Photo

Most useful kitchen appliance?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Poll: Most useful kitchen appliance? (80 member(s) have cast votes)

Single most useful cooking appliance?

1. Microwave (33 votes [41.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.25%

2. Convection/Toaster Oven (20 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Slow Cooker or Crockpot (6 votes [7.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.50%

4. Propane or Camp Oven (11 votes [13.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.75%

5. Other?? (10 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 msu1966

msu1966
  • Casita Club Member
  • 16 posts
  • Local time: 12:05 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:SD 17
  • Interests:Travel to see Grandkids, photography, woodworking, pottery (wife only).

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:40 AM

Has anyone used a "CanCooker" by Seth McGinn?  Does it offer any additional cooking options compared to a Microwave?  I plan on taking a 3 month trip and like always, available space is an issue.   I would like to know if the CanCooker lessens the boredom factor by only cooking with a Micro, stove and outdoor grill?

Thanks 

Ken

#32 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 988 posts
  • Local time: 08:05 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:07 AM

From reading about it on their website, (since I hadn't seen or heard of it before,) it seems like it would be a bit large for cooking meals for just two people, especially since you have mentioned factoring in best use of your "available space" as being a concern. I have a small pressure cooker which we take, that can also double as a regular pot as well if needed. A real "pressure cooker" will cook even faster than that "steam kettle" CanCooker, that this thing appears to be. I'm sure it would work, just not so sure I would need or want something that big, and which basically can't be effectively or handily "multi-purposed" as readily. Looks to me like it would be somewhat inconvenient to use for anything other than "closed lid steaming." I also wouldn't ever be without my outdoor Camp Chef 2 burner grill with the "flat top" and "grill box" either, as I personally wouldn't care to eat the same old boiled or stewed meals all the time. I enjoy a lot of diversity in my menu planning. But that, as expected, requires more cooking methods and other equipment. It's all a trade-off. I take a lot more things to prepare food on or with than I probably need, but I like having them enough to tote them around. I think that you will soon tire of trying to do all your cooking for every meal in a "one pot" method. Just my 2 cents. YMMV

Edited by Euphoria, 24 October 2016 - 02:03 PM.

• Steamboat likes this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Super Dooper Deluxe

2016 Chevy Silverado, Crew Cab 5.8L V-8, 4X4

2004 Nissan Frontier, Crew Cab, V-6 2WD

Casita Club # 2754

#33 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,740 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:28 AM

Euphoria, having had only one experience with pressure cookers (and that was a tomato rain shower and thank god it wasn't my fault or my kitchen) I am wary of them. Does a camp stove provide enough steady heat to use a pressure cooker? Or am I getting the dynamics of it all wrong?

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#34 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,740 posts
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:55 PM

We wouldn't go camping without our beat up, battered, propane fueled Coleman stove. I have no idea if the new ones are worth the money. We looked at the new Coleman Triton and it didn't seem to be as sturdily built as the older models. The dials, especially seem to be pretty flimsy.  I'm not sure what we'll go to when this one finally goes to the Big Campground in the Sky.

But then there are others appliances...when we have power I want my Cuisinart toaster.  When we first bought the Casita we didn't get the microwave...I don't use the one in my home for more than defrosting or baking a potato, so why bother. Instead we got the Breville Smart Oven and while it is nice...it's still, well I don't know. I guess if we were full timing it I'd use it all the time.

#35 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 988 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 26 October 2016 - 06:33 AM

Euphoria, having had only one experience with pressure cookers (and that was a tomato rain shower and thank god it wasn't my fault or my kitchen) I am wary of them. Does a camp stove provide enough steady heat to use a pressure cooker? Or am I getting the dynamics of it all wrong?

Hi Meadowlark,

Well, I can't speak for most other camp stoves, but my two-burner Camp Chef stove has two 30,000 BTU output burners (each). I could probably darn near forge steel on it. Glad you weren't hurt by the incident you mentioned. I don't know how old the pressure cooker was that blew up, but most all the newer ones have several safeguards built in to prevent them from going ka-boom. If your stove can boil a pot of water, then you won't have any problem using a pressure cooker. I find that after it comes up to temp and starts to pressurize, then you turn the heat way down to low for the rest of the cooking cycle so it actually not only cooks at a low application of heat, but due to the pressure, it cooks in about 1/3 (or less) of the time that it takes to cook something in a conventional pot with a lid. This not only saves considerable time, but also saves on propane, and would probably save gas on the old pump-up Coleman stoves as well. They're very efficient, and the food comes out so tender and flavorful. As an added bonus, the pressure cooker, sans lid and gasket, can also do double duty as a regular pot if needed, so it is a good choice for limited space as a multi-purpose cooking appliance.

Greg

Edited by Euphoria, 26 October 2016 - 06:50 AM.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Super Dooper Deluxe

2016 Chevy Silverado, Crew Cab 5.8L V-8, 4X4

2004 Nissan Frontier, Crew Cab, V-6 2WD

Casita Club # 2754

#36 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 08:46 AM

Thanks, Greg. I will look into a pressure cooker. I was a kid when the one blew up and you talk about making an impression? Holy cow, it was, as we used to say in the Army,  a "significant emotional event". My brothers, though, thought that raining tomatoes inside was just tooooooo cool.... :rofl2:

#37 MorganA

MorganA
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 11:05 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:none

Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:41 PM

In the absence of an oven for the Casita stove, I consider a Convection/Microwave the most important appliance.  Cookies, cakes, and pizzas are pretty darned important components to camping!