• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 anvilmanco

anvilmanco
  • Casita Club Member
  • 118 posts
  • Local time: 05:14 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:None at the moment
  • Interests:Blacksmithing, Travel (with the Casita and wife), life, woodworking, and lots of other things.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1340

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:21 PM

We just got our Casita; am going to tow with our 2011 Escape V-6. Do any of you use leveling hitch arrangements?

I can't answer your question about Leveling Hitch Arrangements ( are you talking about Weight Distribution Hitches?). If so, I would NOT think you'd need it with a trailer that small. I've had (2) 17 foot Casitas and with the last one, I did use a Single Bar WDH and loved it. But, again, unless you're having handling problems I would think you'd need it.

May I ask about how you get the Patriot into the Garage? My maximum clearance, at the Door frame, is 82 inches. Do I have a short door, or do you have a higher one? Or, are the overall height dimensions on the Casita Web site wrong?

Thanks,

Keith Williams

Edited by anvilmanco, 21 July 2013 - 06:24 PM.

Keith & Shirley Williams
No Trailer at the moment
2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport (TRD)
Honda EU2000i Generator
More wishes than money!
Casita Directory # 1340 - Aurora, Colorado

#17 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Local time: 04:14 PM
  • Interests:Member Since
    Jan 21 2005
  • Trailer Name:AZ Snowball

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:53 PM

We just got our Casita; am going to tow with our 2011 Escape V-6. Do any of you use leveling hitch arrangements?

I can't answer your question about Leveling Hitch Arrangements ( are you talking about Weight Distribution Hitches?). If so, I would NOT think you'd need it with a trailer that small. I've had (2) 17 foot Casitas and with the last one, I did use a Single Bar WDH and loved it. But, again, unless you're having handling problems I would think you'd need it.

May I ask about how you get the Patriot into the Garage? My maximum clearance, at the Door frame, is 82 inches. Do I have a short door, or do you have a higher one? Or, are the overall height dimensions on the Casita Web site wrong?

Thanks,

Keith Williams

Keith..... Your door is the standard 7'door on 90% f the homes..... My door is just shy of 8' and my 13'casita with below the closet air conditioner and hi lift axle and 15" tires to the top of the closed vent is 93.5"........the 16' model would be the same and a non hi lift axle would be 1.75" lower
Joe

Joe

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#18 anvilmanco

anvilmanco
  • Casita Club Member
  • 118 posts
  • Local time: 05:14 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:None at the moment
  • Interests:Blacksmithing, Travel (with the Casita and wife), life, woodworking, and lots of other things.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1340

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:08 AM

Thanks Joe,
I don't mean to hijack this thread, so perhaps I'll go over and start a new one, called "How can I get a Casita in past my stupid 7 foot Garage Door?"
So, that's what I'll do.
Thanks for your input.

EKW
Keith & Shirley Williams
No Trailer at the moment
2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport (TRD)
Honda EU2000i Generator
More wishes than money!
Casita Directory # 1340 - Aurora, Colorado

#19 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
    Jan 21 2005

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:52 PM

Keith,
I searched quite a while to find a house with an 8' garage door...... take a good look at your header and see if you can raise it to 8' and add a section to the door. I could try to measure from the brake drums up to see the total height and then add the height of two harbor freight dollies which should be about 2"
A new post on that subject would be great.....

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#20 infogypsy

infogypsy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts
  • Local time: 06:14 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Patriot

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

Getting ready to get a Kia Sportage LX 4 cylinder 2.0 l manual trans. To pull patriot. Hope it works!

#21 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
    Jan 21 2005

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:56 PM

Getting ready to get a Kia Sportage LX 4 cylinder 2.0 l manual trans. To pull patriot. Hope it works!

A2013 model shows a 2000lb towing capacity so if it has no shower should be fine with a shower it will be close. A single bar weight distribution hitch and sway bar would really be nice add on
(click on capacities)
http://www.kia.com/u.../specifications

the 2009 model shows a 1500 lb capacity which could get risky.... hopefully somebody here has better info than me

A call to this place could really help as they are a towing specialty place and they also show a higher towing capacity
http://www.etrailer....ia_Sportage.htm

Edited by Joe Z, 22 July 2013 - 02:01 PM.

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#22 Casita de Glenritas #1002

Casita de Glenritas #1002
  • Casita Club Member
  • 529 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:13' P.D. & 25' Airstream
  • Interests:Cars, Casitas & People
  • Casita Club Directory #:1002

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:11 PM

Our 2001 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe has been weighed many times when traveling and has always weighed 2500# with 250# on the tongue.

Be sure to check the tow rating of your vehicle at http://www.trailerli...-towing-guides/

Edited by Casita de Glenritas #1002, 20 September 2013 - 07:19 PM.

Glen & Jane #1002
2004 Chevy SSR & 2001 13' P.D.
2014 Tundra, 1998 Tahoe, 1957 GMC
1969 Airstream Trade Wind 25'
Shasta Lake, CA.