#1 Keith.B.Nimble

Keith.B.Nimble
  • Casita Club Member
  • 14 posts
  • Local time: 03:52 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:1995 Freedom Deluxe

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:18 AM

Hello everyone.

My name is Keith and I live in San Marcos, TX. Smack between Austin (the capital) and San Antonio (remember the Alamo). My wife and I just recently acquired a 1995 Casita Freedom Deluxe. The thing is neither one of us have ever done any camping in an RV so we have absolutely no idea what we are doing. Up till now we have done tent camping.

I have been doing a lot of reading on these forums and it seems pretty simple. I plan to plug her in tonight and hook up water and play with things a bit.

What I am really hoping to find is a repair shop that I can take my unit to. I really want one that specializes in Casitas. I have talked to the folks at camping world in New Braunfels but like I said I really would rather go where they specialize in Casitas. I have some minor things that I really would like to have someone take a look at. For example my door is curved and the bottom portion of the door doesn't seal tight. The seal on the window right next to the bathroom is not sitting in the track properly and maybe should be replaced. I have no idea what kind of condition the anode in the water tank is in. And in general I would just like a knowledgeable person to inspect it and see what they may find and suggest. I have contacted Larry Gamble and he has been very kind and suggested I post here. He is roughly 10 hours round trip from my location and I am willing to make the trip but still it would be nice to have someone closer.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Keith

#2 Essie and Gethereaux

Essie and Gethereaux
  • Casita Club Member
  • 103 posts
  • Local time: 04:52 PM

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:46 AM

One option, of course, is to call ahead, make an appointment telling them what you want them to look at, and then take it home to Rice. We took our "bought used" Rice for some check-up work, and were pleased with the results.
Janeen (Essie) & Bill (Gethereaux) Carrell -> KJ4ING
Max (Std. Schnauzer) & Isabel (Toy Fox Terrier)
Pleasant Hill, TN 38578
"...Eggspialidocious II!"
2001 17' Liberty Deluxe

#3 labcdef

labcdef
  • Casita Club Member
  • 105 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 Liberty Deluxe

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:00 PM

Keith, a great starting place would be to go the the casita forum and download a Casita Owner's Manual. It contains info on all equipment and drawings of plumbing, electrical etc. This would give you a lot of information in a small space and then you would be more able to pickup interesting info easier.
Randy
Martha & Randy Way
LaBelle, Fl
2011 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17'
TV Ford F150 SuperCrew

#4 Keith.B.Nimble

Keith.B.Nimble
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:09 AM

Essie and Gethereaux

I have thought of that. If it comes to having to decide between going to Camping World and to Rice I will definitely go to Rice. I am still hoping to get some time with Larry. I want to get the shower/kitchen sink mod done on my unit. I hooked up the water last night and found the shower head handle has cracks and leaks all over the place so now is a good time to do the mod.

labcdef

I have looked for the owners manual but all the ones I find seem to be for newer versions. For example my refrigerator has not buttons or switches on it at all. My battery is located under the seat in the cabin that makes up the bed and is not accessible from the outside of the trailer. My black and gray water discharge ports are not combined. My gray water port is a garden hose connector. Small stuff like that. The manuals are still valuable information just not exact.

It has been exciting just learning about my unit. I am really looking forward to doing some camping when the time comes.

This forum has been a great asset.

Keith

#5 DesertHawk

DesertHawk
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:18 PM

Hola from Las Cruces, New Mexico, just north of El Paso, TX.

Wow! No Expert Advise from here. However, for the run of the mill RV/Travel Trailer Things, A Reputable RV Repair Shop should work well. For fixing the Curved Door on an Fiberglass TT, I do not believe many RV shops would have a clue.

If you could get some Reviews of RV Repair Shops in your area, perhaps they would help locating a good and honest one.

As for your fridge, you say it does not have buttons or switches; have you looked at the bottom edge of the fridge with the door opened. It can be hard to see them with the door closed and not real noticeable. Ours is under the door down there, and our old '83 Komfort Lite's fridge had them there as well. If they are, you can select GAS or Electric and on some 12V and OFF. To light the gas, it will most likely have a 'button' like deal one has to push in. This has to be pressed in several times until the gas is lighted. It should have a 'peep-hole' there which will glow (maybe) green or red when it is on. It makes a spark each time it is pushed in or it should be doing so. Ours wouldn't light on one trip while at Bryce Nat'l Park. Not knowing what to do, I opened the back panel behind the fridge from the outside of the trailer (the Komfort Lite). Somehow I noticed a couple of electrodes back there. I gently pressed them closer together. It worked and kept working for many years and was still going when we traded it off. I believe I had to take a covering off as well as the 'door' panel to see them. But it has been umpteen years since this happened. Almost any RV dealership/shop should be able to get this going. Not just working, but ask them to show you how to do, where to look, etc.

The shower head handle should be a simple fix, you can buy a replacement at the CampWorld or any RV supply shop....maybe even Wal-Mart. I do not know what a shower/kitchen sink mod would be. Not a clue. The shower head is just a simple unscrew it, screw the new one on.

Our Scamp's black and gray water discharge ports are not combined as well, gray water is in the rear of the trailer, the black is in the front, under the toilet. Not sure about the "gray water port is a garden hose connector". We have a cover on our gray water port which has a garden hose connector on it, but the port cover can be taken off and the sewer hose can be attached to it as well. It did not come with it, I bought one with the garden hose connector on it. IMHO, the black water port does not need one. I like having the one for the gray. I have gotten used to have two discharge ports and like it better than have just one connected to the two.

Hope some of this might be of help as in hope it is presented in a clear enough manner to be understandable. :rolleyes:

You could just take your trailer to a state park or RV park close by and ask some of the RVers there a few questions, a camp host even. You will be amazed at how friendly & helpful RV folks can be. I am sure they can point out the right answers to most of your questions. Hopefully, someone in the San Marcos area will see your post and offer to show you some of the ropes.

Best of Luck with your project. Let us know how it all works out. Hope to see some camping reports and pics from your trips real soon.

DesertHawk
2005 16' Scamp Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailer
Side Dinette, Front Shower & Head
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart. -Confucius

Attached Thumbnails

• Texas Native.jpg
  • City+of+Rocks+State+Park.jpg
  • Between the Rocks.jpg

Edited by DesertHawk, 10 June 2011 - 10:44 AM.

DesertHawk* Las Cruces, New Mexico USA

2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper with Dinette Slide

160 watt Solar Panel, GoPower Solar Controller
Previously ~ 2005 16' Scamp

#6 Keith.B.Nimble

Keith.B.Nimble
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:55 AM

DesertHawk

I looked at the fridge again and still didn't find any buttons. However outside the Casita on the door side and next to the door there is a compartment with 2 knobs numbered 1 - 7 (I think its to 7) and one of them has a push button thing that looks like an electrical spark for a grill. The pushbutton appears to be broken since it does not click.

I also see 2 switches in the same compartment labled 12v (on/off) and the other 120v (on/off). So lets pretend those are the controls for the fridge. If I plug in external shore power does that mean I turn on the 120v switch and not anything else? And if I am not on shore power I should turn on the propane bottle and light the pilot light (while having 12v and 120v off)?

You are not the first person to point out that more than likely the RV shop will not know what to do about the curved door. Casita is about a 7hr round trip for me so I will take it there when the time comes.

The shower mod is available from Larry Gamble from Little house customes. http://littlehousecustoms.com/store Go down the page to BATHROOM & KITCHEN REMODEL KITS. Here is the whole forum post with lots of information http://www.casitafor...h__1#entry58102

Keith

#7 DesertHawk

DesertHawk
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:55 AM

Keith wrote, "I also see 2 switches in the same compartment labeled 12v (on/off) and the other 120v (on/off). So lets pretend those are the controls for the fridge. If I plug in external shore power does that mean I turn on the 120v switch and not anything else? And if I am not on shore power I should turn on the propane bottle and light the pilot light (while having 12v and 120v off)?"

Yes, This seems totally correct.

As for the "push button thing that looks like an electrical spark for a grill. The pushbutton appears to be broken since it does not click." There should be a kind of pop/click when it is pushed in. However, there should be a second knob or pushbutton next to it which must be pushed in and held in while the pushbutton lighter switch is quickly pushed in.

It it is not working, the electrodes might be space to wide for them to create a spark.

I decided to check the Scamp web site :ph34r: , they have some videos on how to do things. Check the "05 - Refrigerators", it shows two Refrigerators operations, the first one sounds much like what you described. It is for a 1.9 C.F. refrigerator. And is not like what I had been describing at all. Never had one like it.

http://www.scamptrai...ersManuals.aspx

Hope this will help. Yes, it is not a Casita, but the Appliances in TTs are often the same make if not very similar. Especially in the small ones.

For Shower Heads:
http://www.google.co...iw=1230&bih=690

At Camping World:
http://www.campingwo...rd&Nty=1&Ntpc=1

Wal-Mart didn't seem to have any.

JC Whitney:
http://www.jcwhitney...questid=3150375

The LittleHouse Customs' Bath Remodel Kit, only $129.95, would also work.

Edited by DesertHawk, 10 June 2011 - 10:42 AM.

DesertHawk* Las Cruces, New Mexico USA

2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper with Dinette Slide

160 watt Solar Panel, GoPower Solar Controller
Previously ~ 2005 16' Scamp

#8 Keith.B.Nimble

Keith.B.Nimble
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:26 AM

DesertHawk

That video was exactly what I needed. I do have the 1.9 cubit foot refrigerator. After watching the video I am glad to see that I was on the right track. I will test it tonight and hopefully it works. I am going to have to find a replacement push button switch for the propane since mine does not click at all.

Thanks again
Keith

#9 PRTexas

PRTexas
  • Casita Club Member
  • 680 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:09 AM

Keith, I don't know what your timeframe is for some of the issues but there's a rally in Austin that 20 or so Casita owners will be attending. I think Larry is going also. That would be a great place for you to get to know some other Casitans and get some quesitons answered. http://www.casitaclu...a-get-together/

Welcome to the forum and Casita ownership.

Reine

Edited by PRTexas, 10 June 2011 - 11:10 AM.

Paul and Reine
Plano, TX
2000 FD "new to us" in 2008
2008 Chevy Avalanche
traded the Chevy S10

#10 Keith.B.Nimble

Keith.B.Nimble
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:18 AM

PRTexas

I saw that. I plan to be there Friday night and Saturday night. That location is like 20 - 30 minutes from where I live.

Hope to meet you there.

By the way is PR Texas short for Puerto Rico?

Keith

#11 PRTexas

PRTexas
  • Casita Club Member
  • 680 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:24 AM

PRTexas = Paul and Reine in Texas. We're expecting our second grandchild around the time of the Austin rally. Grandbabies are higher on my priority list than rallies. If she shows up early and all is well, we may make a last minute decision to drive down.

Reine

Paul and Reine
Plano, TX
2008 Chevy Avalanche
traded the Chevy S10

#12 Keith.B.Nimble

Keith.B.Nimble
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:37 AM

PRTexas

I understand. We are expecting our second grandchild at the end of January. I wouldn't want to miss it either.

I am sure there will be other opportunities.

DesertHawk

That link to the Scamp site is wonderful. I am finding lots of information on the systems that I have in my Casita.

Keith

#13 bugeyedriver

bugeyedriver
  • Casita Club Member
  • 166 posts
  • Local time: 01:52 PM
  • Interests:Kids, Grandkids, Reading, Traveling, Irish Whistle, Dulcimer, Native American Flute, Photography

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:15 PM

Hi Kieth,

Welcome to the wonderful world of fiberglass campers! I live just down the way from you, in Boerne, and have come across a very nice, family owned business that does quality work on trailers of all sorts. While I don't have a Casita, my Oliver shares many of the same attributes. I have found "Boerne RV" to be very friendly and knowledgeable about all things, RV. I just picked up my trailer yesterday, after having them do a tricky installation on a Fantastic vent cover and an in place repair of an A/C condensate drain system. I've also had them install a macerator and effect some fiberglass repair from some unexpected damage. I believe you'd be well served by them.

It's owned by Ron & Deborah Zinsmeister. Their contact info is: 830-816-3883, or deborah@boernerv.com

Good luck and see ya down the road!!

Pete

Edited by bugeyedriver, 10 June 2011 - 08:16 PM.

Pete & Oscar the Smiley Dog
www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

#14 PRTexas

PRTexas
  • Casita Club Member
  • 680 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:52 PM

Another fun gathering of Fiberglass trailers is the Pine Knot Rally in Crockett in October. Lots of friendly folks there and within reasonable driving distance. Just be aware that Rallies can have the effect of increasing MOD FEVER - which can cost you some time and $$ - but is a really fun addiction to have.

Reine

Paul and Reine
Plano, TX
2008 Chevy Avalanche
traded the Chevy S10

#15 Keith.B.Nimble

Keith.B.Nimble
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 04:06 PM

Bugeyedriver

Thank you for the recommendation. I will definitely check them out.

PRTexas

I haven't been to a single rally and I already have mod fever. I think that is just how I make things mine. I mod it till it has what I like. It's not only for comfort but also an expression of me.

I tested my refrigerator yesterday. I threw in a wireless temp meter around 5:45pm. It started out around 92degrees. I went to bed around 11:30pm and it had dropped to 54. By 7:30am it was 34. However by 6pm it was up to 56. That was without opening the casita at all (ac not on and windows cracked open) and without opening the fridge door. Is that good? Somehow I think that it's not. Oh that was with the setting all the way at 7 (coldest setting), on 120v shore power.

Keith