#1 ebeechem

ebeechem
  • Casita Club Member
  • 5 posts
  • Local time: 08:27 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Not yet an owner

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:33 AM

Hello,

My family moved to Center, TX in December. I am the minister of music at First Baptist Church. I am very interested in camping with my wife and two sons and Casitas and Scamps both interest us. We have never seen one. From what I can tell, the only one that can sleep 4 and has an indoor shower is the Liberty Deluxe. I was checking on here to see if anybody nearby would be willing for us to tour your Casita or Scamp or similar lightweight travel trailer. I look forward to hearing from some of you!

Eric Beechem
Eric Beechem
Center, TX

#2 Strbyshtcak

Strbyshtcak
  • Casita Club Member
  • 32 posts
  • Local time: 07:27 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2012 Liberty 17'
  • Interests:reading, decorating, puppies, sewing, nature, meeting friends, family, traveling

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:05 AM

The Casita factory is in Rice, TX which is just outside of Corsicana on TX45. You can always go there to tour and visit the factory. Also, you can call the factory, 1-800-442-9986, and they can give you information on who has a casita in your area. Most everyone is willing to show theirs. Four persons in a Liberty will be tight. You would all have to sleep in a king size bed. I don't know the size of your children and if that would work for you or not.

Amy

#3 ebeechem

ebeechem
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:39 AM

I wish I had known about Casita when we lived in Malakoff. We were only 30 minutes east of Corsicana. Thank you for the information. After reading your post I noticed that the Spirit is marketed to the family market. I probably need to visit the factory so I can compare all of the floor plans. Both the Spirit and Liberty say that they sleep 2-6 people. In comparing the two floor plans, I thought the Liberty has a double bed and two seat beds, while the Spirit has a double bed and one single bed. I just need to see some examples in person. Is the Spirit better suited for families? Are Casita trailers a good option for a family of four or should I consider other travel trailers? My sons are ages 4 and 11.

Attached Thumbnails

• Casita Spirit Deluxe.JPG
  • Casita Liberty Deluxe.JPG

Eric Beechem
Center, TX

#4 Strbyshtcak

Strbyshtcak
  • Casita Club Member
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:reading, decorating, puppies, sewing, nature, meeting friends, family, traveling

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:45 AM

When Casita says they sleep 2-6 people the people have to be tiny people!! But I personally think the spirit is possibly better for a family. One child could sleep on the single bed and the smaller one on the floor or in the larger bed with the two of you, but it would be crowded, IMO. As far as looking at another trailer, I guess only you can decide that. There is something special about the casita that, once it's in your blood, you are hooked!! You just have to look at all the pros and cons of each brand and decide what is right for you, I suppose. I am an empty nester so my needs are completely different from your needs. Also, something to think about.....the single bed in the Spirit is 24" wide so it will be fine for your child for now, but when they are 17 yo strapping young men, they may be cramped. But by that time they can stay in a tent outside of the casita, if you feel safe with that option. Keep reading the forums and other websites and you will eventually make the right decision for your family, I'm sure. Good Luck!! And have a fun time making your decision!
Amy

#5 ebeechem

ebeechem
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:26 PM

Keep reading the forums and other websites and you will eventually make the right decision for your family, I'm sure. Good Luck!! And have a fun time making your decision!
Amy

Thank you for the great advice. That seems to be the plan. We'll save money while we investigate our options online and at RV shows! ;)
Eric Beechem
Center, TX

#6 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,274 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:01 PM

With children growing up so fast, I would also recommend the tent option. It's an adventure for the kids, they can play around by themselves until sleep time, and likely more fun than 'having' to sleep with mom and dad.

Just a thought.

Ed
remembering childhood. :rofl:

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#7 JerryC

JerryC
  • Casita Club Member
  • 541 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2016 ID
  • Interests:Sightseeing, Hiking, Geocaching, Hot Air Ballooning, Touring this great country in our Casita.

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:17 PM

The Pine Knot Rally is going on this weekend near Crockett, TX. This link will give you info and directions. There will be a trailer showing Saturday from 1-4 pm. Drop in and you can find the answer to any question you may have about Casita's and a few other brands of Fiberglass RV.

http://www.fgrvg.com/Pineknot.html

Jerry & Wanda
2016 ID
Deep South
Sometimes home, but mostly gone
http://eggrollings.blogspot.com/

#8 Rich&Gina

Rich&Gina
  • Casita Club Member
  • 55 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe 17ft

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:40 PM

Eric,

I would also recommend coming to Crockett this weekend for the Pineknot Rally. I can not even imagine what it will be like to have so many Casitas in one place.
If you can not make it, I own a 17ft Spirit Deluxe that I would be happy to show you. I live in Lufkin, so we are pretty close to you. Although, don't expect to see it in Lufkin this weekend, because I am heading to Pineknot and am I excited.
:danc: :danc: :danc: :danc:

#9 Strbyshtcak

Strbyshtcak
  • Casita Club Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:16 PM

I think going to the Pineknott Rally is a great idea. You will get to see many Casitas all at one place. I am going and I don't have my casita yet. Maybe it's short notice but hopefully you can make it. I hope to see you there. It will be my first rally and I can hardly wait!
Amy

#10 ebeechem

ebeechem
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:30 PM

I may make it there Saturday. I knew of the event, but didn't know I could come for the showing from 1-4. My wife and 5 year old will be out of town. My 12 year old son has a 4-H event in Nacogdoches Saturday. I don't know what time his event is. If is in the morning, then we'll leave from there to Crockett. -Amy, Rich, Gina, Jerry, and ed, maybe I'll meet you all. I hope my schedule works out!
Eric Beechem
Center, TX