23 replies to this topic

#16 greybeard

greybeard
  • Casita Club Member
  • 129 posts
  • Local time: 10:37 PM
  • Interests:Photography, computing, hiking, travel.cooking

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:08 AM

We are on our maiden voyage with our recently purchased 2000 17' SD and are currently in Southern California, just outside of Sna Diego. We'd like to get to Quartsite but I am conerned about power. Is it a dry camping situation? We are not yet able to dry camp and I need power for a CPAP machine so at this time camping without power is not an option. Hopefully, in the near future.
Looking forward to a bit more information and hopefully we can make it if there is power available. It would be really nice to see how other Casita owners use their "home".
Thanks,
Richard. Carolyn and Dasiy

#17 Mark Watson

Mark Watson
  • Casita Club Member
  • 582 posts
  • Local time: 12:37 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 FD 17

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:21 AM

You might look through this web site of park reviews in the Quartzsite area. I have never camped in any of them so I'm not sure where they are located in regards to the Dome Rock area where the Casitas are camped (boondocked), which is about 4 or 5 miles west of Quartzsite on Interstate 10.

http://rvparkreviews...Quartzsite.html

Good luck, have a good trip.

Edited by Mark Watson, 04 February 2012 - 11:22 AM.

Mark Watson

Houston,Tx
2008 17' FD

#18 edharris

edharris
  • Casita Club Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:34 PM

Quail Run and Split Rail were two of the full service RV parks in downtown Quartzsite that caught my attention. It's not that far from either one to the Dome Rock dry camping area we'll be next week. I understand your concern for power to run your CPAP as I have the same issue. In any case, there are places to stay in town and then you can drive out to Dome Rock and see first hand how we cope with those kind of issues.

Harley's Driver

#19 greybeard

greybeard
  • Casita Club Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:21 PM

Looks good and we are hoping to be there, and I am a bit confused because I thought the Quartsite gathering was around Feb 14 but I cannot find it on the calendar and this thread is called the "pre" Quartzsite gathering, so is there a Quartsite gathering? Is it around Feb 14? Or is my memory doing that "thing" again?
We are booked here till near San Diego till Saturday and was hoping to go there from here, if there is going to be someone there, I hope.
Thanks again, Richard

#20 NomadWoman

NomadWoman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 395 posts
  • Local time: 11:37 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 SD 16 ft
  • Trailer Name:Eggcarto
  • Casita Club Directory #:2250

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:40 PM

Looks good and we are hoping to be there, and I am a bit confused because I thought the Quartsite gathering was around Feb 14 but I cannot find it on the calendar and this thread is called the "pre" Quartzsite gathering, so is there a Quartsite gathering? Is it around Feb 14? Or is my memory doing that "thing" again?
We are booked here till near San Diego till Saturday and was hoping to go there from here, if there is going to be someone there, I hope.
Thanks again, Richard

Richard, the Quartzsite gathering at Dome Rock is Feb 10 to Feb 12, the pre-gathering is at Buckskin Mountain State Park near Parker AZ. Hope this helps a little bit with "that memory doing that 'thing' again". Understand completely.

Edited by NomadWoman, 04 February 2012 - 07:42 PM.

Casita Down the Road
05 Tundra 4x2, 2000 Spirit DL
Spring can't come soon enough for some short outings.
Half the fun of the travel is the esthetic of lostness. ~Ray Bradbury
Emily's Adventures in Retirement

#21 greybeard

greybeard
  • Casita Club Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:21 PM

Thanks again, Richard

Richard, the Quartzsite gathering at Dome Rock is Feb 10 to Feb 12, the pre-gathering is at Buckskin Mountain State Park near Parker AZ. Hope this helps a little bit with "that memory doing that 'thing' again". Understand completely.

Ok, not all is lost :-) There is some memory available. Recall, however may be less than niminal :-)
Not knowing the area, if we get to Buckskin Sp, and stay there, how far is it to Dome Rock? I am assuming Dome Rock is in Quartsite and is dry camping.
We have a very flaky internet connection that is difficult to get and difficult to stay on otherwisde, I'd google the whole thing and try to figure it out myself.
I appreciate all the help and really look forward to seeing some other Casitas.
We are doing well considering our main resource for information has been this web site and our own experience. So far, lots of fun.
Thanks again.
Richard

#22 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Topic Starter
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:26 AM

Richard --

Sounds to me like you could use a GPS!

Here's a map to the EXACT spot where we'll be at Dome Rock, which is about 60 miles south of Buckskin. Click on QUARTZSITE GATHERING in the left sidebar and then zoom in on the map.

It is true dry camping, so you'll need water in your tank and either a generator or a solar panel, depending on how long you intend to stay.

Eileen
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#23 greybeard

greybeard
  • Casita Club Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:31 PM

Richard --

Sounds to me like you could use a GPS!

Here's a map to the EXACT spot where we'll be at Dome Rock, which is about 60 miles south of Buckskin. Click on QUARTZSITE GATHERING in the left sidebar and then zoom in on the map.

It is true dry camping, so you'll need water in your tank and either a generator or a solar panel, depending on how long you intend to stay.

Eileen

Thanks for ALL the information.
While we are in the area, we are not equiped or prepared for dry camping this early in our camping life. Hopefully we will get solar equipped before we are able to return and we will (I hope), then we can partake in true fashion.
Thanks again
Richard

#24 teacher retired

teacher retired
  • Casita Club Member
  • 673 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita Liberty/17

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:31 AM

I sent you a pm.