22 replies to this topic

#1 f_stop

f_stop
  • Casita Club Member
  • 615 posts
  • Local time: 06:31 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:16' spirit deluxe

Posted 14 May 2011 - 03:11 PM

hey! i have a little patriot if anyone wants to ask questions, talk about how great/awful they are...share mods...

p@

natchez trace.jpg
  • SkyJean and Lazy-B like this
"peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from the gods"
kurt vonnegut, the sirens of titan

#2 bobc

bobc
  • Casita Club Member
  • 16 posts
  • Local time: 03:31 PM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:16 AM

Congratulations! We have been looking for a Patriot and wanted to know the actual size of the bed when the dinette is down. We have heard it is 44" and then 48" Could you measure your Patriot and let us known.

Thanks,

BobC

#3 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Interests:Member Since
    Jan 21 2005
  • Trailer Name:AZ Snowball

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:39 AM

Congratulations! We have been looking for a Patriot and wanted to know the actual size of the bed when the dinette is down. We have heard it is 44" and then 48" Could you measure your Patriot and let us known.

Thanks,

BobC

It is 44" but all you have to do is slide the lowered dinette board forward 4" and cut a 4" filler piece of plywood at the rear to make a 48" wide bed ........my 16' casita is the same bed as the 13" and that's what i have done.
Joe

Edited by Joe Z, 16 May 2011 - 08:44 AM.

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#4 f_stop

f_stop
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 615 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:45 AM

It is 44" but all you have to do is slide the lowered dinette board forward 4" and cut a 4" filler piece of plywood at the rear to make a 48" wide bed ........my 16' casita is the same bed as the 13" and that's what i have done.

well...not exactly. from the back wall to the end of the fridge cabinet on one side and the the end of the sink cabinet on the other side measures 45". true, you can extend the back cushions (the ones with the floppy ends) out a few more inches but i really can't see the benefit of an extra few inches of mattress in the isle space. oh, and the dinette table really won't extend into the isle very much before it bumps into the fridge door...

p@

#5 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Interests:Member Since
    Jan 21 2005
  • Trailer Name:AZ Snowball

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:10 PM

well...not exactly. from the back wall to the end of the fridge cabinet on one side and the the end of the sink cabinet on the other side measures 45". true, you can extend the back cushions (the ones with the floppy ends) out a few more inches but i really can't see the benefit of an extra few inches of mattress in the isle space. oh, and the dinette table really won't extend into the isle very much before it bumps into the fridge door...

p@

Your more than likely right as you have the 13' right there with you.
Joe

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#6 dnalb

dnalb
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 02:31 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:13' Patriot deluxe

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:01 AM

I just purchased a 13' Patriot Deluxe a couple of weeks ago - haven't picked it up from the previous owner yet.
I have a couple of questions about the unit:
(1) Is there a safety issue with the battery being located inside the coach under the drivers side dinette seat? Usually the advice concerning batteries is to keep them away from any sparks, etc. due to the flammable nature of the battery gases.
(2) How does one gain access to the batterry to check fluid levels, to remove the battery, etc.?
(3) Does the toilet have its own blackwater tank? If so, how is it drained separate from the grey water tank? I only noticed a single drain valve at the side of the trailer.
(4)What's the possibility of relocating the battery to the outside of the trailer? Would that be a hard thing to do?
(5) I didn't see any safety break-away for the trailer brakes. Did I just miss seeing it, or does the 2002 trailer not have one? Can one be added?

We're looking forward to our first trip in the little trailer! We just down-sized from a 19' Rockwood trailer because we wanted something smaller to tow with our 2007 Saturn Vue six-cylinder, and because of limited space for storing the unit. We'll miss the storage space the bigger trailer had but think we can adjust to the new environment.

New owner

#7 f_stop

f_stop
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 615 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:29 AM

welcome to the wonderful world of patriot camping. first of all... get used to the attention that it draws. you will grow very tired of the word "cute" (even tho it really is kinda...)

(1) Is there a safety issue with the battery being located inside the coach under the drivers side dinette seat? Usually the advice concerning batteries is to keep them away from any sparks, etc. due to the flammable nature of the battery gases.

my '05 came equipped with battery box with a lid vent hole that was connected by a flex pipe to an external vent. i'd say this is most likely adequate but the weak link is the hose clamp connection where the flex hose meets the lid of the battery box.

(2) How does one gain access to the battery to check fluid levels, to remove the battery, etc.?

"access" to the battery is thru the hole in the top of the seat base on the driver's side. the hole with the wooden filler board. "access" sort of depends on how you define it. if you mean you can actually see the battery (almost), then yes, you have "access". if, on the other hand, you mean you can actually do something like check fluid levels then "access" is limited and if, heaven forbid, you actually need to remove the battery, then i laugh at your "access". seriously, i had to enlarge that hole to remove the original battery. it was so problematic that i replaced the eom battery with one of those 6 pack looking gel batteries that require no fluid checking.

(3) Does the toilet have its own blackwater tank? If so, how is it drained separate from the grey water tank? I only noticed a single drain valve at the side of the trailer.

yes, the toilet does have a blackwater tank. the drain valve you saw on the side of the trailer is the blackwater drain. they gray drain is separate on the same side a little farther toward the rear and it looks like a standard garden hose bib with another valve. i modified my drains so that both empty out of the same drain (the original blackwater drain) this is a pretty common mod and is discussed in detail on this and the other forum. while you're at it you'll most likely want to do the famous "fast drain gray" mod which involves venting the gray tank which will actually increase your gray tank capacity and make it drain quicker. and while we're on the subject of valves & such...you may already know, but...there's a hard to reach valve under the front of the trailer (behind the propane tanks) that you need to open before you take a shower or else you'll be standing in ankle deep water. you need to remember to close this valve when you break camp or else gray water may slosh it's way from the holding tank to the shower floor.

(4)What's the possibility of relocating the battery to the outside of the trailer? Would that be a hard thing to do?

yes, you could relocate the battery. i've seen them moved to the tongue and to the rear. both methods would require a trip to the welding shop for some supports and then a bit of wiring which, as far a wiring goes, is pretty simple. it would also be an opportunity to increase the size of the wire involved which would be a good thing.

5) I didn't see any safety break-away for the trailer brakes. Did I just miss seeing it, or does the 2002 trailer not have one? Can one be added?

the breakaway on my 05 is on the curb side of the frame just in front of the propane thanks. it's just a small cylindrical affair with a pin on one end and wires on the other (going to the wheels). i have no idea when the breakaway switch became standard, nor do i know anything about adding one. seems to me tho since everything is electric it shouldn't be that hard (that kind of thinking has gotten me in way over my head more that a few times). if you find that you do not have one you might want to post a "how do i..." topic on the forums since with that device, it'd be the same regardless of trailer length.

storage is always an issue. i've pretty much worked out a system that keeps the trailer packed with "essentials", added shelves in the closet over the a/c and under the sink and even added a shelf over the curb side window for a radio, a few books, etc... the truck is packed with all the rest of the stuff.

keep us posted on how that first trip goes....have fun!!

p@

#8 breckenridge

breckenridge
  • Casita Club Member
  • 456 posts
  • Local time: 04:31 PM
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, canoe, road/mtn biking, telemark skiing & cooking
  • Casita Club Directory #:2934

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:03 PM

Can not add anything specifically to what f_stop posted.

After a number of years tent & VW pop-top camping wife & I bought a 13ft Casita Patriot/Deluxe in 2008 and loved it. We made numerous month+ long trips and enjoyed them all. Storage space was challenging, but found a lot of the stuff we never used/needed.

We towed our 13ft with a 2003 Subaru Forester 5spd manual and never had any problems--granted many folks did pass us but we still got where we were going and got 20MPG.

In 2010 we sold the 13ft and bought a new 16ft Casita LD as we are going to take some very extended trips to AK, Baja and points east. We posted the 13ft 'for sale' here and in less than a week it was sold for almost what we paid.

Do not know what your vehicle towing capacity is rated but a 16ft Casita is only marginally heavier than a 13ft Deluxe:
13ft
Dry WT: 1880
Hitch WT: 245
16ft
Dry WT: 2185
Hitch WT: 245

Congrats on your purchase & most of all enjoy!
13' Patriot Deluxe/2008: Sold
16' LD/2010
Nissan Xterra Off Road/2009
Bianchi Nirone C2C/2009
Specialized HardRock Sport 29 MtnBike
Mad River 14' Canoe

#9 Vistoso Vecinos

Vistoso Vecinos
  • Casita Club Member
  • 64 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:13' Patriot Deluxe

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:18 PM

Hi f_stop, We are having a 13' Patriot delivered; I believe it is coming Thursday. Today we had a hitch added to our 2011 Escapce (is the V-6) and the wiring done as it did not have the "tow package" from the dealer. My question is how short a tow bar cam I use? I do not know what the shortest would be but I think shorter is better.......... At this point am not certain about the drop I will need; Sitting without the trailer hitched I think I am going to need a 1" or 2" drop......luckily Walmart is close :) We have had two extra passengers at time and their weight would be about 300 lbs. and the Escape hardly showed any drop in the rear. Your advice will be appreciated.
Larry & Brenda

#10 f_stop

f_stop
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 615 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:24 AM

larry...

as well as i remember the top of the hitch ball should be around 22" from the ground. and, i'm not sure what a tow bar cam actually is so i'd rather not comment on it. if you're speaking of the part that slides into the receiver in the tow vehicle, then yes, as short as it can be would be best. in the interest of full disclosure i'll say that i sold my patriot to move up to a 16 footer last year. one thing i can say for sure is that you'll enjoy your patriot... they're wonderful little trailers.

p@

#11 2009

• Casita Club Member
  • 51 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2009 Patriot 13ft

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:05 PM

How in the world does one get good at backing a little Patriot?

#12 f_stop

f_stop
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 615 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:54 AM

How in the world does one get good at backing a little Patriot?

practice! and go very slow backward. keep in mind that a small amount of steering wheel turn makes for a lot of change of direction with the trailer. an empty parking lot is a great place to practice slowly.

p@

#13 2009

• Casita Club Member
  • 51 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2009 Patriot 13ft

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:39 AM

One time I can't seem to back at all. Next time I get it on the first try. Then I go again and GRRR I am embarrassed. I laugh and chalk it up to my age.

#14 f_stop

f_stop
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 615 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:38 AM

I laugh and chalk it up to my age.

great attitude! believe me...you'll get better and better at backing up with time & practice. most of us went thru that long learning curve. i know i did and have the bent sway bars to prove it.

p@

#15 yellowskydog

yellowskydog
  • Casita Club Member
  • 38 posts
  • Local time: 05:31 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 Casita 17' Deluxe
  • Interests:Irish Water Spaniels, agility, obedience and hunt tests
    Travel, many things still on the bucket list
    Family and church
    Teaching, retired but still active doing occasional assignments

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:50 AM

5) I didn't see any safety break-away for the trailer brakes. Did I just miss seeing it, or does the 2002 trailer not have one? Can one be added?

I have a 2000 SD which I bought used. It did not have a breakaway switch when I bought it but I had one added to the tongue by a local trailer shop.