeing one of those without going to the factory will be difficult.

Edited by Babs&Chris, 22 August 2013 - 10:18 AM.

#12 Lanns

Lanns
  • Casita Club Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:21 AM

Lanns--fret not! A Casita is 100% usable right out of the factory door. Some folks never change anything. So pick your floor plan and take your time customizing it as you use it. Something that you think you may want to do may turn out to be unnecessary after you have tried it "as is" --or you may see a better idea a little later. The main thing is to try to actually see some Casitas. Stand in one, walk in one, move around with your significant other in one. Contact Casita Enterprises and get a referral. It is going to be fairly easy to see a Liberty, but this is the first year for the Independence (the wider twin-bed model) so seeing one of those without going to the factory will be difficult.

#13 Lanns

Lanns
  • Casita Club Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:27 AM

Thanks for your posts above.
I learned about the Independence from this site. Casita doesn't show any photos. I am wondering if the smaller floor space seems crowded. I will be traveling with my spouse and 2 -45 pound dogs. Also when you set up the dinnett you will be sitting farther away from the back of the trailer. Guess you could add pillows for support. The liberty or independence style I think will work best for us.

#14 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,374 posts
  • Local time: 09:13 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:49 PM

Thanks for your posts above.
I learned about the Independence from this site. Casita doesn't show any photos. I am wondering if the smaller floor space seems crowded. I will be traveling with my spouse and 2 -45 pound dogs. Also when you set up the dinnett you will be sitting farther away from the back of the trailer. Guess you could add pillows for support. The liberty or independence style I think will work best for us.

http://www.casitafor...475#entry105475

Go to the above link and you can look at a lot of pictures.

IMHO the floor space between the beds in the new independence is way to narrow. I think an average sized adult will have a hard time having enough foot room when sitting at the table. Also the dogs will have a hard time using the space between the beds for a place to lay down. We travel with two small dogs and I think they would be cramped given the narrow isle in the new model.

All of this is just personal preference, others have expressed the same concern. The storage under the platforms for the beds is only accessible by lifting up the cushions/bed.

Clover

Clover

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#15 randynjill

randynjill
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 08:13 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:LD17

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:22 AM

Carol, My husband and I live in your area.  We just purchased a 2014 Liberty Deluxe and were wondering if you could tell us where you had these cushions done? I think that your trailer looks beautiful and that your idea would work for us. Thanks, Jill