• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 CA Pam

CA Pam
  • Casita Club Member
  • 35 posts
  • Local time: 09:55 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:LD 17' My Pooched Egg
  • Interests:Dog agility, hunting/hunt tests, gardening, travel, friends, SF 49ers

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:56 PM

I just ordered by 17' LD today!! I'm excited. I've never had a trailer before and am looking forward to the adventure!
The salesperson told me that if I'm going to get a WDH (I am) that there is a mod required of welding the hitch to the tongue of the trailer. Requires removing the propane tanks.
This is the hitch I am considering.
Click here: Equal-i-zer 400/4,000 4-Point Sway Control Hitch - Weight Distribution Hitches - Hitches - Towing & Automotive

Any input on using this particular hitch, or any info on WDH in general? Is the mod needed for all types of WDH?

Thanks!

#2 DirtDawg

DirtDawg
  • Casita Club Member
  • 312 posts
  • Local time: 08:55 PM

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:44 PM

Hi Pam,

Congratulations! Unless Casita has changed policies recently, they stock and will only install the Curt 17000 WDH upon delivery in Rice. The Curt (or any equivalent twin spring-bar WDH) requires installing Curt Item #4 "Snap-up Bracket Assembly" using a custom weldment spacer due to geometry of frame tongues on Casita trailers. The Equal-i-zer WDH design touts no separate sway control required, so factor that on your Casita order if you go that route. In any case, an adapter weldment spacer would still be required for that Equal-i-zer product. You might consider the lighter duty Draw-Tite 3205 single arm WDH which requires no welding, but usually needs minor modifications to fit crosswise on your trailer tongue.

Me? I ordered my 17SD with sway control and had a Curt 17000 installed by Casita. It works well (actually overkill for my tow vehicle) but as a do-over, I'd likely choose sway control in combo with the lighter duty single arm WDH. You have time to research forum posts and decide...

Edited to add a couple of representative weldment pictures:

WDH bracket 002.JPG
WDH bracket 003.JPG

Edited by DirtDawg, 28 January 2011 - 09:35 PM.

"DirtDawg" Jeff
Camarillo, CA

2010 17 SD - DawgHouse II
2006 Nissan Frontier 4x4 Nismo
2000 Jeep "TJ" Wrangler

#3 RichS

RichS
  • Casita Club Member
  • 200 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:32 AM

I have one of these hitches. It is fantastic!!!! I did not move my tanks and it works fine! I don't think you can get a better WD Hitch.
Rich S & Deb G
2006 17' Libertry Deluxe
2001 Montero Sport

#4 Bill & Karen

Bill & Karen
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,688 posts
  • Local time: 12:55 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 17' SD Inneggsisle
  • Interests:kids and grand kids
    traveling,and camping
    auto museums and shows
  • Casita Club Directory #:1193

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:56 PM

These pix are of the single bar, works very well with the 17'ers and with no welding

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0009 (Small).JPG
  • DSCN0010 (Small).JPG

Bill & Karen Sarasota, Fl. Love being Inneggsile

#5 Greg & Ann

Greg & Ann
  • Casita Club Member
  • 408 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:(usetaowna) Spirit 17
  • Interests:Re-re-retired 6/2012. I spend my idle hours flying, home improvement projects, travelling, western movies, teaching, old west history, BBQ'n, and of course, camping!

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:12 AM

I have a single arm Reese and don't think it does the job. I ordered a Curt and the adapter Casita has fabricated for it and will be putting it on my trailer soon.

Greg
Lompoc, CA
'02 17' SD/ '10 Tacoma
"Casita owners of the world, unite!"

#6 travlinbob

travlinbob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 687 posts
  • Local time: 10:55 PM
  • Interests:Family, travel, surfing the web, researching historical places and events, maps and charts, travel, cars, sailing, light sport aircraft and photography.
  • Casita Club Directory #:3005

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:42 AM

Greg, you have peaked my curiosity concerning the “Curt adapter Casita has fabricated”. When you get it, please post pictures of the adapter alone, then again once it is installed.

When I fabricated the brackets for my Curt WDH I copied those done at the Casita Factory. Looking at DirtDawgs factory installation of his brackets in post # 2, Casita has changed the way they were doing them before by adding another thickness of channel iron then boxing the ends in. I assume this was to clear the propane tanks more effectively.

An after market assembly, fabricated by Casita, would be an excellent way for them to answer the many requests for double arm WDH’s after delivery of their trailers.

If in fact Rice does not have an expectable alternative to the weld on brackets, this may be something for someone else to consider designing and pre-fabricating for the after market.

Bob

09 C17SD "Rancho Casita", high lift axle, and 15" load range "D" Marathons
01 Chevy Blazer and 07 Trail Blazer

#7 Ray & Donna

Ray & Donna
  • Casita Club Member
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:Traveling, camping, hiking, backpacking, photography, road cycling, golf and skiing.
  • Casita Club Directory #:2103

Posted 30 January 2011 - 10:31 AM

I just ordered by 17' LD today!! I'm excited. I've never had a trailer before and am looking forward to the adventure!
The salesperson told me that if I'm going to get a WDH (I am) that there is a mod required of welding the hitch to the tongue of the trailer. Requires removing the propane tanks.
This is the hitch I am considering.
Click here: Equal-i-zer 400/4,000 4-Point Sway Control Hitch - Weight Distribution Hitches - Hitches - Towing & Automotive

Any input on using this particular hitch, or any info on WDH in general? Is the mod needed for all types of WDH?

Thanks!

What will your tow vehicle be?

Ray & Donna
Poway, CA (San Diego County)
'07 17' Spirit Deluxe
TV 2014 GMC Sierra Double Cab 4x4
2178015780010355611JUiNmH_th.jpg2910660630010355611nHUxji_th.jpg2603207630010355611VxyYCp_th.jpg

#8 CA Pam

CA Pam
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 35 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:LD 17' My Pooched Egg
  • Interests:Dog agility, hunting/hunt tests, gardening, travel, friends, SF 49ers

Posted 30 January 2011 - 10:45 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies. Lots to think about.
I have a 2003 Toyota Highlander V6

#9 Horace & Dianne

Horace & Dianne
  • Casita Club Member
  • 105 posts
  • Local time: 11:55 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17SD

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:00 AM

CA Pam

We also use the Equal-i-zer brand weight distribution hitch, however it is a 600/6,000 system, since they did not make the Equal-i-zer 400/4,000 4-Point Sway Control Hitch when we purchased ours.

I had the bracket made and we carried them with us to Rice, Texas when we picked our 17 SD in 2008. Casita welded the bracket to the trailer tongue but I had to do all of the adjustments on the Equal-i-zer, but it took us about 45 minutes to get everything adjusted. I have used Reese WDH's for 40 years but this WDH made by Equal-i-zer is much supperior and I would not go back to any other brand, but that is my opion.

The brackets are constructed using two sections of channel iron (same as the Casita Trailer tongue) 3inches wide by 6 inches long. Then I just welded the Equal-i-zer bracket to the channel iron, of course I cut off the bolt on sections.

I have attached two pictures they may help. If you have any questions please let me know and I will try to address them. Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails

• Equalizer WDH front installed view (Small).jpg
  • Equalizer WDH rear installed view (Small).jpg

Horace & Dianne
Chesapeake, VA
RV: 2008 17SD
TV: 2003 Toyota Sequoia

#10 Greg & Ann

Greg & Ann
  • Casita Club Member
  • 408 posts
  • Interests:Re-re-retired 6/2012. I spend my idle hours flying, home improvement projects, travelling, western movies, teaching, old west history, BBQ'n, and of course, camping!

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:05 PM

Greg, you have peaked my curiosity concerning the “Curt adapter Casita has fabricated”. When you get it, please post pictures of the adapter alone, then again once it is installed.

When I fabricated the brackets for my Curt WDH I copied those done at the Casita Factory. Looking at DirtDawgs factory installation of his brackets in post # 2, Casita has changed the way they were doing them before by adding another thickness of channel iron then boxing the ends in. I assume this was to clear the propane tanks more effectively.

An after market assembly, fabricated by Casita, would be an excellent way for them to answer the many requests for double arm WDH’s after delivery of their trailers.

If in fact Rice does not have an expectable alternative to the weld on brackets, this may be something for someone else to consider designing and pre-fabricating for the after market.

Bob

The adapters are exactly what DirtDawg is showing in his photos. I was curious because the arrived in a box with no explanation on how to install them. Now I know! (Thanks DirtDawg).

Greg
Lompoc, CA
'02 17' SD/ '10 Tacoma

#11 Ms. Patti

Ms. Patti
  • Casita Club Member
  • 76 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17' LD

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:19 AM

I had the factory install the Curt WDH when I picked up my Casita two weeks ago (to the tune of $494.00). Although, I have to give them credit for trying to talk me out of spending the money on something they said I definitely did not need.

I almost fell to the ground when I saw the size of the hitch after they installed it! It's huge and heavy. When I got home, I had to have my brother take it off my truck for storage.

Even though it is overkill and a PIA for me to handle, I feel better having it.

Patti
Patti & Gang (Tootie, Bootie, Little Doggie, Sammie)
17' LD - "The Patti Wagon"
2006 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab with Topper

#12 Bill & Karen

Bill & Karen
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,688 posts
  • Local time: 12:55 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 17' SD Inneggsisle
  • Interests:kids and grand kids
    traveling,and camping
    auto museums and shows
  • Casita Club Directory #:1193

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:04 AM

I have a single arm Reese and don't think it does the job. I ordered a Curt and the adapter Casita has fabricated for it and will be putting it on my trailer soon.

Greg

:( thanks for telling me, I've towed our trailer a bit over 30,000 miles with it and didn't realize it wasn't doing its job :D

Edited by Bill & Karen, 01 February 2011 - 05:11 PM.

Bill & Karen Sarasota, Fl. Love being Inneggsile

#13 Bobinyelm

Bobinyelm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,316 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:31 AM

Greg

:( thanks for telling me, I've towed our trailer a bit to 30,000 miles with it and didn't realize it wasn't doing its job :D

Remember, much of this is perception, and beside, both of you tow with different vehicles that could affect that perception.

The Single Bar Reese works for a lot of people, so does the two-spring type.

Maybe after installing the Curt, Gregg will see a noticeable improvement, and maybe he won't.

I hope he'll report back. I don't know of anyone else who has swapped, and therefore could give impressions of BOTH when used on the same exact towing equipment.

Bob

#14 travlinbob

travlinbob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 687 posts
  • Interests:Family, travel, surfing the web, researching historical places and events, maps and charts, travel, cars, sailing, light sport aircraft and photography.
  • Casita Club Directory #:3005

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:45 AM

Greg, thanks for your response. Bob

09 C17SD "Rancho Casita", high lift axle, and 15" load range "D" Marathons
01 Chevy Blazer and 07 Trail Blazer

#15 Greg & Ann

Greg & Ann
  • Casita Club Member
  • 408 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:23 PM

Greg

:( thanks for telling me, I've towed our trailer a bit over 30,000 miles with it and didn't realize it wasn't doing its job :D

Cute. I'm happy as heck for you Bill and Karen. The world needs a few more wise guys. If you call a hitch that leaves the rear of my Tacoma a full 3 inches down after engaging (AFTER I had the rear end of the truck beefed up), then I'm happy for you.

Greg

Edited by Greg & Ann, 02 February 2011 - 03:23 PM.

Lompoc, CA
'02 17' SD/ '10 Tacoma