28 replies to this topic

#16 vermilye

vermilye
  • Casita Club Member
  • 438 posts
  • Local time: 03:02 AM
  • Interests:Photography, travel

Posted 27 November 2011 - 01:08 PM

I've been willing to live with the noise when dry camping under 40F. I often shut it off (or, if it is really cold out, turn it down to the 50's) when going to sleep, and fire it up on awakening to take the chill off. Even here on the East Coast it was great to have during a fall trip in PA & WV...

I do have a small electric cube heater & use it instead of the furnace when I have hookups.

#17 Sunny_0ne

Sunny_0ne
  • Casita Club Member
  • 77 posts
  • Local time: 04:02 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit Deluxe 17

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:39 PM

We've used our furnace several times in the past three weeks. It usually wakes me up a time or two when it comes on, but then I get used to it and don't hear it the rest of the night.

We are very glad we have it!

#18 andy101

andy101
  • Casita Club Member
  • 281 posts
  • Local time: 02:02 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17 SD
  • Trailer Name:"The Casita"

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:46 PM

Just to add my opinion..Get the furnace! It is not that loud...and when and if you overnight at a wal-mart or anyplace without hookups and its below 50 you will be grateful for the furnace.
Andy and Laura
"The Casita"#2926
2008,17SD
Las Cruces, N.M.

#19 ddistrict67

ddistrict67
  • Casita Club Member
  • 5 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:casita 17 sd

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:40 PM

I just bought a used casita with furnace, I was amazed at how quite it ran, I think anyone can't sleep with the furnace fan going should go back to their motorhomes. I run the AC fan or air fan just to have a sound to block out other noises around a camp ground.

#20 Karalyn

Karalyn
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:50 PM

I am looking for another Casita, and I would prefer a furnace. I usually have electric hookup, and can use an electric heater. if not having electric the fan on the furnace will not work anyhow. I still think it is nice to have one for resale value

#21 star gazer

star gazer
  • Casita Club Member
  • 58 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2006 17' Freedom Deluxe
  • Interests:Astronomy, traveling, boating, golf, etc.

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:50 AM

I am looking for another Casita, and I would prefer a furnace. I usually have electric hookup, and can use an electric heater. if not having electric the fan on the furnace will not work anyhow. I still think it is nice to have one for resale value

The furnace fan runs off of 12 volt, or the battery if not plugged in.

#22 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,358 posts
  • Local time: 12:02 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:34 AM

We bought our SD this past March and have used the propane furnace twice. It's very loud. I won't use it if I don't have to. We plan on doing a lot of dry camping, but on our last two trips, we had shore power, used a small electric heater that kept us warm and toasty.

The furnace would probably be a good thing for re-sale, but...are you buying it solely to resell? If so, get the furnace. If not, and you live in a moderate climate, go without. I live in the Carwash State (western Washington) where it's not only cold for much of the year, but wet, as well. That's the other thing, you want to keep the camper dry.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#23 Casita-Freak

Casita-Freak
  • Casita Club Member
  • 240 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita Spirit 17' 2012
  • Interests:Astronomy, CCD Imaging, Telescope making, Amateur radio WD5IKX, Photography, Reading
  • Trailer Name:Moonlight Manor

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

I purchased a used 2012 17' SD which had no furnace. I sometimes will be boondocking in the Casita when the temps drop below freezing so I am thinking of adding a furnace. Has anyone done this and was it an expensive and difficult upgrade?

#24 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 12:02 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

Casita-Freak --

Yes, it has been done. You can order the furnace from Casita. If you don't want to tackle the project yourself, go see Larry Gamble at Little House Customs in Yantis TX.

I wouldn't be without my furnace.

Eileen

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#25 teacher retired

teacher retired
  • Casita Club Member
  • 676 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita Liberty/17

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

I have a furnace and we've used it all winter. You really do get used to the noise. But the best thing I did was have Larry replace the stock thermostat with a digital thermostat.

#26 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,230 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17' SD
  • Interests:Family, home, traveling w/fiberglass trailer, computers, chess, short track stock car racing, bowling.

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:57 AM

Certainly do not mean to discourage anyone from getting Larry to do a job for them - I give him the highest recommendation for his work ... but ...

I recently replaced my OEM furnace thermostat with a Hunter Model 42995B. (There are other makes and models that will work also. Get a battery operated one.) The mod should take the average person no more than 30 minutes. By reducing the large temperature swings of the OEM analog unit the digital thermostat makes a significant improvement to your comfort when using the furnace.

PS0196.jpg

Don
Don & Sherian, 2017 GMC Canyon, SLT, crew cab, short bed, 3.6 V6, 8 speed auto trans
factory brake controller and anti-sway control. Made in USA. Custom Casita graphics.
07 Casita 17' SD w/HLA (Egg Motel, room for 2 - to go), also made in USA
Photos of our mods and other stuff: http://tinyurl.com/2dz93g

#27 Casita-Freak

Casita-Freak
  • Casita Club Member
  • 240 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita Spirit 17' 2012
  • Interests:Astronomy, CCD Imaging, Telescope making, Amateur radio WD5IKX, Photography, Reading
  • Trailer Name:Moonlight Manor

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

Just an update to this thread. While camped at Ft Griffin SHS in Texas I had several nights down around freezing. I decided to try the heat strip in the AC unit to see if it would "knock off the chill" as it is typically indicated as being able to do. I turned it on and went out to look through my telescope for about 30 minutes. I was not expecting much but when I went back in the Casita was up to 80°!!!!!! The heating strip works great. It might not keep do the job in Fargo or Fairbanks but it should work great most places. I have a small cube heater but the AC heat strip works better. My Casita does not have a gas furnace so I will still be cold while boondocking but I can be warm when I have an electrical hookup.

John
Casita-Freak
  • SKYTALKER likes this

#28 timeout

timeout
  • Casita Club Member
  • 33 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2010 Casita SD 16'

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:37 PM

We live near Glacier Park and like to camp there in the spring and fall, when the Park essentially belongs to us:) There are no hook-ups in the park. One of our biggest pleasures is going camping there, having a full day of hiking, sight-seeing, etc. and taking a hot shower that evening. There are few greater "little" pleasures than coming out of the shower into the warm and toasty main area. I don't know if lacking a furnace would add to resale potential, but I would think not having one could dissuade some potential buyers.

I'm in Whitefish and looking at the SD 16' and 17'. Any opinions or advice?

#29 mgrove

mgrove
  • Casita Club Member
  • 263 posts
  • Local time: 01:02 AM
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating,Ham radio, fishing, Traveling

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:32 PM

A small LP gas lantern will do wonders on a cold morning. Keep a couple of windows cracked to be on the safe side.