11 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Blank

Bob Blank
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 06:36 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Delux 17'

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:30 PM

I am wondering which upgrades and extra's casita owners appreciate the most.....i.e is an anti-sway bar necessary? 15" tires,? elevated suspension are captain chairs only available in the Freedom Deluxe? is the microwave a good add on or can one do as well or better with price to purchase on our own after we pick up our casita? Any comments or suggestions from long or short time owners would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Bob Blank

#2 solong

solong
  • Casita Club Member
  • 28 posts
  • Local time: 07:36 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17 SD

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:31 PM

I purchased the anti-sway bar and have driven in high winds here in Texas, and our Casita is very stable, hardly know that I have it on my GMC Sierra. I think that the sway bar is a necessity.
Also I have the 15 inch tires. In Texas it has to be bigger to be better - therefore 15 Inch tires. I really dont know if they are better but I like them. In my opinion and in talking to other owners, the captain chairs take up to much room. However I seriously consider buying the Captain chairs when I purchased by 2011 SD. Since I have my Casita SD I am glad that I did not buy the captain chairs. I also have the Microwave and TV option installed and I dont feel that you lose room having them installed. If you want to save money, many people instal the Microwave and TV themselves.
Also, the installation at the factory are very profession. Here in Texas with the 100 degree weather, I can't use my Microwave and Air Cond at the same time without a breaker popping. I did not purchase the furnace, and I and also glad that I didnt, but up north I would have purchased the furnace. The awning is great. There are a lot of discussions within this forum, that discusses almost all options, with pros an con. Just search for and item that you are interested in reviewing.

With that said, one thing that I am sure of is that whatever Casita you acquire, I am sure you will love the egg.

Take Care

Joe & Pat
Joe & Pat
Poolville, Texas
2011 SD 17

#3 schatzie

schatzie
  • Casita Club Member
  • 225 posts
  • Local time: 08:36 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' SD

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:22 PM

We purchased a 17SD with all options except the sink cover, TV stand, and built in microwave. The high lift axle with 15" wheels makes going up and down steep inclines (driveways) a carefree task. The high lift axle also makes it easier to empty the black and grey tanks and provides more clearance for working under the Casita. The SD side dinette (without the swivel chairs) provides more storage space under the seats. This was a big plus for us. We did not get the built-in microwave because we do not really use one that often. We can always purchase a small microwave for a lot less money if we want one later on. Casitas come with the venting and a double outlet in the storage area where the factory microwave would be. Adding an after market microwave is just a matter of plugging it in. We prefer the extra storage space that is obtained by eliminating the microwave. We plan on hanging our TV under the curbside overhanging cabinets across the back of the Casita. This eliminates having to put up and take down the TV stand (one less thing to store). I would highly recommend the larger fresh water tank if you plan on boondocking. We ordered the furnace because the weather in Wisconsin can change in a hurry! The vynal floor is much easier to keep clean than the carpeted floor. We also make great use of the awning. After almost three years of use, we would definitely order the same options again. Our choice was the right one for us. Good luck with your decisions and may you love your Casita as we do ours.

Bob & Ginny
Bob & Ginny Schattschneider
South Milwaukee, WI.
2009 Casita 17' SD
2004 Ford F-150 FX4

#4 Dennis The Menace

Dennis The Menace
  • Casita Club Member
  • 286 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' liberty
  • Interests:USMC,Traveling,people,
    light houses,
    fishing,sport shooting
    ,visiting old forts,History,
    motorcycles,eating,camping.
  • Trailer Name:it is what it is

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:40 PM

Hi Bob
We got all the x-tras except the microwave as we plan to mostly dry camp. I will buy one at wally world for 50 bucks and keep it in the TV until needed.(maybe)
We have the LD and the two cabinets over the frig are perfect for food storage. We would have lost that with a microwave.Cans in the top one works perfect. The frig is huge.
The 15 inch tires are standard now and do get the D rated tires and HLAxle and sway bar. Also the Curt 1700 WDHitch. Do all you can to be as safe as you can. You will run into some strong winds in your travels.
It was about 2K for all the options but it transformed the trailer into a year round ,any weather house. Be prepaired,get everything if you can,if you cant,wait a little longer to buy so you can.
I must confess that we did require our kids to chip in and they did. (reverse cash flow). I hope you enjoy your Casita and have fun.:D
Dennis

Edited by Dennis The Menace, 23 October 2011 - 08:41 PM.

Dennis and Bess
RV: 2011 17' Casita Liberty  "it is what it is "
TV: 2005 Grey Chevolet Tahoe 5.3 V8 replaced with 2016 cherry red, RAM Bighorn 5.7 V8 CC pickup.
Curt class IV hitch, Curt Anti sway bar,T-P3 brake controller, Cobra 29 CB & weather radio.

"Once in awhile it really hits people that they don't have to experience the world

in the way they have been told to.  -Alan Keightley

#5 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 05:36 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:54 PM

anti-sway bar necessary?
ABSOLUTELY!

15" tires?
Go for the 15" Load D. Wider selection of 15s when it's time to replace.

Elevated suspension?
High lift axle improves dumping, underneath repairs and ground clearance.

Captain chairs only available in the Freedom Deluxe?
Yes. You need to try them out before you purchase. It's a personal preference. Compared to the SD, you lose the storage underneath and the ability to turn it into an extra bed, if you need it.

is the microwave a good add on?
Skip the built-in and purchase your own unit. Easier and cheaper to replace if it quits on you. Plus, you can remove your own unit and use the cabinet for storage.

Eileen
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#6 travlinbob

travlinbob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 687 posts
  • Interests:Family, travel, surfing the web, researching historical places and events, maps and charts, travel, cars, sailing, light sport aircraft and photography.
  • Casita Club Directory #:3005

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:07 AM

Get everything but the microwave. I did and nothing on our Casita goes unused, I have no regrets.
Bob
09 C17SD "Rancho Casita", high lift axle, and 15" load range "D" Marathons
01 Chevy Blazer and 07 Trail Blazer

#7 Mark Watson

Mark Watson
  • Casita Club Member
  • 582 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 FD 17

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:13 PM

[quote name='Bob Blank' timestamp='1319419855' post='148550']
I am wondering which upgrades and extra's casita owners appreciate the most.....

Awning, air conditioner with heat strip, furnace.

Mark Watson

Houston,Tx
2008 17' FD

#8 Indy-hp

Indy-hp
  • Casita Club Member
  • 333 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:44 AM

1319419855[/url]' post='148550']I am wondering which upgrades and extra's casita owners appreciate the most.....i.e is an anti-sway bar necessary? 15" tires,? elevated suspension are captain chairs only available in the Freedom Deluxe? is the microwave a good add on or can one do as well or better with price to purchase on our own after we pick up our casita? Any comments or suggestions from long or short time owners would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Bob Blank

Must haves: vinyl flooring, awning, dual mode water heater, cable-ready, convenience package (level bubbles, water hose, etc.)
Nice but optional: high lift axle, load D 15" tires, entertainment system
Personal preference: 25 gallon water tank vs. loss of storage, captains chairs vs. loss of bed and storage, sway bar, furnace
Don't need: microwave, tv shelf, sink cover

Edited by Indy-hp, 20 November 2011 - 07:54 AM.

Henry & Debbie
2010 Honda Ridgeline

#9 Dennis The Menace

Dennis The Menace
  • Casita Club Member
  • 286 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' liberty
  • Interests:USMC,Traveling,people,
    light houses,
    fishing,sport shooting
    ,visiting old forts,History,
    motorcycles,eating,camping.
  • Trailer Name:it is what it is

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:59 AM

Its been in the high 30's at night here (central Texas) for the last few days. You just never know what the weather is goung to be.
GLAD I GOT THE PROPANE FURNACE :dncinban:

Dennis and Bess
RV: 2011 17' Casita Liberty  "it is what it is "
TV: 2005 Grey Chevolet Tahoe 5.3 V8 replaced with 2016 cherry red, RAM Bighorn 5.7 V8 CC pickup.
Curt class IV hitch, Curt Anti sway bar,T-P3 brake controller, Cobra 29 CB & weather radio.

"Once in awhile it really hits people that they don't have to experience the world

in the way they have been told to.  -Alan Keightley

#10 CA-Steve&Gale

CA-Steve&Gale
  • Casita Club Member
  • 10 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit Deluxe

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:02 PM

I consider the 15" tires and anti-sway bar safety features that should be standard. I have a 2006 Toyota Tacoma with a 4.0L V-6 which is rated by Toyota to pull up to 6,500 lbs. The trailer pulls easily and is great in side winds. It's easier to pull than our old tent-trailer even though it was about 60% of the weight of the Casita.

The vinyl flooring is easy to clean and cheap to cover with use-a-few-times-and-toss carpet scraps or cheap indoor-outdoor carpet. Keeps the tootsies warm. The furnace is a must since we stay at grand kids house at 5,000 ft in Arizona in the winter (it was 14 degrees when we left after Thanksgiving) and the A/C is a must living in the Central Valley of CA. We have a DVR at home with a 51" TV and we prefer public campgrounds, so we don't have a dinky TV in "Juanita Casita". I prefer caveman-TV (fire) and reading my Kindle. The built-in microwave is a rip-off and we don't have hook-ups often enough to justify buying a cheap-o one. We happily use the storage space for food.

I originally wanted the captain's chairs, but Casita will not install an outside shower in that model. Apparently, the plumbing is hidden in the bench seats which is not possible with the captain's chairs. The chairs only swivel as well - they don't lean back. I wanted the outside shower more than the swivel chairs, so we got the SD about 16 months ago - still no regrets. So far, we've pulled it 13,628 miles and stayed in it for 144 nights.

Good luck,
Steve
  • MGD likes this

#11 theyellowroseoftexas

theyellowroseoftexas
  • Casita Club Member
  • 29 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2012 Spirit Deluxe 17'
  • Interests:Travel, Hiking, Dog Agility, 4X4

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:21 PM

[/quote]
Awning, air conditioner with heat strip, furnace.
[/quote]
Mark -
All of the above + vinyl flooring(easy to clean). I just bought an indoor/outdoor carpet runner from Bed Bath Beyond that's 7'6"x24" for the floor: http://www.bedbathan...mc=1&SKU=127860
I can wash it when it gets dirty. I think the furnace with the thermostat was the best investment. If you are going to be camping anywhere that gets chilly that furnace is worth every penny!

Edited by theyellowroseoftexas, 06 January 2012 - 11:26 PM.

#12 DeadEyeDan

DeadEyeDan
  • Casita Club Member
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles
    Photography
    Ham Radio

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:41 AM

We bought ours used. It has every option but the high lift axle. If I were to buy a new one I would get the high lift axle and 15" wheels.

I might not get the microwave though. We use it mostly for storage, and it takes up what would be a really nice pantry if we didn't have it. When I am camping, I want my food grilled and cooked, not microwaved.
(Dead Eye) Dan
Sacramento CA
2005 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe (Snoopy1)
2003 Ford Excursion Diesel (Tow Beast)
DANzGarage BLOG