• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 762 posts
  • Local time: 11:27 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, blogging, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

Hello, I am a newbie. We just purchased our Casita last month (Mar).
I was surfing on this website and found one man's collection of mods he'd done to his Casita. The one that really caught my eye was that of a screen that he put over the two
circular vents on the outside and on the right (door) side of the trailer. I believe they're air vents for the propane furnace, because the brand name Suburban is on the cover plate.
He'd installed a screen over the vents to keep wasps from entering the vents and building nests.
I have three or four species of wasps in my area, and all of them probably would adore building a nest in the vents. the idea of having a swarm of yellow jackets in my trailer is not something I want to contemplate, never mind suffer.

I would like to install a screen to keep them out.
HOwever, I have no idea if the man who made the mods made the screen himself, and I cannot find that specific post.
Is the screen an aftermarket item? Do I have to remove the metal frame from the trailer (which involves breaking the pop rivets, I think).
Is there a problem with it impeding the air flow into and out of the furnace? If I used aluminum screening, would the screen burn up?

I think the man who posted the photos was named Fred, but I may be wrong. Whatever, if anyone out there can give me advice on this, I would be most appreciative.
Thank you!
The best thing to do on a golf course is a GALLOP!

2011 Toyota Tundra "Big Horse"
2011 17" Spirit Deluxe Casita "Grus Egg"

#2 Us burros

Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,212 posts
  • Local time: 02:27 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit 17'
  • Interests:Woodworking, photography, birding & travel
  • Casita Club Directory #:1830

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:38 PM

You can buy 'em - http://www.pplmotorh...ect-screens.htm

Or you can make something 066 Furnace vent screens.JPG

Harold, not Fred

#3 sparky1

sparky1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 272 posts
  • Local time: 03:27 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:13Ft Patriot Deluxe
  • Interests:camping in something--
    I have a female cat
    good sam lifetimer
  • Casita Club Directory #:2911 virginia

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

The round ones are available at Most RV dealers---tool to install are with it
sparky1 in s.Va

#4 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 762 posts
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, blogging, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

THANK YOU! This is exactly what I saw on Harold's page, and exactly what we want. Thank you!

#5 Lane

Lane

Lane and the Poodle Girl

• Casita Club Member
  • 1,065 posts
  • Local time: 03:27 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Spirit Deluxe, 17
  • Interests:Travel, Photography, Wine, California, Foreign Language - Russian & German
  • Casita Club Directory #:2430

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:44 AM

Bugged?

I was warned about the dreaded Wasp Nest the night after I bought my Casita in 2007. I dashed to the little store at the RV Park and purchased the recommended screen to afix to the outside of my heater vent. It evidently worked as I have noticed no wasps. That particular screen disappeared, as did the replacement screen I bought for nearly $20. I currently use a piece of duct tape over the vent. I have been careful to remove the tape when the heater is in use. I don't know if my expensive little external screens bounced off or were aided in their departure by someone who felt they needed them more than I. As I pointed out to my physician "just because I'm a hypochondriac doesn't meant I'm NOT sick."

The excellent screen placed between the vent cover and the side of the Casita seems to be an excellent, and well documented modification. Once I overcome my Pop Rivet Reluctance (related, I suspect, to my fear of drilling holes in the exterior of the Casita) I will probably attempt to apply such a modification. Until then, I'm sticking (ar, ar) with my duct tape solution.

Lane and Phoebe, the Poodle Girl who, while occasionally waspish, has caused no nest problems.
Ray Lane Aldrich
Lane's Bait Shop at
web.me.com/lanealdrich/Lanes_Bait_Shop
Retired & Loving it
Back in NoVA after the West Coast
2007 17'SD & Navigator

#6 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 762 posts
    Retired US Army

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:04 AM

Bugged?

I was warned about the dreaded Wasp Nest the night after I bought my Casita in 2007. I dashed to the little store at the RV Park and purchased the recommended screen to afix to the outside of my heater vent. It evidently worked as I have noticed no wasps. That particular screen disappeared, as did the replacement screen I bought for nearly $20. I currently use a piece of duct tape over the vent. I have been careful to remove the tape when the heater is in use. I don't know if my expensive little external screens bounced off or were aided in their departure by someone who felt they needed them more than I. As I pointed out to my physician "just because I'm a hypochondriac doesn't meant I'm NOT sick."

The excellent screen placed between the vent cover and the side of the Casita seems to be an excellent, and well documented modification. Once I overcome my Pop Rivet Reluctance (related, I suspect, to my fear of drilling holes in the exterior of the Casita) I will probably attempt to apply such a modification. Until then, I'm sticking (ar, ar) with my duct tape solution.

Lane and Phoebe, the Poodle Girl who, while occasionally waspish, has caused no nest problems.

#7 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,126 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17' SD
  • Interests:Family, home, traveling w/fiberglass trailer, computers, chess, short track stock car racing, bowling.

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:06 PM

In addition to the heater vents there are several places where critters (wasps, mud daubers, etal) choose to set up housekeeping. Several members have documented their various solutions - here is a link to pictures of mine.

http://tinyurl.com/3ckcb3

Don

Don & Sherian, 2013 Ford F150, 4.0 V6, Crew Cab
07 Casita 17' SD w/HLA (Egg Motel, room for 2 - to go)

Photos of our mods and other stuff: http://tinyurl.com/2dz93g

#8 friz

friz
  • Casita Club Member
  • 614 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:16' LD

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

A couple of stainless steel sink strainers work good. Available at the dollar stores. Also need 2 small springs long enough to affix the screens. Or use #26 SST wire. I really didn't want to pay $14.95.

The pix of the vents with the flat piece of screen looks good too. Trim to fit, use the SST wire to fasten. Non-insulated #26 or 24 copper could work to fasten, might eventually burn off.