• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 SteveH

SteveH
  • Casita Club Member
  • 439 posts
  • Local time: 06:07 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 17' SD
  • Interests:Camping, Hunting, Fishing, Radio Control Aircraft, Kayaking, Photography, Travel

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:21 PM

I've had several LED lights in my Casita for a good while, but not all of them have been replaced. When I read a thread where Arizona Eileen had listed a source for the bayonet base bulb for the stove cover, I decided to buy some.

They came in today, and before I installed them, I got to wondering just how much current/battery power I was saving by using LED bulbs. I know that a typical indicator LED draws about 50 milliamps at about 1.5 volts, but I did not know about these high power/high lumen 18 LED bulb replacements, so I decided to do some tests. Armed with a 12 volt battery and an ampmeter, this is what I learned.

A typical 1141 incandescent bulb used in our stock fixtures = 1.45 amps

An 1156 incandescent bulb (a little higher power than 1141) = 2.1 amps

An 1003 incandescent blub (a little lower power than 1141) = .94 amps

An 18 LED "warm light" replacement bulb ........................... = .197 amps

So, the 18 LED replacement "bulb" uses about 13.5% of the power of an 1141 incandescent bulb.

Just thought you might want to know.
Regards,
Steve

#2 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,822 posts
  • Local time: 04:07 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, musea, traditional jazz music, piano, full timer.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:06 PM

In practical terms, your battery hardly knows they're on. :)

The old 1141s and 1156s were hot, especially during warm summer days. LEDs nice and cool.

btw, I had several 1156s - one bulb melted the outside lens, the other melted a hole in an inside cover. Tossed 'em. 1141s are better, but glad I switched to all LEDs.

Thanks for your post.

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !

#3 tedinkc

tedinkc
  • Casita Club Member
  • 728 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe 17
  • Interests:Discover America, get off the Interstate.

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:25 PM

This is really good to know. Thanks for doing the testing.

Ted

Ted & Cindy 04 17ft FD (Dragon Egg)
2011 Red Mercedes Sprinter 2500 (Dimpled Dragon)
IMG_2969.jpg

#4 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,907 posts
  • Local time: 03:07 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:43 AM

@Steve: Thank you so much for calculating the usage. The timing couldn't be more perfect for a couple of reasons. One of them is that I'll be ordering my stove light this week. (http://www.ledtraile...dge-compact.htm)

@Ed: Good to know about what damage to expect from the 1156s. Isn't the "standard issue" bulb a #1141?

Eileen

PS: Thanks again to Tayside (Maurice) for sharing his resource for the LEDs. (www.ledtrailerlights.com)

Just happened to notice that they also carry "Tethered Tire Valves." What a great idea! Why aren't all valve caps made like that?!
http://ledtrailerlig...her/capsure.htm
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#5 SteveH

SteveH
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Hunting, Fishing, Radio Control Aircraft, Kayaking, Photography, Travel

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:57 AM

@Steve: Thank you so much for calculating the usage. The timing couldn't be more perfect for a couple of reasons. One of them is that I'll be ordering my stove light this week. (http://www.ledtraile...dge-compact.htm)

@Ed: Good to know about what damage to expect from the 1156s. Isn't the "standard issue" bulb a #1141?

Eileen

PS: Thanks again to Tayside (Maurice) for sharing his resource for the LEDs. (www.ledtrailerlights.com)

Just happened to notice that they also carry "Tethered Tire Valves." What a great idea! Why aren't all valve caps made like that?!
http://ledtrailerlig...her/capsure.htm

Eileen, Yes the 1141 is the standard bulb for our light fixtures. I tested the 1156 and the 1003 because I had them in my "pile", and they will fit in the same socket. The 1141 calculates to be about 20 watts, and the 1156 about 25 watts.
Regards,
Steve

#6 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,696 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Casita SD 17'

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:07 AM

LED's are great energy savers and for those of you that don't like the bluish white light they omit that is because they are "Cool White"..... If you want more of that yellowish original light, look for "Warm White"
Joe

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#7 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,907 posts
  • Local time: 03:07 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:39 AM

IKEA just announced that they would no longer be selling incandescent bulbs. Won't be long before other stores follow suit before they 'have' to.

Betcha next year that'll be one of the upgrades Casita makes to their interiors -- all LEDs.

Eileen
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#8 Bobinyelm

Bobinyelm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:35 AM

IKEA just announced that they would no longer be selling incandescent bulbs. Won't be long before other stores follow suit before they 'have' to.

Betcha next year that'll be one of the upgrades Casita makes to their interiors -- all LEDs.

Eileen

I suspect that 12v bulbs (or any bulbs not designed to run at 110VAC) will be exempted from any such ban.

#9 SteveH

SteveH
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 439 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:54 PM

Eileen

I suspect also they are focusing on flourescent replacement bulbs for the incandescents. The too are more energy efficient.

The problem is as I hear it, because of something that is used in the florescents, the EPA will not let them be manufactured in this country, so all of the florescent replacements are made in China. So much for keeping jobs in America. :angry:
Regards,
Steve

#10 Don in OKC

Don in OKC
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:56 PM

Save a few of your 1157 and similar bulbs to show your (great)grandchildren when you have a 'show and tell' about the olden days.

Come to think of it, remember when automotive electrical systems were 6 volt ?!.......

.....and VW bug gas tanks were located right above your knees..... and had no 'gauge'.

Come to think of it the rear passenger seat was directly above the battery.

......ahh, the good old days......... before OHSA. :rolleyes:
Don in OKC - (Useta have a) 2000 16' LD, 98 Chrysler T&C

#11 Bobinyelm

Bobinyelm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:52 PM

I suspect also they are focusing on flourescent replacement bulbs for the incandescents. The too are more energy efficient.

The problem is as I hear it, because of something that is used in the florescents, the EPA will not let them be manufactured in this country, so all of the florescent replacements are made in China. So much for keeping jobs in America. :angry:

I saw recently where the Congressman who introduced the Bill that outlawed incandescent bulbs is now going to be the Chairman of the Commission that formerly came up with the ban, and plans to try to rescind the ban on the grounds that it presents an economic hardship for America, that it is a waste of resources (manufacturing the bulbs takes more energy and resources than are saved by them), and because they produce hazardous waster (mercury) that is polluting landfills with the mercury seeping down to the water table and contaminating our drinking supplies. In addition, they are finding that when CFLs are turned on/off repeatedly, their lives can actually be far shorter than "long life" (2000 hour) incandescent bulbs, leading to even more environmentally unacceptable waste of resources in manufacturing. I do know we've replaced several of the new CFL bulbs where they get cycled a lot, plus the "3-Way" bulbs that cost about $8 each go out awfully quickly, and we've given up on them as too expensive.

Another factor on saving energy is that if you live where you are heating your home, the so-called "wasted" electricity is merely turned into heat (at 100% efficiency) that helps you heat your home, meaning you will use LESS energy in you furnace that is produced at at 60% efficiency or less, overall, meaning in cool weather, using CFLs can actually result in MORE overall energy use by far.

http://www.holistich...angers-of-cfls/

Various states are considering how to enforce possible laws making it a crime to dispose of the CFLs.

I guess we will see what happens.

The laws of unintended consequences always has precedence!

Bob
*One family was charged $2000 for EPA approved cleanup after a CFL broke inside a home in Maine, but now they publish approved ways of home-clean-up that only requires evacuating the room for 15-20 minutes while the mercury disappates, if the clean-up is done to EPA rules. See:http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,309220,00.html

Acceptable Procedure:
What you need to know before you bring home the bulbs:
Go to a website such as Earth911.org before bringing the bulbs home to find the closest recycling center for the bulbs. In our area, more than 10 local places came up, although the EPA reports CFL recycling or collection points lag 5 years behind demand for the bulbs. Keep bulbs out of the reach of your children, just as you would any other toxic substance like paint or home cleaners.
Dispose of bulbs in the proper manner - by sealing them in a plastic bag and taking them to a recycler that handles hazardless household wastes. If recycling is not possible, seal bulb in a plastic bag and place in regular trash.
If you break a bulb: DO NOT VACUUM! Doing so disperses particles even more and then traps the mercury in your vac bag - possibly to be dispersed each time you use your vacuum after that! Keep children and pets away from the ventilated area for at least 15 minutes so vapors can evaporate. Clean up by hand using disposable materials including disposable rubber gloves and a stiff piece of cardboard to collect the pieces by sweeping them onto the board with damp paper towels. Put pieces and cardboard into a sealed plastic bag. Perhaps the greatest danger you are exposed to is broken glass!

Read more at Suite101: The Dark Side of Light Bulbs: Educate Yourself on the Dangers of Using the new CFLs http://www.suite101....8#ixzz1AxyfzHee

Edited by Bobinyelm, 13 January 2011 - 04:58 PM.

#12 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,822 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, musea, traditional jazz music, piano, full timer.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:54 PM

[
.....and VW bug gas tanks were located right above your knees..... and had no 'gauge'.

[/quote]

There were these two ladies, both with VW beetles: One couldn't get her bug to start, opened the hood and exclaimed: "Oh my goodness, someone stole my engine !" To which her friend replied: "Don't worry, Mildred, I have a spare engine in the trunk"

Old 60's joke from someone who's had three Beetles, and a brand new VW bug sold for $1,800.- :D

Oops! Sorry I hijacked the thread. I was LED astray :huh:

Edited by Dutchman, 13 January 2011 - 05:00 PM.

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !

#13 Bobinyelm

Bobinyelm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:07 PM

[

There were these two ladies, both with VW beetles: One couldn't get her bug to start, opened the hood and exclaimed: "Oh my goodness, someone stole my engine !" To which her friend replied: "Don't worry, Mildred, I have a spare engine in the trunk"

Old 60's joke from someone who's had three Beetles, and a brand new VW bug sold for $1,800.- :D

My first New Beetle in 1961 cost just over $1200, but of course you could buy a brand new Ford Mustang in 1965 for about $2350, or A New Ford Pinto in 1971 for $1950.

Of course, my first job out of college w/ my shiny new physics degree earned me the princely sum of $700 per month, or $8400 per year.

In 1964, a quarter would buy a gallon of gasoline, though today that same quarter will actually by a gallon and a half of gasoline.

EVERYTHING has changed, in one way or another.

#14 Lane

Lane

Lane and the Poodle Girl

• Casita Club Member
  • 1,065 posts
  • Local time: 07:07 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Spirit Deluxe, 17
  • Interests:Travel, Photography, Wine, California, Foreign Language - Russian & German
  • Casita Club Directory #:2430

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:19 PM

LED Astray?

That's BAAAAAD.

SteveH, thanks for running the tests and publishing the numbers, It's nice to have something that appears factual at which to point when I feel self righteous about putting LEDs in my trailer.

Dutchman, I'm with you, anything that extends my battery life is good.

Contentious point, the law of unintended consequences, and the need to look at the WHOLE picture. Incandescent bulbs are hot, radiate heat, considered a bad thing, particularly in the summer when we're worrying about shade and air-conditioning. Perhaps not such a bad thing in the winter when every little bit of heat helps. Does it really make much difference? Probably not, either season.

Compact Florescent Lights. Did anybody else ever wonder why we never saw then available as replacements for the incandescent lights in our trailers? In our 12V Casita world, we've skipped an entire generation of light bulbs.

Lane and Phoebe, the Poodle Girl, who doesn't seem as concerned about light sources as I.
  • LarryTB likes this
Ray Lane Aldrich
Lane's Bait Shop at
web.me.com/lanealdrich/Lanes_Bait_Shop
Retired & Loving it
Back in NoVA after the West Coast
2007 17'SD & Navigator

#15 JAmysdad

JAmysdad
  • Casita Club Member
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, reading, museums, camping, getting away from the responsibilities of home ownership.

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:29 PM

I have replaced all my incandescent bulbs with leds except the one over the stove (I took the range hood out and plugged the hole with a Casita sign) and the hitch light. The incandescent bulbs are noticeably brighter. I check my battery level every morning when boondocking and there is only a slight change in the battery charge now compared to when I was totally incandescent.

As for the gas gauge on the VW. When the gas got low and the engine would start to sputter, I would take my foot off the accelerator peddle and flip over the handle that came out of the floor just at the fire wall and go on "reserve." Good for another 50-60 miles!
Rick n Linda
2005 17 SD "Our Beach House,
Desert Shack, and Mountain Cabin."
TV 2011 4.7 Dodge Dakota
"Been in all 50 states"