11 replies to this topic

#1 Bob in Redding

Bob in Redding
  • Casita Club Member
  • 54 posts
  • Local time: 11:16 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Luxury Deluxe

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:27 PM

Picking up our 17' LD in north county San Diego second week of September. Staying at Carlsbad SB, San Onofre SB, Carpenteria SB, El Capitan with a break house sitting in Montecito in Santa Barbara.

#2 DesertHawk

DesertHawk
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,898 posts
  • Local time: 12:16 AM

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:12 PM

Sounds Cool! We did a week plus a couple of days in Carp' State Beach in 2006. Had a great time. We did a overnight, tent camping, at Gaviota the year before. Neat areas.

DesertHawk* Las Cruces, New Mexico USA

2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper with Dinette Slide

160 watt Solar Panel, GoPower Solar Controller
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
Previously ~ 2005 16' Scamp

#3 Rob and Laura

Rob and Laura
  • Casita Club Member
  • 52 posts
  • Local time: 10:16 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:looking for a Casita
  • Trailer Name:Casita

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:56 AM

Do you have any tips for us? We're thinking about heading up to Cambria on the CA Coast from Orange County and would like to know some good campsites with hook ups. We haven't done any dry camping as it's pretty chilly in the evenings and we don't have a generator. So we're looking for hook up sites. Any suggestions would be so helpful! THanks!

#4 Bob in Redding

Bob in Redding
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

1. Carpenteria State Beach (south of Santa Barbara - in the Santa Rosa loop) there are beach side sites with power. file://localhost/Users/boblogan/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library/Masters/2012/05/08/20120508-152017/100_2558.JPG
2. Morro Bay SB has hook ups and is a beautiful place.
3. San Simeon State Park doesn't have any hook ups but is just north of Cambria.
4. Oceano Dunes has powered sites and is right off Pismo Beach. We have stayed there and really enjoyed the hikes to the beach as well as some of the restaurants there.
Those are the only sea side stops that I can see that have power. If you decide to stop at any of the other sites (go to Reserve America for your reservations - but you probably won't need to do some of these as they are first come first serve. Carpenteria will need reservations though. Since you are traveling in the winter (although it is California), I would put a comforter on the beds and then put another and your linen on top. My wife and I have used sleeping bags but like the comforter thing. We picked up some nice fleece comforters at Wal-Mart. As the Casita is so small is does warm up nicely in the morning when you're cooking breakfast. I have not been too crazy about taking our 17' Deluxe on Hwy 1 north of Cambria as that route is so windy and narrow. It is a beautiful drive is you have a sports car!

#5 Bob in Redding

Bob in Redding
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

Sounds Cool! We did a week plus a couple of days in Carp' State Beach in 2006. Had a great time. We did a overnight, tent camping, at Gaviota the year before. Neat areas.

Gaviota is now taking reservations in the summer and they take Casitas.

#6 Jasumo

Jasumo
  • Casita Club Member
  • 5 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' SD

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

I live in Morro Bay and the state park is lovely and it does have hook ups at some sites, but "the strand" state park at the north end of town does not. If I can answer any questions about this general area, let me know (and yes, I'm a surfer).
Best,
Jane

#7 Bob in Redding

Bob in Redding
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

Looking forward to Stand Up in the Bay. Friend turned me on to Central Coast SUP on the Esplanade. Haven't had a chance to get there yet though. Redding is a long way from Morro Bay and we usually have to continue south rather than take the side trip. This year!!!

#8 Bob in Redding

Bob in Redding
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

Regarding Carpenteria State Beach Campground...
Santa Rosa might have the powered sites but in the summer, it is very hard to get your Casita into on of their sites as the BIG RV's are all over it with side tents, slides, etc. You almost need to push it in the site as they are very narrow. They are trying to set up their sites diagonally so it would be easier to get in but they haven't done it yet. I have decided that off season is better there now.
Some of my favorites along the coast include:
San Elijo and South Carlsbad in North County San Diego but you will find it hard to get a Friday or Saturday date in the summer as they seem to go before you can get in at 8am the release date on the computer. San Elijo has some powered sites.
San Onofre (inland at the San Mateo site - SM rather than the Bluffs) is a great site and there is power at San Mateo. It can be fun to watch the marines do war games in the valley to the south of San Mateo camp sites.
San Clemente State Beach is a great place too and they have powered sites and good drive through sites. You are a good walk south on the beach to Trestles surf beach.
As a surfer, I have always liked Secos (Arroyo Sequit or Leo Carillo State Beach. You can tent on the beach or do one of their sites. Great surfing beach. It is best just off season after school is out.

#9 Steve & T

Steve & T
  • Casita Club Member
  • 54 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2010 SD 17

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:35 AM

For the Pismo Beach area, we like Pismo Sands RV Park in Oceano - full hookups & pull thru sites. We've used this park 3 times already (since picking up our Casita in Oct 2010) & plan to be there again in a few weeks.
Steve & Teresa

#10 Lane

Lane

Lane and the Poodle Girl

• Casita Club Member
  • 1,065 posts
  • Local time: 02:16 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Spirit Deluxe, 17
  • Interests:Travel, Photography, Wine, California, Foreign Language - Russian & German
  • Casita Club Directory #:2430

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:45 AM

Costs?
Has California lowered their rediculous prices for their State Park Camping? Last time I checked they were exorbitant!
I've driven the California Coast a number of times and love it. You're probably already considering Highway One. I do suggest taking Highway one southbound, particularly through the Big Sur area. That puts you on the Surf Side and allows the driver to see something other than the highway. At least in the Big Sur area, there are plenty of pull-outs and, as usual, the view is worth the stop. Highway one swings through San Francisco, ten o'clock is my prefered time to brave the City traffic. Highway one resumes just north of the Golden Gate, but the road is really twisty. I've done it with TV and Casita, but it's far from one of my favorite drives. The road through Two Rock Ranch to Bodega and Bodega Bay is a LOT lower stress. In Bodega Bay, there is both a State Park and a commercial RV park just north of town. I know the commercial park is nice with full hook-ups, but not on the beach. Highway One along that section of coast isbeautiful. I've always enjoyed Fort Ross, both for its beauty and historical perspective. I can't provide any perspective on the California State PDarks, I've avoided them since their prices skyrocketed. As a veteran, I have exercised the option of staying at military campgrounds , but I have no idea what this Sequestration nonsense will do to that option.

Lane and Phoebe, The Poodle Girl who detests the Snowy Plover's ability to close most of the beaches on which she could walk.
  • Bob in Redding likes this
Ray Lane Aldrich
Lane's Bait Shop at
web.me.com/lanealdrich/Lanes_Bait_Shop
Retired & Loving it
Back in NoVA after the West Coast
2007 17'SD & Navigator

#11 Bob in Redding

Bob in Redding
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

Costs?
Has California lowered their rediculous prices for their State Park Camping? Last time I checked they were exorbitant!
I've driven the California Coast a number of times and love it. You're probably already considering Highway One. I do suggest taking Highway one southbound, particularly through the Big Sur area. That puts you on the Surf Side and allows the driver to see something other than the highway. At least in the Big Sur area, there are plenty of pull-outs and, as usual, the view is worth the stop. Highway one swings through San Francisco, ten o'clock is my prefered time to brave the City traffic. Highway one resumes just north of the Golden Gate, but the road is really twisty. I've done it with TV and Casita, but it's far from one of my favorite drives. The road through Two Rock Ranch to Bodega and Bodega Bay is a LOT lower stress. In Bodega Bay, there is both a State Park and a commercial RV park just north of town. I know the commercial park is nice with full hook-ups, but not on the beach. Highway One along that section of coast isbeautiful. I've always enjoyed Fort Ross, both for its beauty and historical perspective. I can't provide any perspective on the California State PDarks, I've avoided them since their prices skyrocketed. As a veteran, I have exercised the option of staying at military campgrounds , but I have no idea what this Sequestration nonsense will do to that option.

Lane and Phoebe, The Poodle Girl who detests the Snowy Plover's ability to close most of the beaches on which she could walk.

Driver would be on the surf side if you were in an american car going Northbound on Hwy One through Big Sur. Tell me more about veterans camping! I thought that military campsites were for active or reserves or retired service men. I am a Viet Nam vet but have not used that yet.

#12 Lane

Lane

Lane and the Poodle Girl

• Casita Club Member
  • 1,065 posts
  • Local time: 02:16 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Spirit Deluxe, 17
  • Interests:Travel, Photography, Wine, California, Foreign Language - Russian & German
  • Casita Club Directory #:2430

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:31 PM

Vets & Views
Military Campgrounds are, indeed, as you thought. Retirees, Reserves, and Regulars. As far as I know, continued military status is a requirement. Veterans, despite the high value of their service, are not allowed to use the military campgrounds.
You are correct in your understanding of who's where along the coast. Big Sur, in particular, I find so curvy that I'm loath to look away from the road while northbound. Pulling into a view point requires turning and dragging my Little Plastic Trailer across a lane of oncoming traffic in often restricted visibility situations. Southbound I find it relatively easy to just pull over in a view point, almost always on the west side of that narrow, windy little ribbon that masquerades as a highway.
In any case, it's a beautiful drive. If you're really looking to take a Surf-ari, you can download the words from the Beach Boys songs from the Internet and ensure you hit them all from San Diego to the Ventura County Line (as far as I can tell and remember, that's the line between Ventura and Los Angeles Counties). After that, you're on your own, tho I do remember some rather nice looking rides along "Campus Point" at UCSB in Goleta, north of Santa B.

Lane and Phoebe, the Poodle Girl who wonders why we're sitting in Virginia waiting for snow showers when we really ought to be along the West Coast.
Ray Lane Aldrich
Lane's Bait Shop at
web.me.com/lanealdrich/Lanes_Bait_Shop
Retired & Loving it
Back in NoVA after the West Coast
2007 17'SD & Navigator