• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tedinkc

tedinkc
  • Casita Club Member
  • 737 posts
  • Local time: 01:25 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe 17
  • Interests:Discover America, get off the Interstate.

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:39 AM

We took the Casita out for 4 days this past weekend, first time since September. We were camped in the drive way of our other house, where our 2 sons, daughter in law and granddaughter lived while going to college. We sold the house and cleaned it out got the check on Monday. My problem, the toilet valve would stick open and I would have to hit the pedal and slip my toe off to get it to close. Any suggestions?

Ted

Ted & Cindy 04 17ft FD (Dragon Egg)
2011 Red Mercedes Sprinter 2500 (Dimpled Dragon)
IMG_2969.jpg

#2 ewauld

ewauld
  • Casita Club Member
  • 29 posts
  • Local time: 11:25 AM

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:28 AM

We took the Casita out for 4 days this past weekend, first time since September. We were camped in the drive way of our other house, where our 2 sons, daughter in law and granddaughter lived while going to college. We sold the house and cleaned it out got the check on Monday. My problem, the toilet valve would stick open and I would have to hit the pedal and slip my toe off to get it to close. Any suggestions?

Ted

My first idea is to put a very little Petroleum Jelly on the black gasket, but I would want to make sure that the petroleum jelly would not degrade the gasket in any way. Anyone else have any ideas on this ?

Ed
2000 17' SD
08 Trailblazer TV

#3 tedinkc

tedinkc
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 737 posts
  • Local time: 01:25 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe 17
  • Interests:Discover America, get off the Interstate.

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:30 AM

Ted

My first idea is to put a very little Petroleum Jelly on the black gasket, but I would want to make sure that the petroleum jelly would not degrade the gasket in any way. Anyone else have any ideas on this ?

Ed

I could see where that might help if it were stuck closed but it sticks in the open position.

Ted

Ted & Cindy 04 17ft FD (Dragon Egg)
2011 Red Mercedes Sprinter 2500 (Dimpled Dragon)
IMG_2969.jpg

#4 Sue and Sandy

Sue and Sandy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,651 posts
  • Local time: 12:25 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2001 16ft. Freedom Deluxe

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:55 AM

Maybe a spring broke. Can you contact the manufacturer and ask for help troubleshooting?

Susan

post-176-0-17307400-1358704984.jpg

post-176-0-54687300-1405271931_thumb.jpg

2001 16' FD "The Alpine Egg-Spress" #1155
2013 Ford F150 Supercab 4X4

#5 ewauld

ewauld
  • Casita Club Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:48 AM

Take a look at the Thetford Toilet Page http://www.thetford....60/Default.aspx
Click on "Service Kit 31711 - Pedal Cable"

It looks like the cable, spring and associated parts are located on the right side of the toilet (while facing it).
Perhaps you can spray some lubricant into the hole at back of seat after raising seat. Hopefully you hit the spot causing the
"restriction".

I just went out and looked at mine to see if it was sticking. It hesitated some. I sprayed some ceramic chain lubricant on it
through that hole.
It seemed to move easier. I used the Ceramic lubricant because it is the only thing I could find in my basement that could be
sprayed. Perhaps some WD 40 to get it moving and follow up with a real lubricant.

Hopefully, you can get it moving without up ending the toilet. Please keep us informed.

Ed
2000 17' SD
08 Trailblazer TV

#6 Muttley

Muttley
  • Casita Club Member
  • 897 posts
  • Local time: 12:25 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 17SD

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:16 PM

There is a chemical lubricant for RV toilets available at RV parts stores.
2002 SD 17 'Tinker Toy'
2010 Nissan Xterra

#7 smity

smity
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 17' SD
  • Interests:Kayak fishing

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:52 AM

I had the same problem. Thetford website recomends using silicone grease, you will find it in the plumbing section of hardware store. I first tried silicone spray to no effect. The silicone grease works great