7 replies to this topic

#1 sozomuse

sozomuse
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 03:04 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Bigfoot 25B175CB

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:59 AM

Tires and their speed and inflation pressures seem to be a hot topic for RV'ers, so this quote from the Goodyear service bulletin PSB #2011-13 should bring some clarity to the discussion.

"Special Trailer (“ST”) Tires
Goodyear Marathon trailer tires are widely used in a variety of towable trailer applications and are designed and branded as “ST” (Special Trailer) tires.
•Industry standards dictate that tires with the ST designation are speed rated at 65 MPH (104 km/h) under normal inflation and load conditions.
•Based on these industry standards, if tires with the ST designation are used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph (106 km/h and 121 km/h), it is necessary to increase the cold inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) above the recommended pressure for the rated maximum load. o Increasing the inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) does not provide any additional load carrying capacity. o Do not exceed the maximum pressure for the wheel. o If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then the
maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph (104 km/h). o The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi (69 kPa) beyond the inflation specified
for the maximum load of the tire."

My apologies if this document has already been posted.

Roger

Attached Files

#2 Dex

Dex
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,184 posts
  • Local time: 04:04 PM

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:11 AM

http://www.goodyeart...nance Guide.pdf

Should there be a note in that bulletin that - if your tires are rated for speeds over 65MPH?

I have 1 ST205/75R14 Goodyear tire from my original purchase of the Casita. It is rated for 65MPH at 50PSI. (For highway travel I inflate the tires to 55PSI and don't travel faster than 60MPH.)

Or are they saying you can go 66-70MPH if you increase the pressure to 60PSI
2006 17' Spirit owner since July 18, 2006
Tow Vehicle - 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4X4-Sport V-6 3.9L, Automatic Sports Plus Package, 31X10.5 tires, Limited Slip Differential, 4.10 gear ratio, Trailer Tow Group pkg(transmission & oil cooler, class IV hitch, wiring), Heavy Duty package (automatic Overdrive, battery upgrade, front & rear anti sway bars) Package

#3 Lane

Lane

Lane and the Poodle Girl

• Casita Club Member
  • 1,065 posts
  • Local time: 07:04 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Spirit Deluxe, 17
  • Interests:Travel, Photography, Wine, California, Foreign Language - Russian & German
  • Casita Club Directory #:2430

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:00 AM

Thanks!

Thanks for the bulletin and the info.

Lane and Phoebe, the Poodle Girl who hasn't mentioned the blowout we had last summer.
Ray Lane Aldrich
Lane's Bait Shop at
web.me.com/lanealdrich/Lanes_Bait_Shop
Retired & Loving it
Back in NoVA after the West Coast
2007 17'SD & Navigator

#4 Dennis The Menace

Dennis The Menace
  • Casita Club Member
  • 286 posts
  • Local time: 06:04 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' liberty
  • Interests:USMC,Traveling,people,
    light houses,
    fishing,sport shooting
    ,visiting old forts,History,
    motorcycles,eating,camping.
  • Trailer Name:it is what it is

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:00 PM

That saids it all.Thanks for the info. I learn more every day on this site.:lol:
Dennis

Dennis and Bess
RV: 2011 17' Casita Liberty  "it is what it is "
TV: 2005 Grey Chevolet Tahoe 5.3 V8 replaced with 2016 cherry red, RAM Bighorn 5.7 V8 CC pickup.
Curt class IV hitch, Curt Anti sway bar,T-P3 brake controller, Cobra 29 CB & weather radio.

"Once in awhile it really hits people that they don't have to experience the world

in the way they have been told to.  -Alan Keightley

#5 Beetlefreak

Beetlefreak
  • Casita Club Member
  • 131 posts
  • Local time: 07:04 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2010 Liberty
  • Interests:Finding a good adventure

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:41 PM

Or are they saying you can go 66-70MPH if you increase the pressure to 60PSI

I don't know if that is what they are saying but that is what I am doing.
So much fun - So little time
Beetlefreak.com

#6 Robere

Robere
  • Casita Club Member
  • 91 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2010 17' SD HLA
  • Interests:nature, jazz, history, and friendly people

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

The facts: Our 2010 SD has been towed three consecutive seasons and now has more than 20,000 miles on the original ST 225/75R15 Goodyear Marathon tires which were balanced at 6000 miles. We run inflated at 60 psi and tow at or below 55 MPH 95% of the time. The tires & rims are removed and stored in the off season and the sidewalls are protected from UV when parked. We never overload and do not carry a generator or other items on the tongue or hanging on the back. We've never had a problem however, I will replace the tires before our next travel event. Why? A slight bulge in a sidewall probably caused by a pot hole or hitting a curb. The local tire stores have given me different stories as to why or why not the tires should be replaced. I'm going on the side of caution as we travel the "blue" highways more often than not and locating replacement tires at a reasonable cost in a remote corner of America could be a problem. From what I understand from those of you with lots of towing experience and upon the advice of my local tire professionals there are seven important considerations when dealing with trailer tires. 1. Purchase tires recommended by the tire professionals appropriate to the trailer. 2. Beware of under inflation. 3. Slow down. 4. Don't overload your trailer. 5. Replace the tires every 3 or 4 years. 6. Tread depth is not an indicator of reliability. 7. Inspect the sidewalls frequently for bulges. I may go to a 10 ply Load Range E with the new tires. Seems to be good advice. The current price (Nov 2012) for two tires is $300-370 (mounted, balanced, tax, disposal) here in the Puget Sound area. Any thoughts or recommended sources?
Robere & Jacqueline (aka Pepe & Gigi) with Ella (the Miniature Poodle) & Tibet (the Lhasa Apso).
2012 Toyota 4Runner 4.0 liter V-6 4x4 followed by
"blue note" a 2010 17' SD HLA

#7 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

Goodyear Tire Inflation Chart

Highlighted are the two 15" Goodyear tires that Casita now offers, as well as the 14" tire they offered pre-2010.

Goodyear Tire Inflation Chart.jpg

Eileen
  • Redfred likes this
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#8 Robere

Robere
  • Casita Club Member
  • 91 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2010 17' SD HLA
  • Interests:nature, jazz, history, and friendly people

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

Great information Eileen. Thank you. We continue to search for the "best" ST tire here in the Puget Sound area and have concluded that most are made in China. That isn't necessarily bad but buying "Made in USA" is a motivation for many of us even if the cost is higher. We are seeing prices for the "Made in China" tires around $300 for two ST225/R15 tires, mounted, dynamic balanced, new metal stems, including the disposal & EPA fees and taxes. The actual tires are priced in the $120 range. Anyone have a line on ST tires made in the USA?
Robere & Jacqueline (aka Pepe & Gigi) with Ella (the Miniature Poodle) & Tibet (the Lhasa Apso).
2012 Toyota 4Runner 4.0 liter V-6 4x4 followed by
"blue note" a 2010 17' SD HLA