• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 JudyinWis

JudyinWis
  • Casita Club Member
  • 172 posts
  • Local time: 04:39 PM

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:44 AM

I'll be replacing my perfectly good-looking more than 3 year old tires this spring, and wonder if i should consider getting 15 inch tires. What are the pros & cons? Will they fit a 2008 17 ft Casita?

Judy

#2 SteveH

SteveH
  • Casita Club Member
  • 439 posts
  • Local time: 03:39 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 17' SD
  • Interests:Camping, Hunting, Fishing, Radio Control Aircraft, Kayaking, Photography, Travel

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:36 AM

I just installed 215/75 X 15 tires mounted on 15 X 6 wheels on my 2002 17' Casita, and they fit fine. As far as I can tell, the trailer does not have the high lift axle.
Regards,
Steve

#3 Indy-hp

Indy-hp
  • Casita Club Member
  • 333 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:55 AM

Pros:
  • 15" will have fewer revolutions so less heat and a higher load bearing capacity
  • will lift dump valve and general clearance 1" higher.
Cons:
  • expense of 3 new wheels
  • must buy new spare
  • higher center of gravity, wind profile and step into trailer by 1"
Fitment:
  • 14" Goodyear Marathon ST205/75R14 are 26.1" in diameter (http://www.goodyear....s/marathon.html)
  • 15" Goodyear Marathon ST225/75R15 are 28.3" in diameter
  • a difference of 1.1" in radius
  • Measure the clearance of your 14" ties to the nearest point in the wheel well
  • make sure you have at least 2" of clearance to allow for the suspension travel, If not, I do not believe 15" will fit

Edited by Indy-hp, 28 December 2010 - 10:56 AM.

Henry & Debbie
2010 Honda Ridgeline

#4 scubarx

scubarx
  • Casita Club Member
  • 100 posts
  • Trailer Name:The Outlaw Oliver

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:19 PM

You really shouldn't have to buy a new spare and wheel as long as you've not changed the axle and bolt pattern. Our original tires were 15" with a five bolt pattern. We went up to 16" wheels and tires after a new axle upgrade was done by the factory on our trailer and the bolt pattern changed from five to six bolts. I decided I wanted a heavier duty tire so I went up to a LT225R7516 tire because they were 10 ply and could handle over 2600 pounds each at 80psi. The spare is still a ST215R7015. Yes, it’s smaller but if I ever have to use it, it will just have to spin faster to keep up with the bigger tire on the other side. And some folks have worried about not using “ST” tires on our SINGLE axle trailers. Isn’t all that worry about side wall stress in turns really a non-issue unless you have a double axle setup?

Steve, Tali and the dogs: Reacher, Lucy and Rocky plus our beloved Storm and Maggie (both waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I Outlaw Oliver
2014 Legacy Elite II Outlaw Oliver

2017 Silverado High Country 2500HD Diesel 4x4

ALAZARCACOCTDEGAIDILINKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMSMO

Not all those who wander are lost,

And the road goes ever on...

Seeing America in our Outlaw Oliver(s) since 2008...

#5 JudyinWis

JudyinWis
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 172 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 04:57 AM

Thinking i would have to buy a 3rd new tire to have a spare i was ready to chuck the idea of switching to 15" tires. Having that called into question put me back on the fence. Belatedly realizing that i'd be in for the added expense of new wheels in addition to the price differential between the different sized tires, i'm back off the fence.

It's pretty clear i wasn't born thinking like a guy, but i'm learning.

Judy

#6 highwayfl

highwayfl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 602 posts
  • Local time: 05:39 PM
  • Interests:Long distance hiking, backpacking, seeing what is out there so as to lessen the regrets of mark Twain, plus sea kayak touring, kayak fishing the salt water flats and surf fishing, accumulating memories now, while I can, to remember later, when I cannot.

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:37 AM

Me Too!!

One day in the near future I will have to replace my 14" tires and it is nice to know that if I go up to 15" tires, which I have considered, I likely may not have to replace my rims too, or even the 14", unused, always covered spare. Now that good info just saved me a bunch of cash!

Thanks for the info, scubarx
'00 Casita, 16' SD 3936 - "Motel One"
'02 Jeep Wrangler, Straight 6, 4.0 L, 4WD, 5-speed
Pulling the Egglet with Aplomb!

#7 Donna D.

Donna D.
  • Casita Club Member
  • 454 posts
  • Local time: 01:39 PM

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:42 AM

Thinking i would have to buy a 3rd new tire to have a spare i was ready to chuck the idea of switching to 15" tires. Having that called into question put me back on the fence. Belatedly realizing that i'd be in for the added expense of new wheels in addition to the price differential between the different sized tires, i'm back off the fence.

It's pretty clear i wasn't born thinking like a guy, but i'm learning.

Judy

This is strictly a personal opinion, but one I used for myself. Buy two of the best tires you can afford for the trailer and the cheapest spare you can find that will work for your application. This only works if you don't rotate all three tires on a regular basis. I have to wonder how many owners have NEVER had the spare off the back of their trailers. I haven't in more than 10 years of trailer ownership and I know I'm not alone. I make sure it's always at proper air pressure before I take off on a trip though. I DON'T go miles away from civilization, there's always a town within 30-50 miles. I figure the spare is a temporary to get me to the tire store and that's all.

BTW: I have custom wheels on the trailer, but only the standard white spoke wheel for the spare. The tire/wheel never sees sunlight, so why bother making it "pretty."

YMMV

Edited by Donna D., 31 December 2010 - 06:45 AM.

#8 KandJ

KandJ
  • Casita Club Member
  • 506 posts
  • Local time: 02:39 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' FD
  • Trailer Name:Humpty Dumpty

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:14 AM

One great advantage of using 15" tires is that you can find them anywhere as they are more common. They come in many different brands and load ratings. Load range "D" tires in 14" wheels are hard to come by while 15" load range "D" are the norm. There are places where you may not find 14" tires when you need one in your travels.

Keith

2006 17' FD
2003 Ranger 4X4 Ext Cab 4 liter

Our Travels

AVE IMPERATOR MORITVRI TE SALVTANT

#9 Chris Z

Chris Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 788 posts
  • Local time: 05:39 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' SD

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:59 AM

Switched to Khumo 195's (14") several years ago and have many miles now after having several blowouts with Marathons. My axle is so out-of-center with the wheel well that I cannot go larger unless I lower or move the axle. I'm happy now. Really wouldn't want to make my step higher or get more air-resistance up high unless I had a better reason than I have now.
#2077 Louisville, Ky
2006 Black Chevy Suburban
2005 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

#10 JudyinWis

JudyinWis
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 172 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:57 PM

One great advantage of using 15" tires is that you can find them anywhere as they are more common. They come in many different brands and load ratings. Load range "D" tires in 14" wheels are hard to come by while 15" load range "D" are the norm. There are places where you may not find 14" tires when you need one in your travels.

Keith

A good argument in favor of 15" tires. So what are the good brands other than Maxxis and Khumho in 15" load D LT tires? Are there any good names for 15" Load D ST tires?

Judy

#11 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,434 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:55 AM

I'll be replacing my perfectly good-looking more than 3 year old tires this spring, and wonder if i should consider getting 15 inch tires. What are the pros & cons? Will they fit a 2008 17 ft Casita?

Judy

I struggled with the expense of buying new wheels and tires at the same time. I searched the forum for other ideas. The Kumos bothered me because they are not a trailer tire. I was told by more than one source the side walls with be constructed differently for a trailer tire. I found this thread on the Goodride tires mentioned. The Goodride 215/75R14C (26.68" tall) tire that has a load carrying capacity of 2465# someone in the thread said they were 8 ply the guy that mounted them for me said they were 10 ply. We have about 4000 miles on them and they are heavily loaded 3640#. I had it weighed with a full fresh water tank, empty black and grey water tank. Do specifically ask for Carl Martin and identify yourself as a Casita owner. We live in Central Texas about 6 hours from Houston in a VERY rural area, World Wide Tires has a courier service that delivers tires, they delivered my for $6. I don't know how you can drive from the next town from us and deliver tires for that price. They were delivered two days after ordering to my front gait. I have been very happy with the tires, they were a little over $60 each, half the price of the Marathons.

oops! forgot to include the link from the thread on the Goodride tires
http://www.casitaclu...__1#entry117311

here is the link to the other Casita forum on these tires and who to call and talk to about your purchase.
http://www.casitafor.......=4302&st=60

Clover

Edited by clover, 10 January 2011 - 08:04 AM.

• U.S.M.C. Don likes this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#12 MMoe

MMoe
  • Casita Club Member
  • 318 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:56 AM

I am not a tire expert, but have ordered a LOAD E tire and will have them installed on my Casita. I was wavering between the Maxxis and Towmaster. The dealer said he has not had anything negative said about either tire. I imagine the Load E is a bit over kill, but will try this. My Marathons have approximately 17,000 miles on them and were made in November 2007. I bought my unit used so I am not certain of the exact mileage. I may be replacing them too soon, but feel like this is good prevention. Or I hope so anyway. Just wanted you all to know there is a Load E tire available in the 15" tire.
Moe
2009 17' FD (now a FreeSpirit)
2008 Avalanche

#13 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,230 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17' SD
  • Interests:Family, home, traveling w/fiberglass trailer, computers, chess, short track stock car racing, bowling.

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:13 PM

I have had tires from three manufacturers on my eggs.

Multiple sets of 14” Goodyear Marathons – multiple tread separation failures.
Two sets of 14” Kumho 857s – excellent service, one road hazard failure, cut sidewall.
Current set of 15” Continental Vanco-8, about 12,000 miles now, no problems.

Some random things I have learned/observed:

ST tires made anywhere seem unreliable (tread separation) when used on Scamp 19’ and Casita 17’ trailers.
ST tire sidewall construction is not needed on a single axle trailer any more than it would be on the rear axle of an automobile.
ST tire compound is designed to resist damage by UV rays when the tire is unused for long periods of time and in direct sunlight.

If using non-ST tires and they will be exposed to long periods of direct sunlight when unused, it is simple to devise plywood or cardboard covers to shield the tires from the UV rays.

It is easier to obtain higher load rated tires in 15” sizes than in 14” sizes and even easier when going up to 16” sizes
Our typical 14” and 15” wheels have a 5 on 4 1/2, zero offset, bolt pattern and I have never located any 16” wheels that would fit that pattern. Thus it is necessary to either use wheel adapters or change axles when going up to 16” tires

I have never heard or read a report of a steel wheel failing when running 65 psi or less. Unless your wheel is marked “55 PSI MAX”, you might question the need to buy new wheels when running load range D tires at 65 psi, or less.

When buying custom wheels, you must MAKE the salesperson obtain wheels rated for trailer use, if that is what you really want. But, like ST sidewalls, you might question the need for having reinforced hub trailer wheels for a single axle trailer.

As shown in the attached photo, there are more factors to consider than wheel diameter when determining if a specific tire will fit on your trailer. While my 14” Kumhos were taller than the OEM 14” Goodyears, my current 15” Continentals are shorter than the Kumhos.

The attached chart shows how little the size difference is between the OEM 205/75/14 and my 205/70/15 Continentals. Remember that a wheel that is 1" greater in diameter can only raise the tire 1/2" into the wheel well (the other 1/2 is below the axle). Here is a link to that comparison web site – you can use it to compare your own tire sizes.
http://tinyurl.com/2dd5jj

My personal opinion? I would (and have) gone up to load range D, 15” inch tires and run them at 60 or 65 psi. If I ever have a need to replace my axle, it will be with on that has the 6 bolt configuration and I will then go up to a 16” tire. Overkill(?) – most likely, but when I am traveling down the road, tire failure is not something I want to be concerned with. Did that on one 8,000 mile trip when forced to travel with 3 year old Goodyear Marathons and it sure took a lot of the fun out of the journey.

Attached Thumbnails

• 040 End view 3 tires noted.JPG
  • SC109.jpg

Don & Sherian, 2017 GMC Canyon, SLT, crew cab, short bed, 3.6 V6, 8 speed auto trans
factory brake controller and anti-sway control. Made in USA. Custom Casita graphics.
07 Casita 17' SD w/HLA (Egg Motel, room for 2 - to go), also made in USA
Photos of our mods and other stuff: http://tinyurl.com/2dz93g

#14 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 01:39 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:45 PM

Pros:

Cons:
Fitment:
  • make sure you have at least 2" of clearance to allow for the suspension travel, If not, I do not believe 15" will fit

I never took geometry, but I believe the difference between a mounted 14" and a 15" wheel is not 1" in height, it's only 1/2". The 1/2" is added to the circumference.

Eileen
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#15 SteveH

SteveH
  • Casita Club Member
  • 439 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 17' SD
  • Interests:Camping, Hunting, Fishing, Radio Control Aircraft, Kayaking, Photography, Travel

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:47 AM

Pros:

Cons:
Fitment:

I never took geometry, but I believe the difference between a mounted 14" and a 15" wheel is not 1" in height, it's only 1/2". The 1/2" is added to the circumference.

Eileen

Eileen,

Actually, the 1" is an increase in diameter of the wheel, assuming the tire is the same size, i.e. a 205 and a 205. However, a 1" increase in diameter will only raise the trailer 1/2", because there is 1/2" increase on each side, on the bottom and the top.

Edited by SteveH, 11 January 2011 - 05:49 AM.

• clover likes this
Regards,
Steve