9 replies to this topic

#1 nojive

nojive
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 05:14 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:liberty 16

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:54 PM

I dont know where to get this info on each model and has it varied over the years? thanks nojive

#2 Dennis The Menace

Dennis The Menace
  • Casita Club Member
  • 286 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' liberty
  • Interests:USMC,Traveling,people,
    light houses,
    fishing,sport shooting
    ,visiting old forts,History,
    motorcycles,eating,camping.
  • Trailer Name:it is what it is

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:24 PM

I dont know where to get this info on each model and has it varied over the years? thanks nojive

Hi, This might help you.
The Casita website has the weights of the trailer and tonge weights on the 2011 units.I wouldn't think they have changed much.
AS for a TV ,figure 16' you need a 3500lbs tow rated vehicle and a 17' you might want a vehicle that is rated for 5,000 lbs to be safe.
Don't forget you have to be able to stop safely.

Dennis and Bess
RV: 2011 17' Casita Liberty  "it is what it is "
TV: 2005 Grey Chevolet Tahoe 5.3 V8 replaced with 2016 cherry red, RAM Bighorn 5.7 V8 CC pickup.
Curt class IV hitch, Curt Anti sway bar,T-P3 brake controller, Cobra 29 CB & weather radio.

"Once in awhile it really hits people that they don't have to experience the world

in the way they have been told to.  -Alan Keightley

#3 Indy-hp

Indy-hp
  • Casita Club Member
  • 333 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:48 AM

I agree with Dennis. I doubt the weights have changed ten pounds over the years because Casita has been extremely consistent in building their eggs.

The CasitaTravelTrailers.com website has the no-option "dry " weights and tongue weights for all six models, 13', 16' and 17', standard and deluxe (with bath).

If you are estimating real-world camp-ready "wet" total weight, don't forget to add weight for gear and provisions, water in the fresh water tank and water heater, propane, and any options, like an awning.
Henry & Debbie
2010 Honda Ridgeline

#4 WtMtJim

WtMtJim
  • Casita Club Member
  • 184 posts
  • Local time: 03:14 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:16' FD 2010

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:01 AM

I have to emphasize what others here have said. The factory stated "dry weight" does not include options, fluids or personal "stuff". As an example, our 2010 16' Freedom Deluxe (means it has a bathroom) is shown in factory literature with a "dry weight" of 2185 lbs. After adding a furnace, Interior Convenience package, Accessory package, sway bar, Fantastic Fan, aftermarket microwave, water heater upgrade,but NOT an awning, and all holding tanks empty but with limited personal "stuff" we have been weighed twice at two different rallies and we are at 3,300 lbs. Even with only a 16' we are within 200 lbs of the rated axle capacity. I have to believe most 17' deluxe models out there are over their axle capacity of 3,500 lb when fully optioned and with fluids. Additionally, the 16' models are known for being light on tongue weight. With two full propane tanks and a 25lb tool box on the tongue we are just barely at 10% of total trailer weight which is the low end of the recommended percentage tonque weight for a trailer. From my experience towing this rig over 18000 miles now, I have to agree with those who recommend a 5,000 lb minimum tow capacity, especially for a 16' or 17' model. If you get a 13' standard (no bath), lightly optioned, you can probably get by with the 3500 lb tow capacity. Just be sure to match the capacity and ability of the tow vehicle to the size and realistic weight of the trailer you will be towing.
White Mountain Jim
(Jim & Alice)
2010 Casita 16' FD - "Egg'Scape Pod"
2005 Toyota 4Runner V8 - sway bar & air bag suspension helpers
"The road is always better than the inn." - Cervantes

#5 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,269 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:47 AM

After adding a furnace, Interior Convenience package, Accessory package, sway bar, Fantastic Fan, aftermarket microwave, water heater upgrade,but NOT an awning, and all holding tanks empty but with limited personal "stuff" we have been weighed twice at two different rallies and we are at 3,300 lbs. Even with only a 16' we are within 200 lbs of the rated axle capacity. I have to believe most 17' deluxe models out there are over their axle capacity of 3,500 lb when fully optioned and with fluids.

By comparison, my 17SD has all the options above, less microwave, plus awning. I had mine weighed at an official truck stop scale with empty holding tanks, 25 gallons water plus 6 gallons hot water, I had just filled both propane tanks, and had my personal liveaboard stuff aboard. Weight came to 3,240 lbs, with a tongue weight of 320 lbs.

My '99 Toyota 4Runner was weighed at the same scale. Loaded with a 65 lbs kayak, bicycle and the usual gear the Toyota weighed 4,320 lbs, for a combined total of 7,520 lbs when on the road. Not sure if the additional weight of 320 lbs tongue wt on the axle might overload the Toyota. Airbags have kept the vehicle level.

My hat's off to the little 3.4L V-6 that has been pulling this combo for the last eight years throughout the West.

Ed

Edited by Dutchman, 25 February 2011 - 05:49 AM.

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#6 WtMtJim

WtMtJim
  • Casita Club Member
  • 184 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:53 AM

After adding a furnace, Interior Convenience package, Accessory package, sway bar, Fantastic Fan, aftermarket microwave, water heater upgrade,but NOT an awning, and all holding tanks empty but with limited personal "stuff" we have been weighed twice at two different rallies and we are at 3,300 lbs. Even with only a 16' we are within 200 lbs of the rated axle capacity. I have to believe most 17' deluxe models out there are over their axle capacity of 3,500 lb when fully optioned and with fluids.

By comparison, my 17SD has all the options above, less microwave, plus awning. I had mine weighed at an official truck stop scale with empty holding tanks, 25 gallons water plus 6 gallons hot water, I had just filled both propane tanks, and had my personal liveaboard stuff aboard. Weight came to 3,240 lbs, with a tongue weight of 320 lbs.

My '99 Toyota 4Runner was weighed at the same scale. Loaded with a 65 lbs kayak, bicycle and the usual gear the Toyota weighed 4,320 lbs, for a combined total of 7,520 lbs when on the road. Not sure if the additional weight of 320 lbs tongue wt on the axle might overload the Toyota. Airbags have kept the vehicle level.

My hat's off to the little 3.4L V-6 that has been pulling this combo for the last eight years throughout the West.

Ed

Ed,

Your post reminds me of another variable. You travel solo, right? There are two of us. I've found that when you double the number of people traveling together, you quadruple the amount of "stuff" you have to take. Especially if one of them is of the female persuasion. (OMG did I just say that? I'm in trouble now. Don't tell Alice!) But I have to believe that the very minimal weight difference between your 17' & my 16', in large measure is due to the extra stuff required by having a second occupant. Either that or I'm carrying "heavy water" in my hot water tank.
White Mountain Jim
(Jim & Alice)

#7 CalCop

CalCop
  • Casita Club Member
  • 117 posts
  • Local time: 02:14 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:FD 17'
  • Trailer Name:Bacon 'N' Egg

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:18 AM

Hey Jim was the trailer weight taken after you installed the happy face balls?

#8 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,269 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:16 AM

[/quote]

Ed,

Your post reminds me of another variable. You travel solo, right? There are two of us. I've found that when you double the number of people traveling together, you quadruple the amount of "stuff" you have to take. Especially if one of them is of the female persuasion. (OMG did I just say that? I'm in trouble now. Don't tell Alice!) But I have to believe that the very minimal weight difference between your 17' & my 16', in large measure is due to the extra stuff required by having a second occupant. Either that or I'm carrying "heavy water" in my hot water tank.
[/quote]

Don't worry, my lips are sealed. Yes, have 50% more room traveling alone in my Casita. Hmm, being a guy that should mean I have 90%, oops, indeed less stuff aboard :lol:

Ed

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#9 WtMtJim

WtMtJim
  • Casita Club Member
  • 184 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:31 AM

Hey Jim was the trailer weight taken after you installed the happy face balls?

Geeze, I'll never live that one down!

Yeah all you QZ tent jokers out there, I have installed my smiley balls (easiest mod I've done so far). You're all just jealous that I got two balls for a buck. . . I better stop while I'm behind. "First rule of holes - when you find yourself in one, stop digging."
White Mountain Jim
(Jim & Alice)

#10 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,249 posts
  • Local time: 02:14 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:46 AM

Ed,

Excuuuse me? Did you say (a woman would) quadruple the amount of stuff you carry? :blink:

Well, actually, I have to confess to carrying more stuff BUT what Jack carries is heavier. In our case, it's more like two to one for the amount of things. But consider shoes - 3 pair of mine would probably equal one pair of his. His shoes are as big as boats! Of course, when you consider food and drinks, the amount does seem to increase much more than is necessary for just one more person. I'm sure I pack more choices than either of us would take traveling alone. So OK, you're kinda right. :)
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.