#1 Robere

Robere
  • Casita Club Member
  • 91 posts
  • Local time: 07:35 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2010 17' SD HLA
  • Interests:nature, jazz, history, and friendly people

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:55 PM

I've been curious if balancing the Casita tires is essential. Do you have any experience pro or con? We have 6000 miles on our 2010 SD without having balanced the tires and have not had any handling problems nor unusual wear patterns. Unless there is a safety or tire life issue I'm reluctant to have the tires balanced at $12.50 per unit. Did you balance yours? Did anything change? What persuaded you to balance your tires?
Robere & Jacqueline (aka Pepe & Gigi) with Ella (the Miniature Poodle) & Tibet (the Lhasa Apso).
2012 Toyota 4Runner 4.0 liter V-6 4x4 followed by
"blue note" a 2010 17' SD HLA

#2 sparky1

sparky1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 272 posts
  • Local time: 10:35 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:13Ft Patriot Deluxe
  • Interests:camping in something--
    I have a female cat
    good sam lifetimer
  • Casita Club Directory #:2911 virginia

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:05 PM

I'M a former Good year employee (Alignment & Brake Mechanic)
Personally the answer is YES,-tires cup out from Out of Balance--loose or worn parts or bad shocks---the out of Balance and bad shocks go together---Casita Have No shocks(well mine doesn't) since it had Torsion axle,
so my 2 cents is Yes, have them balanced.
sparky1 in southern,Va.

#3 SteveH

SteveH
  • Casita Club Member
  • 439 posts
  • Local time: 09:35 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 17' SD
  • Interests:Camping, Hunting, Fishing, Radio Control Aircraft, Kayaking, Photography, Travel

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:09 PM

Mine are ballanced, and always ballance them. I figure even if they are not out far, the trailer will enjoy a smoother ride, as will the contents. Vibration can damage lots of things, and if it's severe enough, can even be felt in the tow vehicle.
Regards,
Steve

#4 Indy-hp

Indy-hp
  • Casita Club Member
  • 333 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:18 PM

smooth = good

vibration = bad

balance tires

:)
Henry & Debbie
2010 Honda Ridgeline

#5 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,773 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:52 AM

"Yes" gets my vote too.

From the Goodyear website on maintaining your RV tires.
http://www.goodyear....e/tirewear.html

Granted, this info is probably intended for Class A, C, etc. rather than trailer tires, but I'd rather error on the side of caution and safety.

Eileen
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#6 Robere

Robere
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 91 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2010 17' SD HLA
  • Interests:nature, jazz, history, and friendly people

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:43 PM

Research, professional advice, opinion, and logic all pointed to balancing the Casita tires. They are now balanced and my mechanic indicated that they were indeed significantly out of balance. The question now is why Dexter doesn't balance the tires before shipping the axle assembly to Casita? Furthermore why doesn't Casita suggest we balance our tires before heading down the highway? Safety should always "trump" the bottom line.
Robere & Jacqueline (aka Pepe & Gigi) with Ella (the Miniature Poodle) & Tibet (the Lhasa Apso).
2012 Toyota 4Runner 4.0 liter V-6 4x4 followed by
"blue note" a 2010 17' SD HLA

#7 friz

friz
  • Casita Club Member
  • 607 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:16' LD

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:23 PM

I have an old time "Bubble Balancer" that Sears used to sell for $10. These things should still be available, and should be good enough for those who don't tow faster than 60 mph.
The "on car" wheel balancer used a roll around motor rig to spin the wheel. Then a round thing the size of a hubcap clamped to the wheel. There were 4 little knobs extending from the center to adjust location and amount of weight. The operator would open a car door, then adjust the knobs for the minimum amount of vibration. If you can find a tire shop that hasn't moved in 50 years, they might still have one.

friz

#8 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,126 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17' SD
  • Interests:Family, home, traveling w/fiberglass trailer, computers, chess, short track stock car racing, bowling.

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:40 PM

I agree with the consensus and balance my trailer tires. Like HP-Indy said, vibration is BAD!

As to why doesn't Dexter balance ... Dexter does not provide the wheels and tires to Casita. Casita gets them from the lowest bidder by the truck load. Why doesn't the lowest bidder balance them ... because then they would not be the lowest bidder. Why doesn't Casita (or Scamp, or any of the other trailer manufactures) suggest you balance them - because then we would ask them why they did not balance them! Why doesn't Casita balance them - because they are selling all the trailers they make and have a waiting list.

Still, they make a darn decent trailer!

Don & Sherian, 2013 Ford F150, 4.0 V6, Crew Cab
07 Casita 17' SD w/HLA (Egg Motel, room for 2 - to go)

Photos of our mods and other stuff: http://tinyurl.com/2dz93g

#9 jkoenig24

jkoenig24
  • Casita Club Member
  • 25 posts
  • Local time: 10:35 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Flying, Mac computers, Shooting Sports particularly handguns, skiing, photography
  • Casita Club Directory #:How do I find this?

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:26 PM

Last weekend, I attended an RV Bootcamp sponsored by the Escapees RV Club. Most of the attendees had motor homes / 5th wheel rigs that dwarfed my little Casita. Tires were a very important issue and Neil LeKander stated that, barring issues such as vibration or unusual wear, he would NOT recommend balancing trailer tires. He worked in the tire industry for 32+ years as a design engineer. He said balancing would do no harm but, with properly mounted tires, he didn't think the small benefit would justify the expense. He also didn't think Nitrogen inflation was worth paying extra for. The most important thing was to have the tires properly inflated and, if you can not get get inflation exactly right, it was less damaging to be slightly over inflated than under inflated. Under inflation is the same as overloading and accounts for most of the tire failures / accidents. Tires should be checked before every trip and, tire pressure should be checked every morning while on the road. Knowing exactly what your tire pressure should be can only be determined after your rig has been properly weighed.

I've been curious if balancing the Casita tires is essential. Do you have any experience pro or con? We have 6000 miles on our 2010 SD without having balanced the tires and have not had any handling problems nor unusual wear patterns. Unless there is a safety or tire life issue I'm reluctant to have the tires balanced at $12.50 per unit. Did you balance yours? Did anything change? What persuaded you to balance your tires?

FlyGuy

#10 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,773 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:05 AM

Everything Neil told you about inflating and overloading is true.

However, if you're asking for a definite answer about whether or not to balance your tires, expect to get the same advice as you would about the furnace or the awning. Some will tell you you need it, others will tell you you don't.

My advice would be to do what makes you comfortable.

If you're curious about my tires, I had them balanced. It doesn't cost much and I want to do everything I can to give them a longer life.

Eileen
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#11 dfltil

dfltil
  • Casita Club Member
  • 234 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' SD
  • Interests:We love to travel and make new friends. In addition to attending Casita rallies we cook with the Dutch Oven groups. We've cooked with and judged Chuck Wagon Cookoffs. I'm learning to play the Banjo and will now add Bluegrass gatherings to our travel agenda.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1991

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:55 AM

If you've seen wheels spinning that are out-of-balance the answer would immediately be clear.
Don and Trudy
Dunnellon, Florida
TV: Toyota Tacoma
2006 17' Spirit Deluxe "Brutus"
Members LSDOS, Soggy Bottom Bluegrass Bunch
Go Bucks!

#12 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:13 AM

If you've seen wheels spinning that are out-of-balance the answer would immediately be clear.

"Boom goes the Dynamite" ...... mine are balanced also
Joe

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#13 cdsmith

cdsmith
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:12 PM

I buy my tires at Discount Tire.

They fix flats for free and rotate/balance for free.

To balance or not to balance.

Whether or not a new tire is in balance has more to do with the flow characteristics of neoprene (rubber made from oil).

When the tread and sidewall is molded the heat causes the neoprene to become plastic and it flows into the mold for the tread. Even if it flows evenly into the mold there is a characterristic of tire manufactuure called 'sidewall indentation'. This is where the molding of the neoprene leaves a indentation in the sidewall due to a lack of sufficient material to over lap where it is joined. This causes the tire to be unbalanced.

You should always err on the side of safety and have you tires balanced.

Incidently this also applies to the tires on a new tow vehicle.
Joyce and Charlie Smith, Princess Lily, Rose, and Violet - Grand Prairie, TX
RV: 1999 SD "The Little Egg"
TV: 2007 Escalade 2WD 6.2L V8 - 6L80E Trans - 3.42 Diff
Brake Control: Dexter Predator DX-2

#14 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:34 PM

I've seen that characteristic many times on sidewalls but never got a complete explanation of it..... I just knew it was there.
thnx,
Joe

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4