• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chontherogue

chontherogue
  • Casita Club Member
  • 21 posts
  • Local time: 05:30 AM

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:50 PM

Hello everyone. We would like to take our Casita on a trip to Yosemite this coming June. We have been searching the internet for RV places outside the park but nearby. Does anyone have any favorite stops they can recommend. We would like full hookups but electric and water might be enough for 3-5 days. Thanks.
Calvin

#2 Lois Rhodes

Lois Rhodes
  • Casita Club Member
  • 35 posts
  • Local time: 09:30 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2010 17' Liberty DL
  • Interests:Hiking, reading, photography

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:44 AM

We stayed at the Mono Vista RV Park in Lee Vinings, CA, which is on the east side of the park, across the highway from Mono Lake. We had a grassy site on the highway side, where we had lovely sunrise and sunset views across the lake. I know we had water and electric hookups at our site, but may not have had sewer hookups - we were in our Aliner then, and wouldn't have needed it. It may be that only the interior sites have full hookups. But the staff was nice, and they had good laundry and shower facilities. Reservations are definitely recommended.

Lee Vinings is convenient for access to the Tuolumne Meadows area (lovely), but is a long way from Yosemite Valley. So you may want to plan a stay on each side of the park. Regardless of where you stay, be prepared for a LOT of people! I was shocked at how much more crowded the park had become since our last visit in the 80's. We found that we needed to get to trailheads early if we wanted a parking place. However, once we up the trails, away from the trailheads, the crowds diminished, and we were able to enjoy the magic of the place again.

Enjoy your trip!

Lois
2010 17' Liberty DL
Smyrna, GA

#3 thetravelkids

thetravelkids
  • Casita Club Member
  • 281 posts
  • Local time: 08:30 AM
  • Casita Club Directory #:2583

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:16 AM

We stayed at the KOA Mariposa / Yosemite a few years ago. Like most KOA's, a bit pricey, but most likely the closest you'll find to Yosemite. The park is actually in Midpines, Ca which is about 7 miles from Mariposa heading toward the park entrance. Fill up with fuel in Mariposa as the fuel was (is??) expensive once you are in the park.
You can read the reviews for this park HERE

Edited by thetravelkids, 15 March 2011 - 07:16 AM.

Bob & Pat
2012 Evergreen Element ET26SLR - "Ms Ellie"
2007 Casita 17' SD, gone but not forgotten
2012 Ford Expedition Limited
Visit us at www.katrinacasita.wordpress.com
Posted Image

#4 csgcampbellca

csgcampbellca
  • Casita Club Member
  • 11 posts
  • Local time: 05:30 AM

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:20 PM

We have stayed at Indian Flats Camground a couple of times. $37-42 a night with hookups.
It's a short drive to Yosemite.
http://www.indianfla...comodations.htm
Les & Carole
Casita 2005/17' Spirit Deluxe/TW 2008 Chevy Silverardo

#5 Mark Watson

Mark Watson
  • Casita Club Member
  • 426 posts
  • Local time: 08:30 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 FD 17

Posted 19 June 2011 - 06:30 AM

I'll second Indian Flats campground on hwy 140.
It's closer to Yosemite than the KOA on hwy 140.
Stayed there February of 2010.
By the way, Yosemite in February is great if you can be there between winter storm fronts passing through, no crowds whatsoever.
Real close to Yosemite entrance gate, can drive into and out of Yosemite and back "home" real quickly.
Prices were reasonable for February, and place was kinda deserted.
I think they offer some kind of package to use the excercise room at a nearby lodge.

It is kind of a rustic campground.
Drawback was the showers were stopped up.

But I was there for 3 nights and needed only water and electricity. I had my shower facilities with me. Slept like a log and isn't that what Casita camping is all about?
Mark Watson
Denton,Tx
2008 17' FD