• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RichC

RichC
  • Removed
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 07:48 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe 17' Plus
  • Interests:Sailing, Contra & English Country Dance, Ancient & Baroque music. Old friends.

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:15 PM

OK ! I'm old. Cranking the tongue up to remove the tow vehicle and down to level the Casita and then up and down again to re-attach the tow vehicle is getting old too. I am considing buying an electric jack and having it installed. Do any members have experience with eletric tongue jacks? I'd sure like to know which brands of jacks are good for Casitas and which are maybe not so good. Also how was the installation done and were you satisfied? How much does it cost? The XXX brand jack and the YYY installation.???

#2 Dennis The Menace

Dennis The Menace
  • Casita Club Member
  • 286 posts
  • Local time: 09:48 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' liberty
  • Interests:USMC,Traveling,people,
    light houses,
    fishing,sport shooting
    ,visiting old forts,History,
    motorcycles,eating,camping.
  • Trailer Name:it is what it is

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:04 PM

OK ! I'm old. Cranking the tongue up to remove the tow vehicle and down to level the Casita and then up and down again to re-attach the tow vehicle is getting old too. I am considing buying an electric jack and having it installed. Do any members have experience with eletric tongue jacks? I'd sure like to know which brands of jacks are good for Casitas and which are maybe not so good. Also how was the installation done and were you satisfied? How much does it cost? The XXX brand jack and the YYY installation.???

RichC,
I thought it was a waste of money and would never bother to get it.
So we are at the factory in Rice and there it is in front of me.Harold says try it. I try it and wow I like it a lot.
All installed and permantly wired. 3,000 lb lift. I should last a long time as it wont be straining at all.
Wife says with your bad back you dont need to be cranking up a heavy trailer.Get it she says.
She's smart,I got it included in our option list. I priced that unit later at home and I couldn't buy it for what they charged.234.00.installed.
Its kind of like having power windows in your car for the first time and thinking about the laborous window cranks in your old one.
Dennis

Now someone jump in and tell RichC what brand to get ,etc.

Dennis and Bess
RV: 2011 17' Casita Liberty  "it is what it is "
TV: 2005 Grey Chevolet Tahoe 5.3 V8 replaced with 2016 cherry red, RAM Bighorn 5.7 V8 CC pickup.
Curt class IV hitch, Curt Anti sway bar,T-P3 brake controller, Cobra 29 CB & weather radio.

"Once in awhile it really hits people that they don't have to experience the world

in the way they have been told to.  -Alan Keightley

#3 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,073 posts
  • Local time: 06:48 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:55 PM

This topic is being discussed at www.CasitaForum.com right now. You need to be signed in as a member to read it.

http://www.casitafor...h__1#entry63882

Eileen
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#4 vermilye

vermilye
  • Casita Club Member
  • 386 posts
  • Local time: 10:48 PM
  • Interests:Photography, travel

Posted 04 June 2011 - 07:22 AM

I have one on a 17' Escape - It makes using a weight distribution hitch much easier.

#5 hardyandjudy

hardyandjudy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 70 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe 17'
  • Interests:Square Dancing, Geocaching, Travel, Reading, Genealogy
  • Trailer Name:Nuestro Huevo

Posted 04 September 2017 - 06:04 PM

I took a look at that casitaforum posting mentioned above. It mentioned an electric jack from Harbor Freight, item#69899, $139.99.  I went down to my local store this afternoon, found one, and had it bolted on a couple of hours later. I poked the wire through the hole where the umbilical cord enters the casita and am now waiting for daylight to make the splice in the Casita's closet. There is a strain relief on the outside that can be loosened with two screws, and a gob of sealant in the closet on the other side. I used a stiff wire to poke a hole through the sealant and pulled the jack's power wire through.

Hitching up and unhitching may still not be much fun but it should be a bit easier!

Hardy & Judy Pottinger
MO TX MT
2007 17' SD "Nuestro Huevo"
2004 Chevy Silverado

#6 trainman

trainman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 37 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2017 Independence Delux
  • Interests:Hiking, Site Seeing, Eating, Model Trains, Exploring New Areas, Enjoy Company With Friends
  • Trailer Name:The Caboose

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:31 AM

I took a look at that casitaforum posting mentioned above. It mentioned an electric jack from Harbor Freight, item#69899, $139.99.  I went down to my local store this afternoon, found one, and had it bolted on a couple of hours later. I poked the wire through the hole where the umbilical cord enters the casita and am now waiting for daylight to make the splice in the Casita's closet. There is a strain relief on the outside that can be loosened with two screws, and a gob of sealant in the closet on the other side. I used a stiff wire to poke a hole through the sealant and pulled the jack's power wire through.

Hitching up and unhitching may still not be much fun but it should be a bit easier!

I got a sale brochure from Harbor Freight yesterday and that jack is on sale for $99.00. Sometimes sales are just local, so you would have to check in your area.

trainman