11 replies to this topic

#1 Ed/Helen Pensacola

Ed/Helen Pensacola
  • Casita Club Member
  • 54 posts
  • Local time: 11:04 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:16' Spirit Delux

Posted 22 January 2011 - 03:07 PM

We have a 2007 SD with ST20575R14. One blew out today. No problems in controlling the egg. A question, why do you need to check lugnut torque every 200- 500 miles. I have been driving over 50 years and never rechecked lug nuts on the car

#2 Glenn Wolfe

Glenn Wolfe
  • Casita Club Member
  • 59 posts
  • Local time: 01:04 AM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 03:23 PM

Glad you got everything safely stopped and under control. So I can learn from your experience, could you describe the circumstances of your blowout? Were you at highway speed (60)? How did you know it happened -- did you see it in your mirrors or "feel" it? What kind of tow vehicle? What kind and size of tire? Do you by any chance have the TST tire monitor system on your trailer?

No answer to the lug nut question. I'm afraid I haven't followed this rule very well.

Thanks,
GW

Edited by Glenn Wolfe, 22 January 2011 - 03:24 PM.

Glenn Wolfe
2010 17 FD
TV-07RAV4 6cl

#3 Indy-hp

Indy-hp
  • Casita Club Member
  • 333 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 22 January 2011 - 04:38 PM

When I was a kid, dad nearly lost a wheel off our pop up camper on the Interstate when the lug nuts started coming off. Passing vehicles caught dad's attention and he pulled over with 2 loose nuts still holding the wheel on.

Don't know why it happened to dad, but I check mine before every trip. Better safe than sorry.

The every 200-mile thing is just for the first 500 miles, while the lug nuts are first getting seated.
Henry & Debbie
2010 Honda Ridgeline

#4 Ed/Helen Pensacola

Ed/Helen Pensacola
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:02 AM

Glad you got everything safely stopped and under control. So I can learn from your experience, could you describe the circumstances of your blowout? Were you at highway speed (60)? How did you know it happened -- did you see it in your mirrors or "feel" it? What kind of tow vehicle? What kind and size of tire? Do you by any chance have the TST tire monitor system on your trailer?

No answer to the lug nut question. I'm afraid I haven't followed this rule very well.

Thanks,
GW

The cruise was set at 63 and the TV is a 07 Town and Country. The tire was a Goodyear ST20575R14. The speed dropped to about 50 and there was a vibration like when you run over the rumble strips on the edges of the interstates. The air pressure was checked when we broke camp earlier. Thank goodness for AAA. I could not get the camper jacked. It was on a right slope and the right tire went out. The frame was about 6" from the ground. There was hardly any tire left on the rim. I have a bottle jack, could not get it under the frame and I could not turn the scissor jack to raise the camper. May need to get a better crank. AAA used a floor jack and had no problem. I really would not like to drag mine around because of the weight. I you have not had a flat you should see whar needs to be done to raise the camper in all situations.

Also thanks to the FL Highway Patrol. An officer with his lights on stayed until we were on the road again. Going to Wally World to get at least 2 or maybe 3 new tires this AM.

#5 Glenn Wolfe

Glenn Wolfe
  • Casita Club Member
  • 59 posts
  • Local time: 01:04 AM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:46 AM

Thanks for the update. Just glad you got everything stopped and handled safely. Were you able to connect with AAA by cellphone or did the state patrol assist with that?

GW
Glenn Wolfe
2010 17 FD
TV-07RAV4 6cl

#6 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,619 posts
  • Local time: 09:04 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Casita SD 17'

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:49 AM

When i install a new tire i also check it every couple hundred miles.... after that just every so often. I do know that the wheel is not (not sure of the exact term) "Center specific" meaning when you put it on the trailer there is no center axle lip sticking out a little bit to keep the wheel "centered" unlike a car when you put it on it stays on that lip...... the casita trailer relies on the lugs to keep it "Centered" thus check the torque especially the first 500 miles...... I once had my lugs come loose on the trailer and all the wheels holes became "Egg Shaped".
Joe

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#7 Ed/Helen Pensacola

Ed/Helen Pensacola
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:00 AM

Thanks for the update. Just glad you got everything stopped and handled safely. Were you able to connect with AAA by cellphone or did the state patrol assist with that?

GW

We called them on our cell. When the state police stopped, he also called and bugged them a bit. May have helped. We waited about 1/2 hour for the repair.

Edited by Ed/Helen Pensacola, 24 January 2011 - 03:01 AM.

#8 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,832 posts
  • Local time: 09:04 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:12 AM

Ed --

Were those the original Goodyear Marathon tires that came with the Casita in 2007?

If so, you're lucky you got that many years out of them. Sounds like tread separation.

Eileen
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#9 Ed/Helen Pensacola

Ed/Helen Pensacola
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:16 AM

Ed --

Were those the original Goodyear Marathon tires that came with the Casita in 2007?

If so, you're lucky you got that many years out of them. Sounds like tread separation.

Eileen

Yes they were. They had an 06 manufacturing date. I guess you need to get ne tires every four years or so.

#10 Chris Z

Chris Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 788 posts
  • Local time: 12:04 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' SD

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:37 AM

GW
Just to add a little peace of mind - I also had a blowout of my passenger side original Marathons on Interstate and probably 65mph or so and the description of running over rumble strips is what I remember too.
#2077 Louisville, Ky
2006 Black Chevy Suburban
2005 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

#11 Bill & Karen

Bill & Karen
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,688 posts
  • Local time: 12:04 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 17' SD Inneggsisle
  • Interests:kids and grand kids
    traveling,and camping
    auto museums and shows
  • Casita Club Directory #:1193

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:26 PM

If you follow the Casita Forum you probably saw the post where the Maxxis Bravo UE168 LT 205R14C trukmax tire p/n TL12458 is now available again from Gripton Tires. Those of us who were lucky enough to be able to get these before they stopped importing them have had no problems at all, I have run them about 35,000 miles and "the travel kids have about the same miledge on theirs with no probs. They are pricier than ST tires but much better quality

Bill & Karen Sarasota, Fl. Love being Inneggsile

#12 friz

friz
  • Casita Club Member
  • 614 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:16' LD

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:40 PM

When my last tire blew, I went 5 miles before I saw that it was gone, and riding on the rim.
I had noticed that something was slowing me down a little, like a headwind. The rim was still usable.