5 replies to this topic

#1 Mel0422

Mel0422
  • Casita Club Member
  • 5 posts
  • Local time: 05:41 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom/16ft

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:49 PM

We own a 1989 16ft Casita purchased last summer. Trailer is in great shape and everything functioned perfectly on it. My question is the P.O. put 16 inch wheels and tires on the trailer 225/60/16 auto tires. Clearance is about 1 1/2 inches on the front of tire and wheel well. I am now looking for new wheels and tires for the trailer. I am thinking about going with 14 inch set up for more clearance in wheel well and I am having trouble locating wheels for load d tires any help would be appreciated. If anyone has a good source for wheel and tire combo that would be terrific. Also I do have the original 13 inch wheels?

Thanks
David

#2 chino

chino
  • Casita Club Member
  • 23 posts
  • Local time: 04:41 AM

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:16 PM

Does the wheel-well show signs of the tire contacting it? If not I would stay with what you have. I would never go to a smaller size with less capacity. Many posts here of blow-outs and people wanting to up-grade the tires. I just bought new tires and went up a size and a weight rating. Replacing a blown tire will be the cheapest part of the repair if it happens to you on the road. Usually the wheel is shot, plumbing pipes, and the trailer side and wheel well take quite a bit of damage. Chino

#3 Mel0422

Mel0422
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:24 AM

Does the wheel-well show signs of the tire contacting it? If not I would stay with what you have. I would never go to a smaller size with less capacity. Many posts here of blow-outs and people wanting to up-grade the tires. I just bought new tires and went up a size and a weight rating. Replacing a blown tire will be the cheapest part of the repair if it happens to you on the road. Usually the wheel is shot, plumbing pipes, and the trailer side and wheel well take quite a bit of damage. Chino

Chino, thanks for the reply. The problem is the 16's are regular auto tires not st tires and the rims are spin on's so if I do have flat changing them would be a real pain. I carried two 13 inch spares with me when camping last summer, as I have no 16 inch spare. Plus the fact that clearance on one side is pretty close to wheel well, I would be more comfortable with a good load d set up. David

#4 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 04:41 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:41 AM

If your rims can handle it, consider going to a 15" Load D or E. They're easy to find and will last a lot longer than the 14"s.

FYI: Casita now provides 15" Load C as standard issue, and 15" Load D with the high lift axle option.

Personally, I wouldn't go with anything lower than a Load D.

Eileen
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#5 ABK

ABK
  • Casita Club Member
  • 83 posts
  • Local time: 08:41 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe 17'

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:46 PM

Look around and shop the tires. Many tire dealers offer the trailer tire and rim as one unit. I have seen this combo or $145.00 for 15" load "C". Load "D" would be slightly more. Don't forget
to contact a boat dealer also.

#6 Mel0422

Mel0422
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:33 PM

Look around and shop the tires. Many tire dealers offer the trailer tire and rim as one unit. I have seen this combo or $145.00 for 15" load "C". Load "D" would be slightly more. Don't forget
to contact a boat dealer also.

Thanks everyone for the comments, would like to go with 15 inch load d but not enough room in wheel well. 26 inch diameter is going tobe max. That is why I am looking at 14 inch wheels and tires. All the searching I have done I cannot find a load d wheel in 14 if anyone can pointme in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.
David