5 replies to this topic

#1 Rich&Gina

Rich&Gina
  • Casita Club Member
  • 55 posts
  • Local time: 02:30 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe 17ft

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:07 PM

Well it was one of those calls that you don't like to hear. "Dad, where did you say that 4way lug wrench was?" My son borrowed our Casita this weekend for a camping trip with his friends. He was quick to tell me everything was OK and there was no damage to the Egg. They had left camp and got about 10 mile from home when it happened. He said that they felt it, but did not notice hardly and difference in the handling, that made me feel good about what would happen with a blowout. They were going about 60 mph when it happened. The tow vehicle is a 2004 Honda Pilot. After checking the spare when he got to the house this afternoon, I realize that these were the original tires. They were manufactured 26th week of 2004. I am going to get 3 new tires this week, since we are headed out for a 3 day trip next weekend. There was no damage to the trailer except that it took the cover off of the outside plug, but I would imagine that will not be hard to replace. One of my son's friends that was with him actually works at a place in Nacogdoches that services RVs. He told my son that the Casita had to be pretty tough. He said most RVs that come in with a blowout, usually have extensive damage. I got all the rubber marks off of the trailer with about 20 minutes of scrubbing. Now I am sure I will be reading the forums for several hours, trying to find recommendations on tires. I though about replacing them when I bought it a few weeks ago, but had not got around to it yet. Just thankful everything turned out OK, and it actually made me like my Casita a little more, I did not think I could like it any better :D

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4875.JPG
  • IMG_4876.JPG

#2 Ed/Helen Pensacola

Ed/Helen Pensacola
  • Casita Club Member
  • 54 posts
  • Local time: 03:30 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:16' Spirit Delux

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:00 AM

Had the same thing happen to me in January. Going about 60 mph and noticed a drop in spped and it felt like you were going over the rumble strips on the sides of interstates. The tire was a lot more tore up than your photo. I could not get the jack under the frame. AAA to the rescue. I went and got new tires the next day.

#3 Ed Harris

Ed Harris
  • Casita Club Member
  • 342 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:11 AM

I was shocked too when I had a blowout last year and the trailer handled well.
My tire was also shredded and scraped the wheel well a little but I never lost control.

Then while changing it on the side of the interstate and being honked at the entire time is where I started to lose control?
Did they think I wanted to be there?
2002 Casita 17FD
1982 FiberStream 16'
Down to 2 for now!
KC0UKR-Easy Dog

I can stop anytime....Really!

#4 Don in OKC

Don in OKC
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:43 PM

Yes.......Ahhhhh.......reports are that a Casita handles well during a blowout......Ahhhh many reports.....
Don in OKC - (Useta have a) 2000 16' LD, 98 Chrysler T&C

#5 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,696 posts
  • Local time: 01:30 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Casita SD 17'

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:49 AM

I also had a blowout recently at about 60 mph and the trailer did handle very well and luckily no damage to the trailer.
Joe

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#6 Dallas Gary

Dallas Gary
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit 16' Standard

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:43 PM

The max life recommended is 5-7 years. Goodyear will warrant the tire 5 years from the date of purchase ( maximum 7 years from the date of manufacture) with a receipt of the tire purchase. It is recommended to change the tires 5 years after installing them no matter the mileage.