#16 f_stop

f_stop
  • Casita Club Member
  • 434 posts
  • Local time: 12:07 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:16' spirit deluxe

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:11 AM

harry,

i'm picking up a 16' spirit deluxe in rice on dec. 9th. give me a few days to get back to sc and i'd be happy for you to come have a look at mine. while i'm not next door, it wouldn't be that far to columbia, sc.

p@
"peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from the gods"
kurt vonnegut, the sirens of titan

#17 Dex

Dex
  • Casita Club Member
  • 903 posts
  • Local time: 09:07 AM

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:05 AM

. Also, i've been debating between a head/shower version vs. more room without,& a portable pot.

I've had a Casita since 2006 and use it 4-5 months/yr. I've never used the shower or toilet. Also, I very rarely have used the water/sink in the Casita. For all those needs I've used the RV park facilities. I just found it easier. I use bottled water for drinking and cooking.

I suggest you take a drive and visit a range of RV parks in your area and determine what your camping style is.

Even when in the RV in the Tetons RV park - the area without power - I would use the park facilities. In that case however I would use the park water in a 2.5 gallon water bottle to wash the dishes in the sink. There weren't any facilities for that.
2006 17' Spirit owner since July 18, 2006
Tow Vehicle - 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4X4-Sport V-6 3.9L, Automatic Sports Plus Package, 31X10.5 tires, Limited Slip Differential, 4.10 gear ratio, Trailer Tow Group pkg(transmission & oil cooler, class IV hitch, wiring), Heavy Duty package (automatic Overdrive, battery upgrade, front & rear anti sway bars) Package

#18 Larry the bass guy

Larry the bass guy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:01 PM

Scamp or Casita, that is the question. Well, I have owned both, currently a 2009 Casita 17FD and before a 2005 16' Scamp with a side bath. From a general overall point of view the Casita is of much higher quality. The doors and drawers operate better, the fit and finish is better and you can get the Casita with a vinyl floor. I wanted more bells and whistles and the Casita I purchased this spring was exactingly what I would have ordered eventually if this one hadn't shown up. Many of the mechanical items are the same or similar from the suppliers, it is just my impression that Casita does a better job with their shop made parts and putting it all together. But headroom is an important issue as I have done some offshore sailing where comfort is needed. The other thing I wanted was a trailer that was not going to be a project in progress. So I shied away from anything more than a few years old. There are many excellent rigs out there, you just have to be aggressive in looking for a well cared for one and then commit. My Scamp worked okay for what I initially did with it, but it felt very basic. I am going out more and more and longer and it would not have provided the experience I am looking for. My Casita is up to the task. Don't hold back for nickles and dimes, go for it and enjoy life. I even looked at Escapes and they are really impressive. But the you pay a lot more for them. While I was going back and forth between a Casita and Escape when I decided to upgrade, and I would love to own an Escape, my Casita came along and I ain't looking back.
Larry
  • Paul and Cathy and like this

#19 pemsit

pemsit
  • Casita Club Member
  • 252 posts
  • Local time: 10:07 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 17' Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Travel, photography, hiking.
    Planning to see all the National Parks in the lower 48, I have visited 40 so far

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:50 PM

Hi, ya'll! I'm not yet a Casita owner, been debating between the Patriot & Scamp 13. Headroom has been the issue. Will my 5'11" be a big issue in gettin' around in a Patriot? Another thing that concerns me is, I'm not wanting to drive to central MN. in january. I'm only half nuts! Driving to Rice, Tx. won't be a problem any time, my yankee butt has lived i Gulfport, Ms. for 12 years, moved to N.C. and am wonderin' why! I'm retired on social security disability & life savings, with no serious responsibilities beyond keep on breathing as long as i can. Anyway, I thought I'd weigh in here, looking for ANY feedback on the benefits for/against a casita or scamp. Also, i've been debating between a head/shower version vs. more room without,& a portable pot. Campgrounds/RV parks have showers, Flying J's, etc. Boondocking, 60+degrees, an outside shower works. Don't want to get too soft! I travel almost exclusively solo, in a toyota tacoma, 5spd,4cyl.,I think a 16' would be pulling too hard, so i'm pretty set on a 13' something.
Somebody please give me some advice! I'm getting tired of spending all day reading online the pros/cons of each and Trilliums from CA. I'm getting my cardioverter defibrillator swapped out tomorrow in Durham VA, if they don't kill me, I have to decide on this lifestyle change! Thanx for reading..

Let me say that I have never owned a Scamp, I like the scamp, but I bought a Casita 17 SD. I have worked on a friends Scamp doing Mod's and from what I have seen so far the Casita is better quality, but you sacrifice quality for weight as the Casita is much heavier than a Scamp. But it like comparing Apples to Oranges, it all depends on what you are looking for.

#20 Lane

Lane

Lane and the Poodle Girl

• Casita Club Member
  • 1,065 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Spirit Deluxe, 17
  • Interests:Travel, Photography, Wine, California, Foreign Language - Russian & German
  • Casita Club Directory #:2430

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:02 AM

Casita

The deciding factor for me was that the Casita had a full fiberglass bottom compared to Scamp's fiberglassed plywood.
Ray Lane Aldrich
Lane's Bait Shop at
web.me.com/lanealdrich/Lanes_Bait_Shop
Retired & Loving it
Back in NoVA after the West Coast
2007 17'SD & Navigator

#21 Donna D.

Donna D.
  • Casita Club Member
  • 451 posts
  • Local time: 08:07 AM

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:10 PM

Casita

The deciding factor for me was that the Casita had a full fiberglass bottom compared to Scamp's fiberglassed plywood.

That can be a postive or a negative depending on circumstances. Leaks happen from the top down. Where does the water go on a full fiberglass bottom when a window leaks? My soon-to-be 24 year old Scamp with a fully resin soaked wood floor has never had a rot problem. It's a maintenance issue and anyone with any brand of molded trailer that doesn't pay attention to leaks will eventually have problems. I think the real issue is what kind of layout you're looking for that suits your needs... along with features and options. Either brand, I think you'd be happy if it suits you.

#22 DesertHawk

DesertHawk
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:19 PM

¡Hola! from Las Cruces, New Mexico. Welcome to the Forum.

You will have more head room in the 13' Scamp than the 13' Casita. The bed size for one person in the Scamp should be very good (I would believe the same applies for the Casita). The Fridge size seems to be the same in both. You can get 13' Scamps with a shower/bathroom, seems this is true with Casita as well.

Scamp come with 13" tires/wheels, seems Casita are 15".

Scamp features: http://www.scamptrai.../13Options.aspx

http://www.scamptrai...ifications.aspx

Casita features: http://www.casitatra...m/showroom.html

http://www.casitatra...m/showroom.html

I believe Scamp Factory has a list of people who will show their trailers as does Casita. Scamp will deliver (as does Casita), Scamp trailers the Scamps to you, Casita seem to tow them.

DesertHawk
2005 16' Scamp Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailer
Side Dinette, Front Shower & Head

Edited by DesertHawk, 11 March 2012 - 05:26 PM.

DesertHawk * Las Cruces, New Mexico USA
2005 Scamp 16' SD - 2009 White Ford F-150 Reg Cab (Retired the '03 Ford Ranger)
http://s286.photobuc...rection=reverse
CampingPosts

#23 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,680 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17SD
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, musea, traditional jazz music, piano, full time traveling.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:29 PM

Having seen my share of stinky toilets and questionable showers in public facilities I would not have any trailer without my own private shower and toilet ('head' for you yachties). I keep my facilites clean and I don't pee on my own toilet seat.

Just my opinion.

Ed
  • SkyJean and Paul and Cathy like this
Ed Trautwein, #1372 - '03 17SD "Pura Vida", HLA
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -
Casita living - luxury on two wheels.

Home is where I park it!

#24 Tawny&Gary

Tawny&Gary
  • Casita Club Member
  • 332 posts
  • Local time: 08:07 AM
  • Interests:We love the desert, mountains, Nat'l & State parks and hiking in nature.

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:25 AM

Thanks for the chuckle, "Dutch" ... I would agree 100% but on behalf of myself, and all former U.S. Navy veterans, I must add that the endearing term "head" applies to more than just yachties! Happy Trails to you.

Gary

Having seen my share of stinky toilets and questionable showers in public facilities I would not have any trailer without my own private shower and toilet ('head' for you yachties). I keep my facilites clean and I don't pee on my own toilet seat.

Just my opinion.

Ed

Gary & Tawny

Temple, TX

2008 17' SD ("B2") Formerly

2011 Heartland Prowler 5th wheel Currently

#25 Karalyn

Karalyn
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 11:07 AM

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:50 PM

I have owned 2 Scamp and 1 Casita. My main concerns with the Scamp is I can not reach the toilet without a stool. How are kids going to reach the toilet if I can not. Also the exit is on the ceiling. Now tell me who is going to be climbing out the ceiling when there is a fire.(certainly not old people like me or children).
Yes, I feel Casita's are made better. I am looking for another Casita (Sold the Scamp and don't really want another one).

#26 sparky1

sparky1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 266 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:13Ft Patriot Deluxe
  • Interests:camping in something--
    I have a female cat
    good sam lifetimer
  • Casita Club Directory #:2911 virginia

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:09 AM

good Morning all;
I have a 2000. Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe,---it may not hold much water,But I do use MY facilities when i Have to,---rather have them than NOT, A good hot day---a Quick rinse off--very refreshing.plus Bathroom for those mid night events and it's Raining cats & dogs,
I love my Casita.
sparky1, 105 miles north of Raleigh,camping in my Field,
  • Jodi likes this

#27 vermilye

vermilye
  • Casita Club Member
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Photography, travel

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:51 AM

I went through the same decision process (although looking at 17' trailers) and settled on an Escape 17B, mostly because they offered the options I wanted & were willing to add some of my own ideas to the trailer. By the way, at 3000 lbs loaded, I'm pulling the Escape with a RAV4 (V6 & Tow Package) - 20K miles so far...

You really need to hit some fiberglass trailer meets that have a mixture of trailers, and check as many brands as possible. There are some new players such as Lil Snoozy and Park Liner that may be worth looking at. If you are considering a new trailer there are more options - there may not be too many used trailers available for the more recent manufacturers. Personally, I feel the Casita & Bigfoot are the best of the long established manufacturers.

I'd also spend some time on the different forums to see what owners think of their trailers. The Fiberglass RV Forum covers all of them, however there are many individual forums as well. I have links to Forums, Manufacturers, and Fiberglass owner blogs at JV's Fiberglass Trailer Links.

Edited by vermilye, 18 March 2012 - 07:52 AM.

#28 Jodi

Jodi
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Scamp 13'

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:47 AM

Hi,
I've been living full time in my 13' 2011 Scamp since I bought it two years ago. I absolutely love it and would not consider another lifestyle at this point. Of course, being female I'm 5'6'' and have plenty of head space. I spend a lot of time lounging on my memory foam bed that never gets turned into a table. I have all the bells and whistles but like you said I use the campgrounds facilities. My shower and toilet are still virgin (never used). I have a chamber pot I use for peeing and just go out at night and dump it directly into the drain. I'm hooked up of course to electric and water and cable. I've been here in Austin for two years enjoying my 3 y/o grandson but will move about at some point, i.e. Oregon, etc...love being solo. Sometimes I consider trading up to a 16' but worry a bit about pulling it with my V.6 Toyota 4 runner. Not interested in getting a different truck at this time or ever really. Anyway...just my thoughts, Jodi jmckenna56@hotmail.com
  • SKYTALKER and SkyJean like this

#29 codasmom

codasmom
  • Casita Club Member
  • 58 posts
  • Local time: 09:07 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Patriot 13'

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:26 AM

Harry, I have a 13' without the potty area. I like that just fine and here is why:
So far I have camped at places that had showers and restrooms. I like to use someone elses water and they clean up too. That is OK with me. I don't want to haul water or clean any more than I have to. I don't have to get up at night typically, but do keep a "can" under the couch for emergencies.
My water for cooking and drinking I keep in 1 gal jugs. Easier for me to re-fill and carry as I need it.

I don't cook inside unless the weather does not permit being outside. I love cooking out anyway and I don't want the smells in the camper.

I travel alone (well with 4 dogs) so I leave the bed made up all the time. I have configured a little "table for one" that fits over the silverware drawer for eating inside when weather is bad.

That's my story....but I was a tent camper before so this is all luxury to me.

#30 schatzie

schatzie
  • Casita Club Member
  • 167 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' SD

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

Harry,

We were in the same decision making process that you are in about 5 years ago. We were searching for a carefree fiberglass trailer that would suit our every need, and nothing more. We traveled to MN and toured the Scamp factory and checked out their models. We spoke with the owner, but were not impressed with the quality of the trailers that we observed. Many had loose fitting cabinetry and the cutouts were not uniform or well finished. The exposed underside was probably the determining factor for us not buying a Scamp. The factory owner was not very open to answering our questions and concerns.

We then toured the Casita factory in TX. Night and day difference! The trailers showed much better quality and consistancy in interior preparation. The staff at Casita was friendly, knowledgeable, and answered all of our questions without hesitation. We ended up buying a new 17' SD with all the options except the microwave, sink cover, and TV stand. We could not be happier and know that we made the right decision for us.

I have always been taught that strict attention to detail is important in anything worth doing. The attention to detail that I observed in the Casita factory and in closely examining their trailers was a huge factor in our decision to buy the Casita. The buying process and followup support to our many questions was outstanding! If we ever have to replace our Casita, and hopefully that will never happen, we will be making another trip to Rice without thinking twice.

Best Wishes in whatever you decide.

Bob & Ginny
Bob & Ginny Schattschneider
South Milwaukee, WI.
2009 Casita 17' SD
2004 Ford F-150 FX4